You're currently watching a revolution in the NFL... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

You're currently watching a revolution in the NFL...

Chip Kelly is proving that a hyper paced offense can succeed in the NFL. If they can keep this up for all 16 games and be successful, it will change the face of professional football.
listen i bet the iggs pretty heavily tonight to, but im with RF and his Mr Wolf quote, not only on the season...but this game......

for those of you scoring at home, i bet the iggs because a healthy vick is much better than a healthy rg3, and hes not healthy.

week 1 is a Fn crapshoot most of the time...but we're all flush with $$ and football starved, so why the F not???

You have to have the right players and experience/cohesion for it. Buffalo runs the same offense and in a Week one game against Belichek with a young offense and rookie QB went 3 and out almost every possession and gassed their defense. Up-tempo is predicated on moving the chains, if not it can severely backfire.

You have to have the right players and experience/cohesion for it. Buffalo runs the same offense and in a Week one game against Belichek with a young offense and rookie QB went 3 and out almost every possession and gassed their defense. Up-tempo is predicated on moving the chains, if not it can severely backfire.
that was the best the bills have done on defense against brady in 10 years

The more I watch and study Chip Kelly's offense, the more depressed I get that our new coaching staff has abandoned the scheme we ran last season that utilized many of its concepts. :(

It's true that we have some read option in our offense this year. However, we're using them more as random plays, not as foundations for a packaged play scheme. It seems with so many concepts at work in our offense, Allen has made incorrect reads several times on these read option plays in the first two games. See the zone read plays we ran (both from the pistol formation) on 2nd and 6 with about 2:49 left in the third quarter and on 1st and 10 with about 11:40 left in the fourth quarter of the Northwestern game for a couple of examples. Allen should have kept the ball on the first play, and he should have given on the second. He didn't make the correct read of the unblocked end either time, and the results speak for themselves.

Interestingly, he made the correct "bubble screen read" on the play before this second example--a big gain by Estime based on the fact that the safety was playing 10 yards off of him. Inconsistency in his reads and, therefore, his decisions (along with his tendency to stare down his No.1 receiver) is likely a sign that Allen doesn't quite know or trust what he sees on the field yet. The question is how long can we afford to wait for him to reach that comfort level?

For what it's worth, Hunt's reads were sharper in his one drive, but he also improvised more effectively. :noidea:

Really liked the Triple Option Screen play we ran in the second half the one time. Would love to see Hunt get a chance with it. Cool wrinkle.

Chip Kelly is proving that a hyper paced offense can succeed in the NFL. If they can keep this up for all 16 games and be successful, it will change the face of professional football.

yawn... they can't keep it up. Vick will be injured shortly and that is a guarantee.

Hmmmm, seems it took about one half of football for the Skins to figure it out. I see 7 2nd half points from the Eagles last night.

Hmmmm, seems it took about one half of football for the Skins to figure it out. I see 7 2nd half points from the Eagles last night.
And as Legendof44 predicted, Vick was limping after a long run.

they sure figured it out alright

give up a thousand yards in the first half and entice the other team into slowing down

So, it's pretty well known on this board that my genius is nearly immeasurable, and I'd like to share a story with all of you.

I enjoy playing Risk. I particularly enjoy playing it against people that I've never played against. They don't know what to do with my unorthodox style of play and the chaos it creates. My style is based on two principles. The first is that it is always better to damage your opponent than strengthen yourself. The second is that no one is allowed to maintain a continent, ever. At first, people laugh at the balls out style. Then they sweat because they realize they can't ever gain an advantage. Then by the end they wonder how I actually won the game.

Somewhat recently, an interesting thing has happened - I started playing regularly with a group of guys, and they realized that in order to beat me they needed to play on my terms. Once the styles had synchronized, the winning percentages balanced out between the players, and the games got really, really exciting.

My point is -
OttoinGrotto : Risk
Chip Kelly : NFL

they sure figured it out alright

give up a thousand yards in the first half and entice the other team into slowing down

They weren't even one of the top 5 offenses of the week. Those honors go to

Broncos
Giants
Lions
Texans
49ers

On top of that the Redskins defense was in the bottom 5 last year giving up almost 377 yds/game. I think calling this a revolution in the NFL is extremely far fetched.

I think there are a number of systems that can be successful in the NFL, and the contrasting styles is what makes football fun. It's actually one reason I like college football more, because there tends to be larger contrasts. I remember when Nebraska played Florida for the NC in '96. I thought it was awesome watching the ole fun-n-gun versus the steamroller old school option.

Teams will adapt to this offense like they always have. If you see more teams go to this type of system you'll see defenses get smaller and faster to counter. But then you know what'll happen? As everyone is using these small fast defenses, someone will throw an o-line averaging 340 lbs on the field with two TE and a 235 lb bulldozer of a running back and just run straight ahead and over the smaller defenses. Then, with it's success, everyone will copy it and the cycle will continue.

At one time the Rams with their fastest game on turf offense was the best offense in the NFL. Then the patriots punched them in the mouth (I remember Tebucky Jones' first hit that game, he laid the dude out) and they somehow didn't seem so fast. It'll be interesting to see how things evolve.

I think there are a number of systems that can be successful in the NFL, and the contrasting styles is what makes football fun. It's actually one reason I like college football more, because there tends to be larger contrasts. I remember when Nebraska played Florida for the NC in '96. I thought it was awesome watching the ole fun-n-gun versus the steamroller old school option.

Teams will adapt to this offense like they always have. If you see more teams go to this type of system you'll see defenses get smaller and faster to counter. But then you know what'll happen? As everyone is using these small fast defenses, someone will throw an o-line averaging 340 lbs on the field with two TE and a 235 lb bulldozer of a running back and just run straight ahead and over the smaller defenses. Then, with it's success, everyone will copy it and the cycle will continue.

At one time the Rams with their fastest game on turf offense was the best offense in the NFL. Then the patriots punched them in the mouth (I remember Tebucky Jones' first hit that game, he laid the dude out) and they somehow didn't seem so fast. It'll be interesting to see how things evolve.
patriots probably videotaped everything

Did you watch that game? The oilers did not take their foot off the gas. They just kept throwing and throwing and turning over
Yes, I watched the whole game. Maybe that wasn't the best example in the context that I used it in, but the point was that anything can happen, especially in the last 30 minutes. And it seems so more in the NFL than in any other sport. Did anyone really think that the Redskins weren't going to make a run in the second half yesterday. That's why you rarely see a lot of huge blowouts in the NFL. The coaches are much too smart and the player's are very much competitive.

I think there are a number of systems that can be successful in the NFL, and the contrasting styles is what makes football fun.

At one time the Wishbone offense was the greatest thing since sliced bread. You never saw it in the NFL for obvious reasons and now you never see the major colleges use it. The Wildcat offense was supposed to be a game changed. Where is that now? I think once all the dust settles the most successful NFL teams are still going to be the ones with the prototypical QB who has the best arm. I'm not saying these other guys aren't going to win games, but when the count the trophies at the end of the careers, I think guys like Andrew Luck are going to have more than guys like RGIII.

Yes, I watched the whole game. Maybe that wasn't the best example in the context that I used it in, but the point was that anything can happen, especially in the last 30 minutes. And it seems so more in the NFL than in any other sport. Did anyone really think that the Redskins weren't going to make a run in the second half yesterday. That's why you rarely see a lot of huge blowouts in the NFL. The coaches are much too smart and the player's are very much competitive.
To be fair too, the OC may not have taken his foot off of the gas, but I bet a few players did.

At one time the Wishbone offense was the greatest thing since sliced bread. You never saw it in the NFL for obvious reasons and now you never see the major colleges use it. The Wildcat offense was supposed to be a game changed. Where is that now? I think once all the dust settles the most successful NFL teams are still going to be the ones with the prototypical QB who has the best arm. I'm not saying these other guys aren't going to win games, but when the count the trophies at the end of the careers, I think guys like Andrew Luck are going to have more than guys like RGIII.
Sure. I'm more referring to the new fast paced offenses. I think we'll see success from both the smash mouth ground and pound teams and the fast paced teams. It comes down to execution and match ups.

How's that revolution looking?

There's a reason Chip never won a national championship

How's that revolution looking?
Yep, you're right it was the pace and style of the offense that killed Philly last night. It was the five turnovers (boneheaded plays by traditionally boneheaded players) and the defense never being able to make a stop (last year's achilles heel). But keep telling yourself that the 431 yards of offense and the style of play was what killed them.

Yep, you're right it was the pace and style of the offense that killed Philly last night. It was the five turnovers (boneheaded plays by traditionally boneheaded players) and the defense never being able to make a stop (last year's achilles heel). But keep telling yourself that the 431 yards of offense and the style of play was what killed them.
It's like when Boeheim loses and people scream about the zone. Oh Lord