12 games in--where do we stand as a team? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

12 games in--where do we stand as a team?

This team is better than last years team.

That's a bold proclamation. BUT, if we continue to see offensive improvement...

I'm starting to believe that this team can [and will] be really, really good come March. If not sooner.

Coach made a significant change to help KJ when he is under pressure. Either Mike or Trevor (or both) shadow alongside so that they can receive a pass in the backcourt. This one little change made an enormous difference. Seems to me that KJ has the handle although he could use a change of pace. The biggest problem is his decision making when under pressure. He panics. Having backcourt help has made a big difference but ultimately we are better off if he can put on big boy pants and go solo so that the shooting guard and SF can sprint upcourt.

The big change is using Mike & Trevor to be more aggressive and help initiate offense (in addition to having Mike take a lead role against the press). There are no extra points awarded for having the SG and SF sprint up court. Usually the best defender presses the PG; and Mike may have an advantage against a forward trying to defend. So, use what is working.

If you want KJ to turn into Ennis, beat the press on his own, control the offense -- you will be disappointed this season. If you want a good offense, have the three (Mike, Trevor and Kaleb) share the ball-handling and take advantage of what Mike can do operating from the backcourt.

This team is better than last years team.

I couldn't disagree more. That team last year was exceptional. Cooney turning ice cold once ACC play started killed us. We were 1 more shooter away from a possible National Title contender. I also think last years team ran out of gas.

As for this years team I really think we will struggle to make the NCAAT. I have been encouraged with Cooney's recent play, but I want to see him do it against good competition. I think a lot will rely on how much production we can get from Roberson/McCollough. Overall ball security is also an issue we didn't have last year. KJ has shown signs of life, but overall as a team it's not the strongest. I will be really impressed if Boeheim can mold this team into a top 8 seed.

I knew Gbinije was capable, just needed time and opportunity.

I couldn't disagree more. That team last year was exceptional. Cooney turning ice cold once ACC play started killed us. We were 1 more shooter away from a possible National Title contender. I also think last years team ran out of gas.

As for this years team I really think we will struggle to make the NCAAT. I have been encouraged with Cooney's recent play, but I want to see him do it against good competition. I think a lot will rely on how much production we can get from Roberson/McCollough. Overall ball security is also an issue we didn't have last year. KJ has shown signs of life, but overall as a team it's not the strongest. I will be really impressed if Boeheim can mold this team into a top 8 seed.

If this team continues it's offensive progression / improved play, they will be much more dangerous and offensively diversified than last year's team. And if they get by VT / GT at the start of the conference schedule, they'll be well positioned for a seed higher than an 8 seed.

Agree with your point about needing to PROVE it against conference caliber competition, and needing to cut down on the turnovers.

The hyperbole on Trevor's season last year is way off. He hit a lot of big shots well into the ACC season last year. Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Duke at home It was the last 8 or 9 games that killed us. He's done it against good competition, and he's a completely better player this year. He actually goes to the basket and handles the ball.

It's ok to be skeptical about the season. It's easy to be with four losses, but the upside of this team looks a lot higher to me than last year. Cooney is a better player. Cmac is more talented than Grant. Gbinije has more offensive upside than Cj. Roc is better than himself. We are worse at pg, but I think the improvements at the two and three could help relieve some pressure there.

This years frontline is better than last years. This years Silent G is better than last years and this years Coondog is starting to hunt. KJ is going to be better than TE by mid season. Kieta , meh.

The hyperbole on Trevor's season last year is way off. He hit a lot of big shots well into the ACC season last year. Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Duke at home It was the last 8 or 9 games that killed us. He's done it against good competition, and he's a completely better player this year. He actually goes to the basket and handles the ball.

It's ok to be skeptical about the season. It's easy to be with four losses, but the upside of this team looks a lot higher to me than last year. Cooney is a better player. Cmac is more talented than Grant. Gbinije has more offensive upside than Cj. Roc is better than himself. We are worse at pg, but I think the improvements at the two and three could help relieve some pressure there.

I agree Cooney is a much better player this year. Rak is no doubt one of the top centers in the ACC. Silent G is solid, but I want to see consistency. But it all comes back to pg, which imo is the most critical position in the game. I thought Ennis was special last year. I think being a true Freshman he got a bit worn down towards the end of the year, but he was rock solid with the ball. As much as KJ has shown improvement the past couple games, I just don't see him coming near Ennis level. Plus last year we had the x-factor CJ Fair who was a leader, and a legit go to scorer. To compare Gbinije to him is an insult to CJ.

Hey who knows, I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it. It's just my opinion, but it seems we are just missing something this year.

This years frontline is better than last years. This years Silent G is better than last years and this years Coondog is starting to hunt. KJ is going to be better than TE by mid season. Kieta , meh.

Better then Ennis? Maybe when he is a Jr, or Sr. Ennis carried that team at times last year. The dude was a stud. He was everything you want in a point guard. I don't put a premium on my pg's scoring. I want them to control the game, run the offense, and don't turn the ball over. I just don't see any evidence what so ever that KJ will be better then Ennis by kmid season

Better then Ennis? Maybe when he is a Jr, or Sr. Ennis carried that team at times last year. The dude was a stud. He was everything you want in a point guard. I don't put a premium on my pg's scoring. I want them to control the game, run the offense, and don't turn the ball over. I just don't see any evidence what so ever that KJ will be better then Ennis by kmid season

Agreed--Ennis accomplished last year was nothing short of remarkable, even though he left something to be desired in terms of transition play. But his ability to take care of the basketball, his maturity / Bball IQ, etc. was rare for a frosh.

Joseph is nowhere near as ready. But I think that moving forward, we'll continue to see the offense initiated by Gbinije and Cooney, with Joseph being a complimentary ball handler against the press and in half court sets. So while we'll lake a traditional point guard focus, I still think that the offense can be better than last year's. Especially because Silent G / Cooney seem to have really thrived having the ball in their hands more. It seems to have unlocked both of their offensive potential, and made them dangerous triple threats in ways that neither player demonstrated before JB made the subtle coaching change.

Hopefully, they can sustain it.

Agreed--Ennis accomplished last year was nothing short of remarkable, even though he left something to be desired in terms of transition play. But his ability to take care of the basketball, his maturity / Bball IQ, etc. was rare for a frosh.

Joseph is nowhere near as ready. But I think that moving forward, we'll continue to see the offense initiated by Gbinije and Cooney, with Joseph being a complimentary ball handler against the press and in half court sets. So while we'll lake a traditional point guard focus, I still think that the offense can be better than last year's. Especially because Silent G / Cooney seem to have really thrived having the ball in their hands more. It seems to have unlocked both of their offensive potential, and made them dangerous triple threats in ways that neither player demonstrated before JB made the subtle coaching change.

I have been really impressed with Cooney's overall game for the most part this season. He is also responsible for Gbinije getting some of the looks he got yesterday. If teams are going to face guard Cooney, and either give driving lanes, or open J's we have to make them pay for it. Gbinije did a great job of making them pay yesterday. I want to see G bring it each and every game because if he does we are such a better offensive team. Now if we can get CMac to snap out of his funk we may really be onto something.

Rak needs to stay out of foul trouble. If he's on the bench for any considerable length of time, we're screwed.

Great read. I would add that Rak found his mean streak. On defense, I swear that he is daring anyone to try to enter HIS territory.

Last years team had a lot of lucky wins that could have been loses. Smoke and mirrors. This years team has a stronger will , now that they have become a "team". I don't think they will lose many more.

Thanks! That's high praise.

Can't wait for General, 007, and Coach Orange to chime in with their observations.

Great post, RF (not the one I quoted of course). I am always amazed at the detail and insight in your posts.

I will go on record here and say that if JB manages to continue to improve this offense to the point that we make the NCAAT, this will rank among one of the best coaching jobs in his HOF career. I am not suggesting that this is one of his least talented teams. Clearly, it is not, and you highlighted many of the reasons why in your analysis. The shift in the O and the resulting positive effect on productivity has been impressive.

But...I'm not convinced this will be sustainable when league play starts. I think the poor shooting percentages we saw prior to this recent surge, the lack of depth at the 5, and inconsistency in handling in your face defensive pressure (the type we will see every game in the ACC), will ultimately limit this team's ceiling in the long run. Man, I can not wait to be proven wrong on this one!!

LGO

Last edited:
Last years team had a lot of lucky wins that could have been loses. Smoke and mirrors. This years team has a stronger will , now that they have become a "team". I don't think they will lose many more.

I want to have some of what you're having. I agree that last year's 25-0 was a bit of smoke and mirrors, but nevertheless it involved good wins over good and very good opponents.

So far this season we have close, but no cigar, against relatively mediocre opponents and one close, but no cigar, against a pretty good - but probably not great - opponent.

And, as for a comparison of front lines? Rak is better this year than last, no question. But after that it isn't even close, CJ and Jerami were far and away better than what we've seen so far out of this season's front line. Could this season's front line be better? Maybe, but we need to see (i) Rak stay out of foul trouble against good opponents, (ii) Chris show up again and (iii) Gbinije continue to build on what he has done the last 4 or so games.

Great stuff. Very thoughtful observations, and all right on. I'm also cautiously optimistic about this team, though I have to say an Elite 8 run would be a pretty crazy outcome for this team. Then again, UConn won last year, so literally anything is possible.

... I still think that the offense can be better than last year's. Especially because Silent G / Cooney seem to have really thrived having the ball in their hands more. It seems to have unlocked both of their offensive potential, and made them dangerous triple threats in ways that neither player demonstrated before JB made the subtle coaching change.

I, too, think the offense can be better than last year's.

Two concerns that temper my optimism, though:

Can Cooney finish? It's great that he's getting to the rim, but he's struggled to convert contested layups in the past. Our offense is going to tighten up if he's having too many empty attempts at the rim.

Will Gbinije effectively handle the ball? His recent scoring ability has been remarkable. He's yet to successfully bring the ball up against pressure, though; will he revert to picking up his dribble early and heaving the ball away against more aggressive teams?

By the way, Joseph is going to help both of these players maximize their potential, I think. Yes, his lows are considerably lower than Ennis's lows at this stage. But he's improving every week and he's already arguably a better scoring threat (much better finisher - has he missed any layups yet?) and better at executing a pick and roll.

If Joseph can continue to do a lot of things half-decently, that will make for a much more efficient offense than one with a point who does only one thing (protect the ball) excellently.

Last year's team may have been fortunate to pull out a few of those games, but it also knew how to close out games. This year's team is still in the process of learning how to win; they're not quite there yet, but once they do it a few times in high leverage situations their confidence will grow and they'll be fine.

Took a look at some advanced stats today. Things that stand out. McCullough and Joseph are killing us on offense. Both below 100 Offensive Ratings. Joseph is 86. McCullough 98. For McCullough, with the second highest usage percentage on the team, that needs to improve

Defensively McCullough has been our best. Cooney surprisingly our worst.

Christmas is obviously our best player. The advanced stats point that out. Cooney has added the second most value to the team.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2015.html

People should not underestimate the ability of last year's team to close out games in that 25 game streak. Ennis was solid and effective in the last 5 minutes of games; we out-right stole 3 games in the last minute. It is the polar opposite of what has happened in 3 of our losses this season.

Will this team fix that problem of closing games? Wins against La Tech, Cornell, Colgate or Long Beach are fine, but not really the proof we need. On the plus side, Gbinije is helping to upgrade the guard play, with all 3 contributing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom