1998 Tennessee vs Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

1998 Tennessee vs Syracuse

This game brings up the misery of the phantom 4th down pass interference.

Tenn was one of the worst NCAA Championship teams to win it all. If any one had a rabbitt's foot in their uniforms that year, it sure was them.

Just a reminder of how great Donovan was. Their offensive line manhandled us in the fourth quarter and we still should have won.

I'm still not over that game. That pass interference call is one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

It still haunts me to this day. Bogus call.

I'm still not over that game. That pass interference call is one of the worst calls I've ever seen.
I'm still waiting for the espn 30 for 30 special investigating this issue nationwide back in the day using that game as the shining example. Not so much the interference call (which was close and if it was going to be called a all should have been called by the guy right there not the back judge way far away), but the not one but TWO equipment calls for too short pants.

Has anyone seen that called before or since?

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the espn 30 for 30 special investigating this issue nationwide back in the day using that game as the shining example. Not so much the interference call (which was close and should have been called by the guy right there not the back judge way far away), but the not one but TWO equipment calls for too short pants.

Has anyone seen that called before or since?

Never. Not once.

I had forgotten how good Donovan was and how mediocre our OL was.

Konrad and McNabb.

Wish I wasn't so young during Donovan's years.

There are about a half dozen SU football games from the 90s that continue to haunt my soul to this day, and that's one of them. Also…

1994 Oklahoma
1995 East Carolna
1996 Minnesota
1997 NC State (the worst I have ever felt following an SU sporting event, bar none)
1999 Michigan

There are about a half dozen SU football games from the 90s that continue to haunt my soul to this day, and that's one of them. Also…

1994 Oklahoma
1995 East Carolna
1996 Minnesota
1997 NC State (the worst I have ever felt following an SU sporting event, bar none)
1999 Michigan

That Oklahoma game killed me. I was watching that in a random bar in NJ, where no one in the bar except me really cared about the game. I thought we had won it. Ugh, that was awful.

I had forgotten how good Donovan was and how mediocre our OL was.

Donovan really masked a lot of sins with his elusiveness and ability to make throws out of the pocket. He ended up leaving the pocket due to poor blocking about 70% of the time, but still made positive things happen so it didn't seem like we had OL issues.

When you watch out tapes of the OL from the McNabb days, you see how much his athleticism masked.

Donovan really masked a lot of sins with his elusiveness and ability to make throws out of the pocket. He ended up leaving the pocket due to poor blocking about 70% of the time, but still made positive things happen so it didn't seem like we had OL issues.

When you watch out tapes of the OL from the McNabb days, you see how much his athleticism masked.

Over/under on someone entering this thread in defense? 20 minutes?

1994 Oklahoma
1995 East Carolna
1996 Minnesota
1999 Michigan

+1.

I get over disappointing losses at lightning speed.

That one stuck with me all weekend.

1994 Oklahoma
1995 East Carolna
1996 Minnesota
1999 Michigan

For a Dome only 90's list, I'd throw in 1991 East Carolina, 1992 Miami, 1996 Miami (we laid an egg for just over 2 quarters and then nearly dug out of it).

You hit all the other ones. And agree, that 1997 NC State might have been the hardest to get over. Especially given how we looked the previous week.

1994 Oklahoma
1995 East Carolna
1996 Minnesota
1999 Michigan

1998 NC State.
1997 Oklahoma.

Actually, I don't need to list them. Every regular-season McNabb loss other than the two road Virginia Tech games and the first Miami game could be on here. So many missed opportunities.

Virginia Tech 1999 is up there for me. I still shudder thinking about 62-0...

That was the same day as a disastrous Yankees loss to the Sox. Awful sports day for me.

I just remember those drunk inbreds stinking up 44's with their jack and cokes.

1996 Miami

Ugh, forgot about that one. That was during Miami's mid-90s lull - that was the difference between playing Nebraska in the Orange Bowl (and winning three straight outright BE titles) and playing Houston in the Liberty Bowl. I remember a very controversial fumble from that game on a punt that went against us. I also remember Tremain Mack taking a kickoff back right before halftime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom