Your official "Should we have used a timeout" thread | Syracusefan.com

Your official "Should we have used a timeout" thread

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Discuss.

I think 100% yes. Given the game flow- unforced turnovers all half, including the previous possession.

Overall, I love the effort, but we killed ourselves. Freshman made freshman mistakes.

Twice we have the ball with a chance to take the lead and don't get a shot off. Ugh

Not even a question... Joseph has shown he will cough ball up a lot... Gotta call a TO, give it to Xmas and let him go. If they double kick it out and shoot it

Freshman made freshman mistakes.

Absolutely Joseph will get better and learn, but for on the road #20 team in a hostile environment.

When they were down 10 could have folded. They didn't.

Never like to lose. Saw some good things in defeat.

Safe to say that Joseph is no Tyler Ennis.

He's got some skills and does some good things, but I don't trust him at all right now.

Gbinije needs to be the guy with the ball in his hands down the stretch.

JB generally doesn't take that timeout. We had the ball and a chance for the win. Why allow Beilein and Michigan to get set on defense..

JB generally doesn't take that timeout. We had the ball and a chance for the win. Why allow Beilein and Michigan to get set on defense..

I have no problem with that strategy in general, but considering the personnel...

I don't think it's really close.

Would love to hear from those who support the no TO call.

I hear people say all the time that JB has always been a "roll the ball out and let them play" type of coach. Given the circumstances- on the road, shaky young PG, team has 18 turnovers already including a throwaway the previous possession, I just can't see why you don't take it.

I also expect this thread to grow to 5+ pages by tomorrow. This is a message board, after all.

Because you can get set on offense.

cliftonparksufan said:

Kaleb was out of control. I knew that wasn't gonna end well, JB should have known too.

Because you can get set on offense.

Eh, does that matter? Getting set on offense just lets Michigan get set on defense.

In the moment I wanted a time out, especially when we crossed half court and obviously had nowhere to go. But I can see why he didn't call a TO (which is far different than trying to comprehend why Shafer punts when he punts).

A timeout wasn't necessary. Being prepared to get the rebound and feed Xmas was.

Eh, does that matter? Getting set on offense just lets Michigan get set on defense.

In the moment I wanted a time out, especially when we crossed half court and obviously had nowhere to go. But I can see why he didn't call a TO (which is far different than trying to comprehend why Shafer punts when he punts).

I think it absolutely matters.

Again, freshman and more importantly, shaky PG.

I think it absolutely matters.

Again, freshman and more importantly, shaky PG.

Shaky with world of potential.

You can see it. It's right there, just a little bit out of reach. I like this team. I like their flaws and their "holy f*** are you kidding me" moments. It's going to be a rough season, but I think they'll surprise us, get to the ACC semis or finals and then get to the Sweet 16 a a 6 seed.

So much time left...still no clue what Kaleb was doing.

I'm okay with the no timeout. I expect a bad shot by Joseph (maybe we get the rebound), not a dribble into nowhere and then a dribble off the foot. I guess maybe I should expect that...You got one timeout left, maybe you think it's worth saving. I don't know.

I lean heavily toward timeout, but I'm not angry we didn't call it.

Because it was probably more important for us to get set on offense. Our most inexperienced player with the ball in his hands. I haven't seen anything from Joseph YET, that says give him the ball and let him do something to win you the game. Clearly a case where JB should change his modus operandi to fit the circumstances he is playing with.

Because it was probably more important for us to get set on offense. Our most inexperienced player with the ball in his hands. I haven't seen anything from Joseph YET, that says give him the ball and let him do something to win you the game. Clearly a case where JB should change his modus operandi to fit the circumstances he is playing with.

As he did against Iowa - maybe he told them to get the ball to G and that's why McC threw it directly at his head!

I figured it out! :)

No clue. The lack of timeout shouldn't cause that...but, you probably call the timeout. Run a set.

Historically Boeheim's gone without the timeout there. He trusts his point guard to make something happen.

Last year he'd often take it, even with the Golden Boy running things. Surprised that he wouldn't take it tonight, since this group is even sloppier. It looked like a wild miss or a turnover from the instant Joseph crossed half-court.

another thought, with Michigan only having 5 team fouls if we take timeout it allows Michigan to prepare to foul in the middle of the play and force another inbounds and I believe at that point Syracuse would have been out of timeouts if it had taken one after the 2nd missed 1&1 by Michigan. Not saying that was the reason JB didn't call the timeout but it might have been a thought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom