#1 | Syracusefan.com

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
With next week's big matchup with Nova, if (not a big "if", but a larger than your average "if") SU wins, is there any way they don't get the #1 ranking?

Upstate said:
With next week's big matchup with Nova, if (not a big "if", but a larger than your average "if") SU wins, is there any way they don't get the #1 ranking?

Depends on Az

yes. i guess there is a chance it could happen - but more than likely we will remain #2.

No chance.

Not how the polls should function, in my opinion, but they don't leapfrog teams over unbeaten #1s (or keep teams ranked #1 after a loss, as they did with us in November 1987) anymore.

As JB has said: "We're only ranked 2nd because we started off high & we haven't lost". Until Arizona loses, they'll stay ahead of us...since they started off higher as well.

We might get a few more #1 votes, but we won't leapfrog an unbeaten Arizona team.

Cheers,
Neil

I'm really worried about this nova game. It honestly doesn't mean much, but I want to win badly.

I'm really worried about this nova game. It honestly doesn't mean much, but I want to win badly.

I agree...it's very hard to keep perspective on these things (still only December, not in conference, could still very easily be a number one seed in Buffalo\MSG) but then being a fan isn't rational really.

We could beat Louisville, Ohio State, and The Heat in consecutive days and not be number one unless Arizona loses.

But that would put us in the drivers seat in the Eastern Conference.

There's no way we would beat the Heat, even if you put Carmelo on our team.

see-what-i-did-there-kekekeke.jpg

I am very worried about Nova, especially since I won't be there to cheer them on and I have an uneasy feeling that watching it in front of my extended family will cause bad mojo for my team. They'll be all, "Peggy, come play Screw Your Neighbor! Why do you want to watch a game when they're losing?" and "Peggy, we're all going for a family swim. Forget about that stupid game!" My only hope is that the Louisville Cousins will be steadfast in my corner, since their game is right after.

Damn. I hate being out of control!

This game is pretty much for a #1 seed in the east at this point. We gotta deliver.

But Nova always KILLS us. Wright knows how to coach against the zone like no on else and this year he has a lot of talent. Ugh.

zeekay said:
This game is pretty much for a #1 seed in the east at this point. We gotta deliver.

But Nova always KILLS us. Wright knows how to coach against the zone like no on else and this year he has a lot of talent. Ugh.

Always? Nova is 11-8 against us with Wright as coach according to one article I found. So an advantage but hardly always.

Yes it does mean a lot. I hate these arguments where December games dont mean anything. EVERY game is important. This game has seeding/pod position written all over it.

Agreed. Completely foolish to think otherwise.

I am very worried about Nova, especially since I won't be there to cheer them on and I have an uneasy feeling that watching it in front of my extended family will cause bad mojo for my team. They'll be all, "Peggy, come play Screw Your Neighbor! Why do you want to watch a game when they're losing?" and "Peggy, we're all going for a family swim. Forget about that stupid game!" My only hope is that the Louisville Cousins will be steadfast in my corner, since their game is right after.

Damn. I hate being out of control!
If you ain't out of control you ain't in control.

I spent way to long looking this quote up so I would have it right.

I am sure we would pick up some first place votes if we beat Villanova convincingly. However, as has been said earlier in this thread we won't jump Arizona unless they lose a game. If we win this game though we will have a comfortable lead for now over Duke for being the ACC team that eventually gets put in the East regional played at MSG. Duke only has 2 big non-conference wins Michigan and UCLA. Syracuse beating Villanova would win mean Duke would probably have to win the ACC regular season and post-season tournament to end up with a better resume than Syracuse. That is why we need to beat Nova and split with Duke in the regular season and avoid many What losses to stay ahead of Duke on the NCAA selection committee's S-Curve.

If you ain't out of control you ain't in control.

I spent way to long looking this quote up so I would have it right.
I stared a long time at that quote and tried to discern its meaning. I believe the implication is that we are never in control, which I partially agree with!

I stared a long time at that quote and tried to discern its meaning. I believe the implication is that we are never in control, which I partially agree with!
I just watched all the Fast & Furious movies and for some reason that quote stuck in my head and I thought it was too good of an opportunity to pass up using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom