10 players to watch vs. Holy Cross (Syracuse Football Podcast ep. 7) | Syracusefan.com

10 players to watch vs. Holy Cross (Syracuse Football Podcast ep. 7)

Can anyone summarize? Unfortunately at work and cannot listen

Young Mr. Jonas had quite the offer sheet prior to his tearing his ACL his senior year. Syracuse stayed with him despite the injury while some of the "blue bloods" backed off or lessened their interest. Young Mr. Jonas showed his appreciation for Syracuse staying with him by signing with them. He was standing directly in front of me last Saturday. He was dressed for the game #20 and he is quite frankly, an imposing physical specimen. I hope we get a chance to see him play on Saturday against Holy Cross. Go Cam Jonas, Go Orange!!!!!!!!

Young Mr. Jonas had quite the offer sheet prior to his tearing his ACL his senior year. Syracuse stayed with him despite the injury while some of the "blue bloods" backed off or lessened their interest. Young Mr. Jonas showed his appreciation for Syracuse staying with him by signing with them. He was standing directly in front of me last Saturday. He was dressed for the game #20 and he is quite frankly, an imposing physical specimen. I hope we get a chance to see him play on Saturday against Holy Cross. Go Cam Jonas, Go Orange!!!
Would like to see him run a few fly patterns

Would like to see him run a few fly patterns

Is he playing on the offensive side of the ball? I thought he was working at safety.

Is he playing on the offensive side of the ball? I thought he was working at safety.
yes defense , but if he isn't playing why not use the fastest guy on the filed for something

yes defense , but if he isn't playing why not use the fastest guy on the filed for something

I don’t know the answer but is he faster than Jordan?

Supposedly Jonas ran a 4.28 cuse timed not
Combine official like to see them both out there ! Why not
If this is true they need to get this alien on the field ASAP. 6’2 210 pounds running a 4.28??? Sign me up 10x over

If this is true they need to get this alien on the field ASAP. 6’2 210 pounds running a 4.28??? Sign me up 10x over
There’s a difference between running a 4.3 and playing at a 4.3 guys

Cam Jonas passed the look test for me. Julian Whigham had nothing but good things to say about him. If Foster keeps taking his usual bad angle on tackles, I wish they would give Cam Jonas or Devon Clarke a shot. I mistakenly thought it was Clarke who completely whiffed on a hit on Wassink when in fact it was old bad angle Foster. Go Orange!!!!!

Yeah I often wondering if ole NyQuils angles would be better if he focused less on knocking them out and worried more about knocking them down...

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing what Adrian Cole could do in the secondary.

Interesting that Bailey brought up Linton. Out of all the young DL I expected he and Goulbourne would be the last to see the field due to their lack of size. Maybe Linton has put on the weight. He is a very interestin prospect at 6' 5" off the edge. Good to hear.

There are way more than 10 i want to see but here is my list.
1: Welch. Hes always one snap away from becoming very important. I hope he plays half the game.
2: Rex see above
3: Tisdale
4: Tuazama. Biggest hole next year is at DE and DT
5: Linton. See above
6: Rondi. See above
7: Arku. Looks like a potential star. I see him as our 3 in the 4-3 next year
8: Jonas.
9:Foster. One of these guys start next year they will both be on the 2 deep
10:Bergeron. 2 deep next year
11:Red. 2 deep next year
12:White. 2 deep next year
13: Cooney. Replaces the Legend next year
14: Morton: see above
15: Queeley. Needs to remind the coaches how good he is
16: JJ. I always save the best for last.

Interesting that Bailey brought up Linton. Out of all the young DL I expected he and Goulbourne would be the last to see the field due to their lack of size. Maybe Linton has put on the weight. He is a very interestin prospect at 6' 5" off the edge. Good to hear.

Given that they can all play up to 4 games, and still keep their RS, there's no reason not to play pretty much everybody vs. Holy Cross.

Even our 3rd stringers and walk-ons are probably better than most of their starters.

Can anyone summarize? Unfortunately at work and cannot listen

They each listed five players to watch in this game:

Bailey: Clayton Welch, QB, Javar Jordan, RB, Steve Linton, DE, Courtney Jackson, WR and Pat David, OL.
He wants to see what our back-up QB has. He wants to see Jordan's speed; he's the fastest guy on the team (4.33 in the forty) behind Carl Jones, (not Cam Jonas). He said Linton is too light to take on ACC tackles a this point but he's got great speed for a DE and could emerge as a star in a couple of years. he also wants to see what the very quick Jackson can do with the ball. Davis came in for Ryan Alexander vs. WMU and made some good plays. Bailey thinks he'll be needed down the stretch.

Whigham: Cam Jordan, WR, Juan Wallace, LB, Cam Jonas, DB, Allen Stritzinger, DB, Jarveon Howard, RB.
He wants to see what Jordan can do with his size. Wallace comes from IMG in Florida, where the "facilities might be better than Syracuse. Everyone is so big down there". You heard the Jonas clip, (Jonas played some WR in high school, not here). Stritzinger made some good plays vs. WMU and had an interception in the bowl game. he feels Howard will emerge as our primary running back someday and that the goal line/short yardage role is too limiting for him.

Bailey wondered if Adams' fumble might set him back and make an opening for Howard because fumbleitis was an issue for him at Oklahoma. Whigham said of Jordan that he has speed but for a running back, hitting the hole hard is the big thing and he may not have the body yet to do that. he described how easy it was for him in the beginning to cover Brisley Estime and Erv Phillips until they got strong enough to push him away at the line of scrimmage. He also cited Moe Neal's lack of strength at the beginning of his career. Finally he mentioned pass blocking, which is an important part of the running backs' job here.

They also talked about Qadir White, saying that getting his weight down and "picking up the plays" has been a problem. His high school coach told Julian not to judge him until about two years in. In the meantime, some guys have moved head of him in the depth chart. "The closer you are to the ball, the harder it is to get on the field" due to he physical nature of the game and all that has to be learned.

Eric Coley was also mentioned as a guy to watch. I still think he could have a big career here, even though he's fallen behind classmates like Cisco, Williams and Melifonwu. They also discussed Cornelius Nunn, who missed a couple of practices for personal reasons. Maybe we'll see him.

One I would like to see is Cooper Lutz. Young man had a few catches in the Spring Game and is supposed to be fast. Need somebody to step up because the slot position has been AWOL this year. Go Orange!!!!!