1999 Syracuse vs. Michigan | Syracusefan.com

1999 Syracuse vs. Michigan

Eric15

Living Legend
I am always scouring Youtube for Syracuse game videos, and I don't believe I have come across this one before. Disappointing outcome, but what an exciting game this was.

Troy Nunes/Madei Williams vs. Tom Brady/Drew Henson

Back when teams knew they were in a game against Syracuse, and it didn't matter who up I were. I have a feeling those days have returned.

Wow, I just watched the first quarter and immediately got mad at Coach P and that horrible offense!!!

Ive watched this game on youtube a few times. I watched the Tennessee game the other day. The one I am dying to watch is the Cuse at Michigan game. When McNabb destroyed them on their turf. If you guys find footage of that game please share.

Ive watched this game on youtube a few times. I watched the Tennessee game the other day. The one I am dying to watch is the Cuse at Michigan game. When McNabb destroyed them on their turf. If you guys find footage of that game please share.
I think the UM fans have destroyed it all. Probably working on the App State game too.

Wow, I just watched the first quarter and immediately got mad at Coach P and that horrible offense!!!

Yeah, Coach P did a lousy job putting us in a position to beat the Wolverines and Tom Brady!

Sure don't miss those days!

Yeah, Coach P did a lousy job putting us in a position to beat the Wolverines and Tom Brady!

Sure don't miss those days!

Somehow I knew you'd respond! I'm a big Coach P fan, but I'm not gonna go back and say that his offense had me loving life post McNabb. Come on OPA, that defense was solid, which I give Coach credit for cause he was the D guy, but even if we cut him slack that this came off the loss of McNabb, Johnson, and Konrad, there was a moment when even you must have been frustrated. I'm not one of those homers who underestimates or overvalues our place in the hierarchy of college football. We are no Michigan, but still... Let a man be frustrated!

Somehow I knew you'd respond! I'm a big Coach P fan, but I'm not gonna go back and say that his offense had me loving life post McNabb. Come on OPA, that defense was solid, which I give Coach credit for cause he was the D guy, but even if we cut him slack that this came off the loss of McNabb, Johnson, and Konrad, there was a moment when even you must have been frustrated. I'm not one of those homers who underestimates or overvalues our place in the hierarchy of college football. We are no Michigan, but still... Let a man be frustrated!

Believe me I was very frustrated to say the least walking out of that game.

I'm still frustrated!

The problem that game and for the rest of the P regime frankly was personnel - we did not have an experienced QB at that point - having just lost McNabb.

And we were not playing Rutgers or UConn or some other sham program - we were playing Michigan with Tom Brady.

Gosh, we had that game won but for that stupid intentional grounding call in the endzone by Nunes. It was a maddening loss.

I can still remember thinking WHAT THE F??? when Troy got called for grounding.

Of course he was way out of the pocket and it would not have been two points today...

It's difficult to defend the "two series for this quarterback, one series for the other guy" rotation that season. And I'll defend Pasqualoni for a lot - he was a good coach.

Never mind the fact that Williams was the better quarterback that night and that he probably had a higher ceiling than Nunes, there's a reason it's unusual for a coach to platoon the most important position on the team. It was a bad decision and it didn't help us win games that fall.

That was a very frustrating game and, in hindsight, probably the night that marked the end of an era of very good football.

We might have swept Michigan is Nunes hadn't done his "Jubilation T. Cornpone" retreat into the end end zone. Without that safety, it's 13-16 at the end, not 13-18 and we kick a field goal to go into OT.

It's difficult to defend the "two series for this quarterback, one series for the other guy" rotation that season. And I'll defend Pasqualoni for a lot - he was a good coach.

Never mind the fact that Williams was the better quarterback that night and that he probably had a higher ceiling than Nunes, there's a reason it's unusual for a coach to platoon the most important position on the team. It was a bad decision and it didn't help us win games that fall.

That was a very frustrating game and, in hindsight, probably the night that marked the end of an era of very good football.

Williams did everything in slow motion. Nunes did everything on fast-forward.

Don't understand what happen w MW...I thought he was the better QB that night.

Believe me I was very frustrated to say the least walking out of that game.

I'm still frustrated!

The problem that game and for the rest of the P regime frankly was personnel - we did not have an experienced QB at that point - having just lost McNabb.

And we were not playing Rutgers or UConn or some other sham program - we were playing Michigan with Tom Brady.

Gosh, we had that game won but for that stupid intentional grounding call in the endzone by Nunes. It was a maddening loss.
considering that the shouldve been Orange QB was leading vpi to an undefeated record and a spot in the title game, yeah the play of the Cuse QBs was a little maddening.

considering that the shouldve been Orange QB was leading vpi to an undefeated record and a spot in the title game, yeah the play of the Cuse QBs was a little maddening.

For a state I loved living in, and hopefully will again soon, Virginia really hasn't been kind to SU. First Vick's stupid HS coach who definitely got some kind of kickback for convincing him to go to VT. Then Warner and his 2003 antics. They could have destroyed our program, but we persevered. Says a lot about our brand. Even GRob couldn't bury us. I bet he has Virginia roots somewhere.

I have an old VHS tape of that '98 SU-Michigan game that my father-in-law recorded. I watch parts of it almost every August as I psych myself up for the season. :)

I have an old VHS tape of that '98 SU-Michigan game that my father-in-law recorded. I watch parts of it almost every August as I psych myself up for the season. :)

scooch get that thing on DVD and upload it somehow