1989 Georgetown/Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

1989 Georgetown/Cuse

Just basketball. I miss those days. As much as I love the Dome its getting more and more painful to sit through a game because its so lame these days.

I continue to be baffled (and disappointed) by this trend. No decision-maker at SU realizes this?

I'm as big a Syracuse basketball fan as anyone, but each summer it's getting more difficult to renew our tickets. With a few exceptions, it's just not as fun to go to games anymore.

Gross has done a lot of good things in a decade, but he gets an F in this category. Seriously...a DJ??

OttoMets said:
I continue to be baffled (and disappointed) by this trend. No decision-maker at SU realizes this? I'm as big a Syracuse basketball fan as anyone, but each summer it's getting more difficult to renew our tickets. With a few exceptions, it's just not as fun to go to games anymore. Gross has done a lot of good things in a decade, but he gets an F in this category. Seriously...a DJ??

I cant like this post enough

Eric15 said:
To play Devil's Advocate, some negatives of the 1989 team... -Free throw shooting: no starters averaged over 70% from the line. The only player on the entire team that shot over 70% was Richie Manning and he only averaged 3 points per game. -No bench. Dave Johnson/Manning/Harried/Tony Scott collectively averaged 12 points per game. -Three point shooting: Roe was an excellent three point shooter, and Sherm was good for one per game, but after him there was absolutely nothing.

I will take to my grave this was our most talented team ever based on the fact of hos strong the competition was back then. Take the 89 team against this years schedule and we go 30-1.

Eric15 said:
To play Devil's Advocate, some negatives of the 1989 team... -Free throw shooting: no starters averaged over 70% from the line. The only player on the entire team that shot over 70% was Richie Manning and he only averaged 3 points per game. -No bench. Dave Johnson/Manning/Harried/Tony Scott collectively averaged 12 points per game. -Three point shooting: Roe was an excellent three point shooter, and Sherm was good for one per game, but after him there was absolutely nothing.

Billy owens was at least a threat from behind the arc.

OttoMets said:
I continue to be baffled (and disappointed) by this trend. No decision-maker at SU realizes this? I'm as big a Syracuse basketball fan as anyone, but each summer it's getting more difficult to renew our tickets. With a few exceptions, it's just not as fun to go to games anymore. Gross has done a lot of good things in a decade, but he gets an F in this category. Seriously...a DJ??

It sucks because its to the point where i want to get in and out as quickly as possible. I never used to be like that.

It sucks because its to the point where i want to get in and out as quickly as possible. I never used to be like that.

Yeah, coming early and enjoying the atmosphere doesn't even seem like an option anymore. I don't even care to see the starting lineups (it's so uncomfortable to hear Mr. Excitement's spiel).

It's funny; I move up here for law school, settle here, I'd think that getting to go to 20 home games a year would be my dream come true. It's a chore half the time (yeah, first-world problems, I know).

I'm surprised that we haven't seen push-back against this change. I'm sure it isn't helping the attendance (which, despite the funny numbers they post every game, is way down from last season).

Billy owens was at least a threat from behind the arc.

He made 8 threes as a frosh and shot 22% - more or less comparable to BJ this year.

I think 1989 was great, but I'm not sure they necessarily beat 2003 or 2010 in a Best of 7.

To play Devil's Advocate, some negatives of the 1989 team...

-Free throw shooting: no starters averaged over 70% from the line. The only player on the entire team that shot over 70% was Richie Manning and he only averaged 3 points per game.

-No bench. Dave Johnson/Manning/Harried/Tony Scott collectively averaged 12 points per game.

-Three point shooting: Roe was an excellent three point shooter, and Sherm was good for one per game, but after him there was absolutely nothing.

Some of those are valid criticims of that team. FT shooting was abysmal. We lost more than one game that season where we'd have 8 more field goals that the other team, but go 10-20 from the FT line and lose by a point or two. Even Sherman Douglas, who'd been a more effective shooter from the stripe earlier in his career wasn't immune; he only shot something like 53% from the line his senior year. DC was our most consistent shooter that season, at around 69%.

The bench thing is a bit overstated. Like many of our teams, we had numerous players who were capable of playing multiple positions, which helped to mask the lack of depth. Dave Johnson was the main bench guy, who got increasingly more run over Roe as the season went on. Sherman Douglas almost never came out of the game. Stevie, Billy, and DC rarely did, either -- guys were iron men. Players like Manning and Harried were deep reserves, at best.

We weren't a great three point shooting team, but that was a bit before the wave of three point shooting really took off in college basketball. Roe statistically was our best shooter, but he was often overmatched in games. Sherm could hit them. Billy could hit them. DJ every once in a blue moon would hit them. That was about it. It wasn't a big part of our offensive repertoire.

On the positive side, we were a GREAT rebounding team. Not just good, great.

We had unbelievable versatility, with players like DC, Owens, and even Stevie Thompson proving to be matchup nightmares for many teams.

We had the best point guard in college basketball, and the break neck pace we played really pushed the tempo and made for high scoring, fun games. Sherman Douglas elevated the alley oop to an art form, and he had several players who could go get his lob passes and convert with monster dunks.

Those teams had unbelievable savvy, with several players having tremendous basketball IQ -- Sherman, DC, and Owens.

We had lots of size. I've watched games that year numerous times, where we played teams with HUGE front lines like Georgetown [Mourning, Mutombo], Missouri [Doug Smith, Gary Leonard, etc.] and we would still kick butt inside. Our bigs were that good.

Fun team, albeit one with flaws. If that team had had Andy Rautins instead of Roe [i.e., a guy who could run and defend a little better than Roe was able to, to say nothing of providing a bit of three point firepower], they'd have gone further than the elite 8.

Yeah, coming early and enjoying the atmosphere doesn't even seem like an option anymore. I don't even care to see the starting lineups (it's so uncomfortable to hear Mr. Excitement's spiel).

It's funny; I move up here for law school, settle here, I'd think that getting to go to 20 home games a year would be my dream come true. It's a chore half the time (yeah, first-world problems, I know).

I'm surprised that we haven't seen push-back against this change. I'm sure it isn't helping the attendance (which, despite the funny numbers they post every game, is way down from last season).

Non-SU example: I moved to Ohio for grad school, during the first year that the Cleveland Browns were back in the league. I was able to get tickets to a couple of games that first season, but the game experience was a little off. Every moment of down time they'd blast music over the PA system, have some dopey contest, have videos to show on the scoreboard -- it was too much. As a fan, you got zero downtime from sensory over stimulation.

After that first year, they really toned it down and scaled back. I'm not sugesting that they eliminated all of that stuff, they just toned it down, and it made for a more fun fan experience [other than the shjtty football!]

The game should be the focal point of fan attention, not the kiss cam.

Last edited:
Reaffirms my belief that in a best of 7 series, that team wins the tournament of all time SU teams. Not sure they get pushed to game 7.

I loved the bit where Mutombo had to come in to match SU's size, and that was with Mourning already in.

I continue to be baffled (and disappointed) by this trend. No decision-maker at SU realizes this?

I'm as big a Syracuse basketball fan as anyone, but each summer it's getting more difficult to renew our tickets. With a few exceptions, it's just not as fun to go to games anymore.

Gross has done a lot of good things in a decade, but he gets an F in this category. Seriously...a DJ??
Agreed. It appears Dr Gross is attempting to systematically destroy the fan experience with an amazingly long string of awful decisions regarding how the game day experience is presented. It looks to me as though he and just about everyone else he has hired is completely out of touch with what the fanbase wants (at least the people I know and talk to). Each year it just gets worse than it was the previous year.

Apart from the great basketball being played on the court, every else is a mess.

It is quite unfortunate. I hope someone in the athletic department other than
DRBartlett, our guy on this board, shows interest/attempts to remedy the situation.

It needs fixing.

That was friggin' awesome. Thanks for posting.

JB's histrionics on the sideline were great, especially the celebration at the 1:18:00 mark. "I don't care about this game...NO MORE STUFF ON THE COURT!!!"

The pressing, the trapping, the up & down action, the 2nd half comeback...good times.

Nice to see that Packer was a douche even back then - I especially enjoyed him trying to convince the audience that Owens was over the baseline at the end of regulation, even though the replay showed otherwise.

Burr...ugh.

And Mike Tirico doing the post-game!

Also interesting to see Musberger (who I still like 'cause his voice is so good) senile even then. "Smith to Mourning...tie game!" [8 seconds after the whistle blew for stepping out of bounds].

These are the games that made me a cuse fan. I was 10 at the time, I remember being at a family function at some restaurant and going downstairs to bar area to see score. I vividly remember seeing boeheim going nuts on sidelines. I was never sure which game that was or what the family function was, but it was definitely this game. And I figured out the family function, my cousin was born dec '88 so the christening was march '89. This game was a Sunday afternoon right?

Ya these CBS games were always Sunday afternoon.

God games were different back then. I was 18 years old and college basketball was at its highest point. Dome games were the best. As good as the atmosphere was for Duke last year (and it was awesome) it couldn't touch games like this. There was none of the BS crap that goes on today when you attend a game.

No Mr Excitement
No "Deuce for the Cuse"
No lame ass buzzkill cheerleader cheer that noone cheers with (and why hasnt this been banned yet BTW)
No stupid contests during the game
The blue curtain (no not the tool who posted here but the actual curtain which was awesome)
No piped in music
No DJ (seriously...why the hell do we have a freaking DJ in the student section? So unbelievably weak and embarrassing)
The band played all the time
The Dome Ranger and the Dome Eddie
No Taco Time

Just basketball. I miss those days. As much as I love the Dome its getting more and more painful to sit through a game because its so lame these days.
totally agree...with 1 quibble...

we got free fries from mickey-dees at 100pts.

that was one of those surreal, life hits you moment, as i realized... holy F!! im a student...in the student section going crazy thats being shown on tv...and those are my classmates out there getting it done. this is awesome!!

totally agree...with 1 quibble...

we got free fries from mickey-dees at 100pts.

that was one of those surreal, life hits you moment, as i realized... holy F!! im a student...in the student section going crazy thats being shown on tv...and those are my classmates out there getting it done. this is awesome!!

Yea the free fries were great. Especially as a young kid I used to beg my dad to cash it in on he way home.

Who remembers these cards?

51QBYzeob9L._SY355_.jpg

Eric15 said:

Agree on the shooting and FTs, strongly disagree on the bench thing. Johnson, harried, manning all could play, Johnson especially.

Look at the bodies on Owen, Coleman and Johnson. Physical guys...and uber athletic.

Agreed. It appears Dr Gross is attempting to systematically destroy the fan experience with an amazingly long string of awful decisions regarding how the game day experience is presented. It looks to me as though he and just about everyone else he has hired is completely out of touch with what the fanbase wants (at least the people I know and talk to). Each year it just gets worse than it was the previous year.

Apart from the great basketball being played on the court, every else is a mess.

DRBartlett, our guy on this board, shows interest/attempts to remedy the situation.

It needs fixing.

It's everywhere. You go to lots of road games and it's painful there as well.

Man I am getting nostalgic. Not only were college hoops at their best in the 1980's and 90's but they also coincided with that point in my life where I had very few responsibilities as I was born in 1976. Nothing mattered more to me than Syracuse basketball those cold winters in the Adirondacks. It was also a time where there was no internet and the media coverage of sports was not as quite over saturated as it is now. Any coverage, any article from the Post Standard, Having my dad drive me down to my grandmother's so I could watch Big Monday on cable TV...It all seemed larger than life.

It will never be that way again unfortunately.

It's everywhere. You go to lots of road games and it's painful there as well.
True to some extent, Syracuse isn't alone in this. But the Carrier Dome is a lot worse than most. The most worrisome part to me is that it keeps getting worse; they aren't trying to undo the damage, instead they are pouring gasoline on a fire...

True to some extent, Syracuse isn't alone in this. But the Carrier Dome is a lot worse than most. The most worrisome part to me is that it keeps getting worse; they aren't trying to undo the damage, instead they are pouring gasoline on a fire...

I was at the UNC-NCSU game over Thanksgiving. The amount of hardcore rap played for both the wine and cheese UNC fans and the State yahoos was, let's say, out of proportion. It was as brutal as the Dome if not worse (I heard U2 at the Dome at one game...). Brutal assault on one's senses.

We had the best point guard in college basketball, and the break neck pace we played really pushed the tempo and made for high scoring, fun games. Sherman Douglas elevated the alley oop to an art form, and he had several players who could go get his lob passes and convert with monster dunks.

Which just makes the pace we have played in the past few years so much more painful to watch for those of us who saw what amounted to a mini, east coast Showtime in the dome in those late 80's to early 90's years.

It needs fixing.

Great post--agree 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom