Your Official SU-UL Game Thread | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Your Official SU-UL Game Thread

JB chose to bench Battle tonight. I don't think he was sick.

Maybe. Not sure if we can conclude either way.

We won 5 straight by executing at the end of close games. They could've quit down 7 in regulation and down 7 in OT but they came back each time. We lost a close one against a good team, it happens. We just have no margin for error at this point because of the non-conference
Well-said!

I don't know about you guys - but for us to go 8/34 from 3; get outrebounded by 8; take 15 less foul shots; and shoot a lower percentage from the field than them - and to STILL be right there at the end. I think we shot to beat them in Louisville

AW3 was 7/24 and 2/14 from 3
Gillon 3/11
Battle 1/7

And we still were right there.

Still not sure why Gillon can so easily blow past his man when the game is under two minutes, but before that point he is unable to do so!

I would normally agree, if they didn't have multiple offensive rebounds that were pretty much uncontested. But yes, our offensive execution was terrible at best for large chunks of that game.
A lot of those we had the ball in our hands and fumbled it. I hate the fatigue excuse, but we looked tired fighting for the ball.

If he didn't get fouled, I think he makes the put-back.

It looked like he hesitated a little instead of going straight up which gave Mahmoud time to recover a little. Oh well, at least he was in there rebounding...

I don't know about you guys - but for us to go 8/34 from 3; get outrebounded by 8; take 15 less foul shots; and shoot a lower percentage from the field than them - and to STILL be right there at the end. I think we shot to beat them in Louisville

AW3 was 7/24 and 2/14 from 3
Gillon 3/11
Battle 1/7

And we still were right there.
Yup, buts its still a big ole fricken L. We had our chance. It's too bad. Our guys deserved better

Absolutely needed to find a way to win that game in regulation. It seemed like the play called was for Dillon to drive and try to get fouled. There needed to be another option.

A lot of those we had the ball in our hands and fumbled it. I hate the fatigue excuse, but we looked tired fighting for the ball.
Haha! Maybe that explains the poor rebounding overall for the last twenty years! They've just been tired the whole time!!! Haha!

Yup, buts its still a big ole fricken L. We had our chance. It's too bad. Our guys deserved better
We did. But I don't see why we can't give these guys a game in their place and maybe pull out a W if we shoot better.

Haha! Maybe that explains the poor rebounding overall for the last twenty years! They've just been tired the whole time!!! Haha!
I never use fatigue as something to point at, but you can't tell me there weren't moments where we looked absolutely lethargic. They played their guts out regardless.

White couldn't make a shot and two guys that are like 30 years old made bad plays with the ball at the end of regulation and OT. Bad coaching.
Several reasons for putting the ball in Gillon's hands there:
- he hit the huge 3 to tie it, and deserved the chance
- he's normally our best ball handler for penetrating inside and/or scoring at the rim
- if he gets fouled, he's money at the line.

I never use fatigue as something to point at, but you can't tell me there weren't moments where we looked absolutely lethargic. They played their guts out regardless.
They definitely looked tired. I have been pleased with the last bunch of games. After that crap show against SJU I was worried they'd pack in the season. I'm proud of the fight!

Absolutely needed to find a way to win that game in regulation. It seemed like the play called was for Dillon to drive and try to get fouled. There needed to be another option.
I'd need to watch the replay, but it initially appeared to me that all of the Louisville defenders collapsed on Gillon and Lydon looked wide open around the foul line (but behind Gillon).

Several reasons for putting the ball in Gillon's hands there:
- he hit the huge 3 to tie it, and deserved the chance
- he's normally our best ball handler for penetrating inside and/or scoring at the rim
- if he gets fouled, he's money at the line.

Agreed. I was being sarcastic with the "bad coaching" thing. A lot of these guys were way too lippy early in the game about how bad our coaching is...like they are every time we are playing bad.

These guys aren't robots.

Don't know if Battle was still weak and under the weather or if he was pulled because he wasn't doing anything. Was not aggressive creating offense. His shot was off 1-7. No steals. I don't think he was near 100%.

Really? I'm not doubting you - but I know Hop said earlier today that Battle was a full go.
That's what you say pregame. When he's sucking wind 3 min in is a different story

Lydon just disappears way too much.

Gillon got us into OT, but otherwise, kind of awful tonight.

Frank Howard was close to our steadiest player today, maybe? Huh?

Roberson. You had your chance to be a hero!!! God I was rooting for you...

Lydon disappears because Gillon can't get him the ball. So they pass it around the perimeter until either White shoots or Gillon shoots.

Lydon disappears because Gillon can't get him the ball. So they pass it around the perimeter until either White shoots or Gillon shoots.

He's too small to throw a post pass around guys that guard him on the perimeter.

There was one glaring play in the 2H where Lydon had a guard posted up and Gillon stares right at him but won't throw him the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom