105 scholarships coming? | Syracusefan.com

105 scholarships coming?

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

During a meeting Tuesday, power conference commissioners finalized new roster-size limits that pave the way for athletic departments to distribute millions of dollars in new scholarships to athletes in, most notably, football, baseball and softball. Conference officials with knowledge of the figures spoke to Yahoo Sports under condition of anonymity.

As part of the new revenue-sharing model — beginning in 2025-26 academic year — by-sport scholarship restrictions are eliminated, and schools are permitted to offer scholarships to the entirety of their rosters. The new roster limit figures are not final until the approval of House settlement terms.

Football, with a current scholarship restriction of 85, will now have a roster limit of 105 — a 20-scholarship increase for those schools willing to give the maximum. In an important note for football, the 105 may not be a requirement until the start of the competitive season, giving coaches flexibility to go beyond that figure during preseason camp, for instance.

Another key change to the scholarship structure: All sports will be considered “equivalency sports,” meaning partial scholarships can be distributed to players. Football, basketball and other sports are currently considered “head-count sports,” which require players on scholarship to receive a full grant.

105. I guess that means more options from the portal. If kids could not get on the field with 85 how will they ever see the field with 105.
Also, now that schools have to pay the players how much additional cost to the schools.
The power schools will get more HS recruits and they'll promptly portal after their first season is over.

20 more seems like a lot. I don't understand why the schools would want this. What is the reasoning on it?

Also If you add 20 more football spots you have to add 20 more scholarships for a women's sport right?

20 more seems like a lot. I don't understand why the schools would want this. What is the reasoning on it?

Also If you add 20 more football spots you have to add 20 more scholarships for a women's sport right?

Doesn’t matter what is beneficial to most of the college kids or the colleges themselves. This is purely for the SEC and top B10 schools that can afford this. Gives them more opportunities to monopolize recruits and the whole system.

I think reasoning is right now I believe roster limits are already at 105 (including walkons), so with NIL the way it is, any team can just pay the kids tuition through NIL effectively making them equal to a scholarship player. Since the loophole is already there, it makes sense to just let the school "pay" instead of NIL, since they are the ones getting most of the money anyway.

Just off the top of my head I don’t see what does for anyone. Can still only play 11 dudes on the field at a time. but then again I guess you wouldn’t need to fill all those as it seems like a lot of dead weight. But maybe that’s how the sec and b10 keep players from going to other conferences to further put the squeeze on them

This kind of thing really screws the G5. More talent gets stuck at the top and will trickle down to them slower. A 3* kid who might have played for Central Michigan, takes a flyer at Mighigan. When it doesn’t work out, there’s more room at Syracuse to try there. And why not try BC?

A kid who might have had a good experience at a G5 school never makes it there at all while being roster fodder at larger schools and never playing at all

This kind of thing really screws the G5. More talent gets stuck at the top and will trickle down to them slower. A 3* kid who might have played for Central Michigan, takes a flyer at Mighigan. When it doesn’t work out, there’s more room at Syracuse to try there. And why not try BC?

A kid who might have had a good experience at a G5 school never makes it there at all while being roster fodder at larger schools and never playing at all

There are so many players in the NFL who came from great careers at smaller schools. What happens when those talented guys lose two prime playing years rotting on a bench at a big boy school?

This is an absolutely horrendous idea. This will take football back to the Bad Old Days if the 60s and earlier when the bluebloods stockpiled players who never saw the field.

There's an apocryphal story about Darrel Royal, the longtime coach at Texas. When talking to a reporter about the chances of a good-but-not great recruit playing at Texas he said, "I can't guarantee he'll play for the University of Texas, but I can guarantee he won't play against the University of Texas."

Many players aren’t content to just be on a roster, they want to play. They will transfer when they eventually figure out where they stand on the roster if they are 3rd or 4th string.

This, like everything else, will help the big boys the most, and schools like us, even with stud recruiters now, will be hurt. Those mid three star kids from the Northeast who we get and maybe Penn State likes them but has no room for them with the 85 limit? Bye bye in some cases. The G5 will really get crushed by this, but P4 schools like SU will get hurt too. Everything is being designed to solidify a Big 2, followed by a Smaller 2, followed by a death march of a G5. As long as we have automatic access to the playoffs, I guess that is as much as we can ask for, but the task will get more difficult. The Rutgers, Indiana’s, Vandy’s and Northwestern’s of the Big 2 may have more cash coming in, but they will be even more of a punching bag in their conferences, basically the Little of the Big 2!

I don't see the need for more than 70 kids in the first place. That also happens to be the travel squad size. So how does going from an oversized roster already to an even more oversized roster help anything?

Feels like the only people that this benefits is the agents. Now that they will have to pay the players it gives more money to the agents that represent the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom