10 games left in the regular season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

10 games left in the regular season

I say this every week, but it is infuriating that we lost to 3 BAD teams. Beat UConn, beat ODU, beat GTech, and we're sitting at 18-3, 7-1 in ACC, and probably ranked #10 in the country.
Agreed but I only consider us as 2 games behind schedule because nobody saw us beating Duke on the road. So while I see what you are saying I think we should look at it as we should be 17-4, 6-2.

SU BB sb be called Anxiety U cause nobody we play is winnable or loseable and no matter how big a lead or deficit the game ain’t over til the fat lady sings

...which is difficult given the remaining schedule, but achievable.

Although the results ain't always pretty, this team actually seems to have upside / room to improve. I could see us losing in the first round, or catching fire at the right time and making a final four run. Need to actualize that potential.

This team is actually turning out to be fairly entertaining in the sense that I have ZERO idea what to expect. Which means things may just continue to improve. :) There are times we actually run like a well-oiled machine, and times we look abominable and like we may never score again. Hopefully we catch fire (as you said) and make that run.

Seeing Buddy light it up of late has been tremendous, Pascal has had some fun moments, and Tyus when he's on is insanely entertaining to watch. Sid continues to disappoint for me, same with Frank in the playmaking department, but OB made some shots inside yesterday - including a nasty dunk, so maybe he can turn a corner at some point and just attack, attack, attack the rim. We'll see.

Anyway, I wish this team seemed to be higher energy - that's likely my only big complaint overall. At times we look complacent, it's hard to gauge the legitimacy of such things, we just sort of appear lackadaisical for stretches.

This team is actually turning out to be fairly entertaining in the sense that I have ZERO idea what to expect. Which means things may just continue to improve. :) There are times we actually run like a well-oiled machine, and times we look abominable and like we may never score again. Hopefully we catch fire (as you said) and make that run.

Seeing Buddy light it up of late has been tremendous, Pascal has had some fun moments, and Tyus when he's on is insanely entertaining to watch. Sid continues to disappoint for me, same with Frank in the playmaking department, but OB made some shots inside yesterday - including a nasty dunk, so maybe he can turn a corner at some point and just attack, attack, attack the rim. We'll see.

Anyway, I wish this team seemed to be higher energy - that's likely my only big complaint overall. At times we look complacent, it's hard to gauge the legitimacy of such things, we just sort of appear lackadaisical for stretches.
Love your optimism and I wholeheartedly agree.

I break the ACC schedule down to 3 segments:

1) first 6 games - wanted to go 5-1 and we did
2) next 5 - wanted to go 3-2 or 4-1, we're 1-1 so far with a good chance of reaching the goal
3) last 7 - wanted to win 3, to be determined

I really hope we can beat Pitt this Saturday and then win the next 2 home games, we'd be 9-2 going into the last 7 and basically only needing to go 2-5 to make the NCAAT with the possibility of 1-6 being good enough.

Now that January is just about in the rear view mirror, we're just shy of halfway through the ACC conference schedule -- 15-6 overall, 6-2 in conference, with 10 games remaining in the regular season [hard to believe]. Here they are:
  1. 2/2 @Pitt
  2. 2/5 FSU
  3. 2/9 BC
  4. 2/13 @NIT State
  5. 2/20 #15 Louisville
  6. 2/23 #2 Duke
  7. 2/26 @#9 UNC
  8. 3/2 @Wake
  9. 3/4 #3 Virginia
  10. 3/9 Clemson
A couple of quick observations:
  • That stretch from 2/13 - 3/4 is a murderer's row
  • We'll be facing 4 teams ranked #15 or higher in the last 6 games
  • 5 home / 5 away games
  • Next three games are critical to sustaining momentum -- can't afford to stub our toe, with a tougher stretch looming beyond that
  • Need to split remaining games to attain 11-7 conference record
  • If we do that and knock off one of the ranked teams, I think we're safely in

Going to be a tough road -- hope we're able to avoid the February swoon, and finish relatively strong. We've gotten off to the start we need in conference, just need to find a way to claw out 5-5 or 6-4 record, and we're sitting pretty.

The more I look at our schedule, the more ridiculous it seems. We’ve had to play both at Duke and at Virginia Tech with a one day turnaround which was a day of travel. End of this month we get Louisville, Duke and UNC in the span of a week!
Then to top it off we get a one day turnaround for Virginia. Show me a schedule that’s tougher than that.

Duke win was massive but don’t sleep on the OSU win; they are currently #31 in Ken Pom. If they maintain that ranking by selection Sunday that’s a great out of conference road win

Duke win was massive but don’t sleep on the OSU win; they are currently #31 in Ken Pom. If they maintain that ranking by selection Sunday that’s a great out of conference road win

Really? They are still that high in Ken pom? They are like 3-6 in the Big 10.

Really? They are still that high in Ken pom? They are like 3-6 in the Big 10.
Ken Pom cares more about efficiency than you think. OSU had the tough B10 stretch but they have wins at Cincy at Creighton neutral vs UCLA and at Nebraska. That’s 2 top 25 roads wins, along with #55 road win and #72 on a neutral

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom