Your thoughts: who is our glue guy? | Syracusefan.com

Your thoughts: who is our glue guy?

jekelish

Living Legend
Seth Davis tweeted suggestions for best glue guy in the nation, and it made me think about who we would submit as ours. Initial thought went to Brandon, then CJ, before I finally settled on who I think is 100% our glue guy: Baye Keita.

He's an energetic spark off the bench, an emotional leader, works as hard or harder than anyone, and just in general does whatever is asked of him to help the team win. That seems like the definition of a glue guy to me.

MCW

it all comes apart without him

This is what I was thinking as well. I know he is the star of the team but he is involved in almost all of our good offense. He also seems to key the defense. Plus we simply have no replacement even remotely close to him on the team.

MCW

it all comes apart without him
I'd call MCW our most valuable player. He's certainly the one that we can least afford to be without. But I'll agree with jekelish that Keita is our glue guy. Obviously a role player (playing a very big role at that) communicating well on and off the court. The team may not completely come apart without BK but I think he does more to help the team than most people realize or give him credit for.

triche, does a little bit of everything and gets buckets when we NEED them.

Yeah, when I think "glue guy" I think the epitome of a role player. That's why Pace was always our glue guy. That's also why I think BMK fits the bill this year more than anyone else, because he's happy to fill whatever role is needed of him.

mcw is our all everything guy, but if i had to pick someone else ill go cj.

Another Triche opinion here. Steady and reliable.

MCW is the star, JSouth the 6th Man off the bench, CJ the steady contributor. We need all three to show up in order to win.
The glue guy keeps the motor running when things stall. He makes the key play, be it a steal, a pass, a rebound or a jumper.
Clearly, our glue guy is Brandon Triche.

I always think of "glue guy" as an off-the-court, keeps-everyone-mentally-grounded, & effects-team-unity guy... which is why I'm sticking with my nomination for James Southerland.

I'd call MCW our most valuable player. He's certainly the one that we can least afford to be without. But I'll agree with jekelish that Keita is our glue guy. Obviously a role player (playing a very big role at that) communicating well on and off the court. The team may not completely come apart without BK but I think he does more to help the team than most people realize or give him credit for.
I have consistently had Baye as one of our top 6 players in the player ratings. I thought he was excellent at the end of last season and he has continued to give that critical contribution. So, I agree with you that he is more important than he is given credit. (I would put Roc in this category, too)

But, I guess it all depends on what your definition of "glue guy" is. I know typically it is given to a role player, or to someone other than a mainline star, due mainly to their "intangible" qualities. But I think on this team that rule goes out the window. The guys who are holding the squad together with both tangible and intangible qualities are (1) MCW and (2) Triche.

of course, the great thing about an undefined term like "glue guy" is that there really is no wrong answer.

Seth Davis tweeted suggestions for best glue guy in the nation, and it made me think about who we would submit as ours. Initial thought went to Brandon, then CJ, before I finally settled on who I think is 100% our glue guy: Baye Keita.

He's an energetic spark off the bench, an emotional leader, works as hard or harder than anyone, and just in general does whatever is asked of him to help the team win. That seems like the definition of a glue guy to me.
mcw he has sticky fingers.

I vote for Triche. He brings experience, consistent scoring (double figures each game), solid defense and quiet leadership. MCW is clearly the most talented and indispensable player on this team, but Triche is not far behind.

Here's to their continued good health.

either Triche or Fair ... neither are stars but both are excellent roll players

MCW is the glue guy and its not even close. Hes the only one who plays isolation ball.
Our other guys need to pick it up. People will laugh but Rak or possibly Triche and Southerland are our second isolation guys. Tougher to read if Triche is but Rak needs more touches until Dajuans isolation offense comes out. He had two halfway down the rim last game.

MCW also leads this teams motion and halfcourt moving offense. This is our best halfcourt moving transition team maybe ever. Whether or not we will be able to get away with that in the big east against good pass denial teams is tough to say. Also MCW is a heck of a defender, (much better then last year) as many have predicted.

I vote for Triche. He brings experience, consistent scoring (double figures each game), solid defense and quiet leadership. MCW is clearly the most talented and indispensable player on this team, but Triche is not far behind.

Here's to their continued good health.

Agreed. Triche is the glue guy.

I have a hard time calling Triche our glue guy when he's our leading scorer. I think it's yet to be determined. I think of guys who arent one of your top options on offense and always provide positive play. I don't think the conversation of glue guy starts with mcw, Triche, fair, and southerland.