10 years since we were in the Bottom 10 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

10 years since we were in the Bottom 10

A few things to cheer everyone up on the heels of back-to-back close road losses:

1.) We should be 6-0. We had victory in our hands both games, but lost at the bitter end. When was the last time we were this competitive in every game? Oh yeah, those combined losses in ACC road battles were by only 11 points. 11.

2.) Our younger talent is beginning to stockpile a bit. Recruiting is clearly on the up and up since 2015 and will continue to find its stride as younger talent gets better looks at our program. Talk to anyone close to the program and they'll tell you first hand how much better the entire team is. Across the board improvements in depth and talent.

3.) We have a much needed bye week. This goes for both the players/coaches AND the fans. Everyone is hot after those close losses, but remember, cooler heads make more sound decisions and have better reactions. Take a breather.

4.) Our offense is not perfect, but we're averaging over 43 points per game. That is absurdly better than anything we've done in the last 15 years. People wanted to see a run and gun exciting offense, well we got it.

5.) Many on here think we lose out, but remember, there is STILL a possibility, albeit a small one, that we win out and finish the season 10-2. The biggest thing is at least getting to a bowl game, which I think is base case. The 15 extra practices and the small amount of additional exposure it gives our program are worth its weight in gold.

6.) The momentum is currently against us, but people we're really starting to take note of Syracuse Football. The biggest takeaway here is that not all hope is lost for the "casual" fan in the future. If we were 6-0, the Dome would've been frigging rocking. That is still alive in the future just when everyone thought the football fan was lost forever.

7.) Dome renovations will make the in-game experience better for the fan. Although I'm not a fan of the tailgating environment, once you're in the Dome, it will only get better over the next few years.

8.) We have Devito, a stable of young RBs and WRs and a loaded secondary that will be around for 3+ more years. Staff is well aware of the glaring future weaknesses on this team and are extremely busy behind the scenes making moves. I suppose this is where some blind faith needs to be had.

9.) It's been 10 years since we appeared on ESPN's Bottom 10 list. Those days were humiliating. Gameday did a segment about how far our program had fallen. We are so amazingly far removed from that list, we're still getting votes in the Coaches' poll this week while we're 4-2!

10.) Babers has these guys bought in. The energy is there. The practices are animated and lively. They know the potential and believe it.

11.) We have Babers. Let's enjoy him while we got him because if heaven-forbid he ever left, we would instantly miss him. He is the best option for Syracuse right now and has been able to turn around a program that primarily had D2 talent when he took it over. Sure, there were several talented players, but the majority were not capable of playing at this level. Building out depth in a competitive college football conference is so much more challenging than anyone would believe. He's done an admirable job, even though we're all getting greedy thinking we should be playing in the CFP. For bang for the buck, he's the best Syracuse will ever do. Supporting him and the program is gigantic.

Now go smile, we're not 2-4 or in the Bottom 10 anymore.

Excellent post.

I don't know if I'd say stellar, but it's the best team top to bottom, all three phases, since '12.

Solid top 40 as is, and if they get better in either the pass game or run defense, I'd say solid top 25. Don't have to fix both to do that.

Agreed. Put a patch on the run defense for final 6 and turn Dungey loose running the ball again, open pass game up just a bit more. 7-8 wins

Agreed. Put a patch on the run defense for final 6 and turn Dungey loose running the ball again, open pass game up just a bit more. 7-8 wins

Seeing we have some tough games ahead against power running teams, cleaning up the rush D is pivotal. Also, getting Dungey back mentally is huge as well. Not sure where he was at against Pitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom