10 healthy scholarship players | Syracusefan.com

10 healthy scholarship players

RF2044

Living Legend
Been a long time.

Practices / competition for PT is going to be intense next year, which will only improve the team overall.

Also, Battle indirectly boosts our limited depth at forward, too, along with Hughes / Braswell.

As you posted a couple weeks ago -- this is extra sweet because it adds (back) another two-position player. We've recently had bad news this time of year (transfers/draft time), so it FEELS GREAT to have our leading scorer - and emotional leader - coming back.

I'm wondering if, with Howard-Carey, and Tyus-Hughes being the odds on favorites for PT next year, this development changes the calculus for HW or even BB deciding to RS (Buddy seems less likely).

Last edited:
Here's the rotation:

Guards - Frankie, Battle, Carey
Forwards - ThickBrisket, Marek, Hughes
Centers - Chukwu, Sidibe

In case of emergency, break glass - Howie Washington, Braswell

That's a squad that can compete.

Exactly. Our depth gives us so many options. Assuming frank, battle, brisset, dol, and chukwu start, carey will get real pt spelling both guards, and hughes will get real pt spelling battle and brisset and dolejaz, with either brisset or dolejaz playing PF on offense when hughes is in at forward.

It'll be interesting to see if buddy redshirts. He might have to if carey is as good as advertised from day 1. And that might be the best thing for everyone. I could see buddy taking an andy rautins route.

Here's the rotation:

Guards - Frankie, Battle, Carey
Forwards - ThickBrisket, Marek, Hughes
Centers - Chukwu, Sidibe

In case of emergency, break glass - Howie Washington, Braswell

That's a squad that can compete.

I would go with Buddy over Washington in an emergency as he can shoot 40-45% from three -- HW was 17% with a small sample size, but it's fair to say that Buddy is a significantly better perimeter shooter and could be a huge asset at times. Although HW can play the point, you have 3 other guys that can play the point.

with a lot of versatility (demonstrated or potential) that can give jb the options of an even deeper squad

six guards - frank, tyus, jalen, howard, elijah, buddy
six forwards - oshae, marek, elijah, robert, tyus, buddy
four centers - pascal, bourama, marek, robert

Been a long time.

Practices / competition for PT is going to be intense next year, which will only improve the team overall.

Also, Battle indirectly boosts our limited depth at forward, too, along with Hughes / Braswell.
Not to wish the summer away, but can school start tomorrow. Way too many things can happen between now and the first day of class. Let's make this the least eventful offseason ever.

Lots of potential and legitimate depth, yes indeed. Quite exciting. But we have all had these hopes before. Will JB finally go deep into the bench routinely or more likely again cap it at 8 tops for meaningful PT during the ACC season (no other mitigating factors included). Then again maybe 8 is enough. Whatever it is, I'll take it.

Depth tightens as the year goes on. I see a final rotation of frank, (battle) Carey, Hughes, OB and marek.
JB goes with who he trusts

Depth tightens as the year goes on. I see a final rotation of frank, (battle) Carey, Hughes, OB and marek.
if healthy boo will be in there

Depth will allow them to Trunk Monkey whenever they feel like it.

And remember it's a long season. People could get banged up and miss some games. And now we don't have to play 3 people 40 minutes/game! And we don't have to wonder if walkons play if there is foul trouble! I could see 8 people capable of getting some material minutes all year - Frank, Battle, Carey, Hughes, OB, Marek, Sidibe, and Chukwu. Buddy and Braswell get looks at times.

It will be very interesting. We have 10 fouls to give at center (more if Marek can slide in there), so they can play aggressively. The question of Battle/Hughes at the 3 is a good one. It seems like it will depend more on DF, and if one can fill the slot at zone. I think it's possible. Plus NOVA has so much success with those smaller lineups. We have the people to emulate that if the matchup is right

We will need to be more creative with the line up this year. You know Battle, Howard, and OB are getting no fewer than 30-35 minutes in touch matchups, so you bring the other guys in for quick spells.

Overall so happy to have depth and flexibility. It's been a long time.

That's pretty much the way I see the rotation - Frank (Carey), Tyus (Hughes, Buddy), OB and MD (Bras. and Hughes or Battle) and Chukwu (Boo). This gives us tons of options to cope with injuries, avoid fatigue and fouls and take advantage of matchups/hot-hand. Normally, I don't like playing a SG at forward because of the hit we take on the glass. One of the reasons our defense was so good last year is that our rebounding was (finally) improved and we limited second chance points. Even 2 years ago when we played White (6-7) at forward, he was built like a BSH and still couldn't rebound the position. We put a 6-8 guy there with springs and boom .. 8 rpg. Yes I get the Nova thing (and GSW in the pros), and yes the goal is to score more than the other team. But you can't score without the ball and rebounding (especially defensively) is a tougher challenge with the zone than M2M teams. We'll see what happens ... but gotta LOVE the depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom