0-4 last year versus BCS teams in the dome | Syracusefan.com

0-4 last year versus BCS teams in the dome

orangehomer

All American
could this be another factor for the somewhat tepid ticket sales for wake forest?

last year at home, 0-4 against pitt, ville, yukon, and bc

outscored 112-47 (average 28-12) with only one game within one possession.

outgained 1276-1037 (average 319-259).

committed 8 turnovers and forced only 3 (ouch).

4 games might not make a trend, but even if you go back another year marrone is only 2-8 at home against BCS teams. i don't know how good wake forest is, and i don't know how good we are, but if we see another yukon or bc type debacle on thursday it will probably be time to call it a trend.

could this be another factor for the somewhat tepid ticket sales for wake forest?

last year at home, 0-4 against pitt, ville, yukon, and bc

outscored 112-47 (average 28-12) with only one game within one possession.

outgained 1276-1037 (average 319-259).

committed 8 turnovers and forced only 3 (ouch).

4 games might not make a trend, but even if you go back another year marrone is only 2-8 at home against BCS teams. i don't know how good wake forest is, and i don't know how good we are, but if we see another yukon or bc type debacle on thursday it will probably be time to call it a trend.
Absolutely! Way too much over-analyzing the reasons for tepid interest. Last year was certainly a major step forward. But, as you point out, 0 - 4 vs BCS teams at home. Other than diehards like us, who wants to watch a team lose? Frankly, I can't blame folks for thinking that they might sit out a game or two to see if this season's Orange are any good.

All those teams had a solid power running game that SU could not match up with on D and good enough defenses to stop our offense from scoring more points than they did. I just can't figure out why people don't just show up to support the kids that committed to play at a school they are a fan or alum of.

All those teams had a solid power running game that SU could not match up with on D and good enough defenses to stop our offense from scoring more points than they did. I just can't figure out why people don't just show up to support the kids that committed to play at a school they are a fan or alum of.
Because a football game is entertainment. You pay money to have a good time. Watching a team loose is not most people's idea of a good time.

I think you're giving our fans a lot of credit by singling out BCS teams - I was shocked at the number of people at the Dome who had no idea that Northwestern is in the Big 10.

Because a football game is entertainment. You pay money to have a good time. Watching a team loose is not most people's idea of a good time.

That's where you and I differ because I go to support the team but I do understand the swing vote theory of attendance. I do agree that the game atmosphere is lacking and if SU and the fans can get something going and make this a I'm not going to miss an SU home game type of thinking it would help.

I
That's where you and I differ because I go to support the team but I do understand the swing vote theory of attendance. I do agree that the game atmosphere is lacking and if SU and the fans can get something going and make this a I'm not going to miss an SU home game type of thinking it would help.
I'm sure you do. A lot of people do. Those, plus the students, get us to 40K. But, if we want to have the Dome bulging at the seams, then the casual fan has to believe that SU has a legitimate shot at beating any team in D1. We're not there yet. But, we were in recent history - the McNabb, McPherson years. If SU puts a better product on the field, people will buy it. And the Dome will be back at capacity.

I
I'm sure you do. A lot of people do. Those, plus the students, get us to 40K. But, if we want to have the Dome bulging at the seams, then the casual fan has to believe that SU has a legitimate shot at beating any team in D1. We're not there yet. But, we were in recent history - the McNabb, McPherson years. If SU puts a better product on the field, people will buy it. And the Dome will be back at capacity.

I understand your point but to win you have to be able to recruit and having that empty cement to look at does not offer an exciting invitation. Why do you think one of the big times Marrone recruits is during a big basketball game? Again, I do see what you're saying but having the Dome be 20% empty along with fans that are in my opinion too quiet, make for a very sterile environment and not attractive way to recruit the big time players. I think Marrone does a great job of evaluating but sometimes it's nice to get some 4.4 speed guys with size to say yes.

I understand your point but to win you have to be able to recruit and having that empty cement to look at does not offer an exciting invitation. Why do you think one of the big times Marrone recruits is during a big basketball game? Again, I do see what you're saying but having the Dome be 20% empty along with fans that are in my opinion too quiet, make for a very sterile environment and not attractive way to recruit the big time players. I think Marrone does a great job of evaluating but sometimes it's nice to get some 4.4 speed guys with size to say yes.
That's a good point. Maybe a chicken & egg thing. But, SU was in the same position after the Maloney disaster. Mac did exactly what Marrone is doing to rebuild the program. He slogged through the weeds to find excellent players who just weren't on the radar. I, for one, do believe there are plenty of those, e.g. Crume.

ok so i just went back further, the last 6 seasons 2005 through now in the post-P era.

our record at home is 13-26, with 4 wins against FCS teams, which puts us at an abysmal 9-26 against 1-A since 2005.

to get even more depressed, we are 4-25 against BCS. 4-25 since 2005. do i need to type that again? 4-25 since 2005, at home, against the BCS.

bottom line, is that unless you are the chicago cubs you actually have to win something sometime for your fanbase to continue throwing money at your product. i agree with the sentiment that you should look the other way and support the kids, hell i am a preferred donor for this crap (makes me feel like an idiot). but at the end of the day you need to win if you want support.

ok so i just went back further, the last 6 seasons 2005 through now in the post-P era.

our record at home is 13-26, with 4 wins against FCS teams, which puts us at an abysmal 9-26 against 1-A since 2005.

to get even more depressed, we are 4-25 against BCS. 4-25 since 2005. do i need to type that again? 4-25 since 2005, at home, against the BCS.

bottom line, is that unless you are the chicago cubs you actually have to win something sometime for your fanbase to continue throwing money at your product. i agree with the sentiment that you should look the other way and support the kids, hell i am a preferred donor for this crap (makes me feel like an idiot). but at the end of the day you need to win if you want support.

On the other hand, our fans have televison sets and the internet, and were able to see what our road/neutral record was last year, including the bowl game. So being humans and not Pavlovian dogs, they should be able to discern that their mere attendance at a home game does not connote a loss.

For attendance to be where we all want it to be, reasons to not go have to get eliminated.

Even with the great improvement last year, all the conference losses at home are an 'excuse'.

Winning, with a fun and productive offense, will take the biggest one away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom