11 3's Given Up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

11 3's Given Up

The game has developed. Kids hit open set shots now. Our defense does not put pressure on kids. Kids can sit in the corner and just make it rain. Thats why we keep saying, why did so and so go off. That said, our offense just didn’t produce in the second half, and when that doesn’t happen, our defense simply is not good enough.
Stephen Curry killed the zone

But they’re taking them at such a high rate because we can’t defend them. 42% 3pt pct is equal to shooting 63% inside the arc.

Sixty freaking three!!

You’d be crazy to play us and challenge Jessie vs our perimeter defenders.

We’re giving up 78ppg.

The defense is abominable.

I said the 42% yesterday wasn’t good. For the season it’s 33% which isn’t great either but it’s far from the worse in the country. Everyone and their mother has always equated 3pt fg% defense with how good you were at defending the 3. SU used to be one of the best. We talked about it here. The media would talk about it. Now out of the blue lab in comes up with a volume number to determine who’s the worse. We aren’t the worse, but we aren’t good either. 210th last I looked.

there is a reason the term "volume shooter" exists.

if syracuse takes 8 threes and makes 4. that is 50% shooting. very high number. very low volume.

but if the opponent takes 40 threes and makes 17. that is 42%. not quite as high but still good.

12 points and 50% or 51 points and 42%. which do you choose?

volume of shots matters a lot as well as overall percentage. bad offense cant get the threes off. and bad defense cant stop the open 3s from being shot.

the "3 point war" is not merely a war of percentage.

at the moment, for this team, its being lost on multiple fronts

Huh? Volume volume volume. Right now a player making 3 per game is top 25 in the country. That’s where Joe is. So the next time Buddy or Cole or Joe goes 3-10 or 3-11 or 3-12 or whatever, I expect to see you say they had a great shooting game because it’s all about volume and making 3 a game is very very good per national stats and averages.

Its the volume of 3's in combination with the horrid rebounding that is giving teams so many more shot attempts which makes 3's made a relevant stat.

In any event, the defensive stats are brutal all over the board. Obvious to see based upon our lineup. No speed or athleticism on any of the wings in the first 5.

Last edited:
This argument is tedious. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Maybe we should look at it another way . We are just giving up too many shots relative to the number we take so the percent the opposition makes becomes less of an accurate judge as to the effectiveness of our D.

This argument is tedious. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Maybe we should look at it another way . We are just giving up too many shots relative to the number we take so the percent the opposition makes becomes less of an accurate judge as to the effectiveness of our D.

It's the combination of trey shots given up with poor rebounding leading to second chance attempts that teams are converting.

How many times have you seen the opposition miss a trey against us, get the rebound, whip the ball around again, and then get another open trey and hit it??

It's happened way too often from my view and why we are # 358 for number of 3s made against us. We can't guard the trey and we can't get the rebound when it clangs... rinse repeat for their offense, then swish the second try. Failure in two facets compounding the issue.

Hell, we're even giving 3rd attempt treys after two misses and two conceded rebounds with some regularity.

I believe we’ve dropped to like 240th in 3PT FG % after last game. Whatever it is, it ain’t good.

Teams are letting it fly at a decent clip against us in both percentage and volume. The latter is tough bc while I believe we’re playing faster, it’s not like were 1990 LMU.

Teams are going to attack and have success against our perimeter defense. We knew that before the season as certain as the sun rising in the east.

We aren’t fixing it. We need to become a more offensively efficient team, specifically in the 2H of games, as JB said in his last presser.

Our defense might improve on the margins, but it’s not going to level up. The types of zone we throw out there is a nice wrinkle, but a band aid on a bullet wound.

As JB said, we need to be more efficient (he used the word ‘efficient’, just fyi) on offense. You can argue that’s on him, on the players, a combo, whatever, but that’s where the wins are.

Teams are going to shoot a lot of threes against us and make a decent number of them. We need to outscore them.

I was at the game on Saturday and seeing our defense in person compared to previous years it was apparent how slow we are rotating and challenging shots. Jimmy really struggled getting out to shooters and back to the block. He was really bad the whole second half. Our guards also struggle keeping people in front of them. I am not sure with the athletes we have how this can get much better.

We used to make teams scramble to get good looks, now our defense is scrambling because we can keep anyone in front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom