1992 rules violation, steering players | Syracusefan.com

1992 rules violation, steering players

Dave85

Living Legend
Just read this article on the post (see link below). I wonder if Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas have agents who "steer" players to their schools?

"The findings included: boosters had given basketball players free meals and lodging, car dealer Bill Rapp gave players and team managers Christmas cards containing money and a New York City "street agent, Rob Johnson, who had steered players to Syracuse and other colleges for more than a decade, was a representative of the university's athletic interests."

Throwback Thursday: Syracuse University admits to breaking NCAA rules in 1992

Steve Koolak, a junior from Hartford, said, "I don't think we're doing anything worse than other schools."

Sophomore Chris Visalli, of Brooklyn, said, "It's going on at all schools; it's obvious that it's going on."

Just read this article on the post (see link below). I wonder if Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas have agents who "steer" players to their schools?

"The findings included: boosters had given basketball players free meals and lodging, car dealer Bill Rapp gave players and team managers Christmas cards containing money and a New York City "street agent, Rob Johnson, who had steered players to Syracuse and other colleges for more than a decade, was a representative of the university's athletic interests."

Throwback Thursday: Syracuse University admits to breaking NCAA rules in 1992

Steve Koolak, a junior from Hartford, said, "I don't think we're doing anything worse than other schools."

Sophomore Chris Visalli, of Brooklyn, said, "It's going on at all schools; it's obvious that it's going on."

There's a guy known as World Wide Wes that is pretty familiar with the Kentucky program.

William Wesley - Wikipedia

That's the main problem the NCAA has; they're not particularly good at sniffing out violations without being prompted, so they're very selectively enforced. It is incredibly hard to believe that the stuff we were hit with in '92 and recently is abnormal for big college basketball programs but, because of one or two catalyst events, the NCAA was prompted to start digging. Once they start digging, they're guaranteed to find violations big and small because the violations are occurring at all of the programs. We just happened to be one of the unlucky schools to get investigated.

I would be much happier with the NCAA if it was more proactive and judicial with the enforcement of its rules. Punishments shouldn't be determined ad hoc; there should be specific punishments for specific infractions. And the NCAA should perform routine 'audits' of each program every few years or so, so they can catch small violations before they turn into huge scandals and tarnish careers/programs. This should result in smaller but more consistently applied punishments that don't serve to shame coaches and programs but serve to keep the playing field level. The NCAA's current way of doing business allows for serious violations to go unnoticed unless/until there is a whistleblower. Waiting for somebody to tell you about bad stuff happening is probably not the best way to go about enforcing your rules. Police officers don't sit on the highway and let speeding car after speeding car go by, waiting for somebody to point one of them out to go after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom