107-2 | Syracusefan.com

107-2

Boo hoo! The mentality of everyone gets a trophy is setting young people up for a rude awakening when they get into the real world. Life's tough. You didn't like them scoring? Stop them.

Boo hoo! The mentality of everyone gets a trophy is setting young people up for a rude awakening when they get into the real world. Life's tough. You didn't like them scoring? Stop them.

There's a difference between everyone gets a trophy and this. I don't know about you but my coaches taught me that part of sportsmanship was allowing people to lose with dignity when you were against a much weaker opponent. Running up the score is classless, especially at the youth level where you have much wider differences in ability between competitors. It's about respecting others, and acting in a respectable manner.

While we are talking throwing around terms like "everyone gets a trophy", I'll submit that the opposing coach and players are examples of the "all about me, **** you, got mine" mentality leads to things like Enron.

There's a difference between everyone gets a trophy and this. I don't know about you but my coaches taught me that part of sportsmanship was allowing people to lose with dignity when you were against a much weaker opponent. Running up the score is classless, especially at the youth level where you have much wider differences in ability between competitors. It's about respecting others, and acting in a respectable manner.

While we are talking throwing around terms like "everyone gets a trophy", I'll submit that the opposing coach and players are examples of the "all about me, **** you, got mine" mentality leads to things like Enron.

Life's tough. Ive lost a few sports games in my day by wide margins, not 107-2, but pretty badly. I dealt with it.

Nobody is saying these kids won't deal with it. From the article it sounds like they are dealing with it just fine. That doesn't mean it wasn't totally classless and unsportsmanlike. If you can win without embarrassing someone, and you probably can when you are up, say 50 to 0, what do you gain from continuing to thrash someone like that. Work on passing, give your bench players the remaining minutes, have your weak scorers work on their shooting.

If HS kids break 100 points, they are certainly not killing the clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom