2 losses on dec 2nd | Syracusefan.com

2 losses on dec 2nd

2007-08 we had 2 losses by 11/28 (Ohio State and UMass)

2005-06 we had 2 losses by 11/22 (Florida and Bucknell)

Didn't get our 2nd loss until mid feb last year... Look how that season ended. It doesn't matter when the losses come just long as they are not in march.

2007-08 we had 2 losses by 11/28 (Ohio State and UMass)

2005-06 we had 2 losses by 11/22 (Florida and Bucknell)

Two NIT teams, one of which made the NCAAs due to GMAC.

My favorite season of the last five years was 2012, when we didn't lose our second game until the ACC Tournament. Man was that an incredible year!

07-08 was the year of the ACL.

No Andy.
No Devo.
Scoop was playing on a broken foot.

Yeah, I know. Injuries are no excuse. ;)

True. But those early losses hurt us with the committee.

We lost to Flordia and Bucknell in the pre-conferecne seaosn in 2005-06, Wichtia State, Oklahoma State and Drexel in 2006-07 and then Ohio State, Massachusetts and Rhode Island in 2007-08. Without GMAC, those are three straight NIT teams.

Then , in 2008-09 we just lost to Cleveland State on the 70 footer.We went 13-0 in 2009-10, 2010-11 and. We lost to Temple in 2012-13, ending a 52 game pre-conference winning streak. That was our only pre-conference loss that year and we were 13-0 last year. So from 2008-09 through 2013-14, we were 76-2. We've already got two losses this year. If we have a couple more and then 6-8 in conference, another in the ACC tourney, we could be in trouble on selection Sunday. Throwing this one away may well come back to bite us.

Last edited:
have to say that last night was the 1st time ever in december that i even considered syracuse would miss the ncaat in march.

HakAttack said:
My favorite season of the last five years was 2012, when we didn't lose our second game until the ACC Tournament. Man was that an incredible year!

Have we forgotten the Big East so soon?

tbonezone said:
have to say that last night was the 1st time ever in december that i even considered syracuse would miss the ncaat in march.

We're only in trouble if we lose one of the next two. Not serious trouble, but concern will start mounting.

We're only in trouble if we lose one of the next two. Not serious trouble, but concern will start mounting.

agreed, and all will be well if we beat Nova after that...

agreed, and all will be well if we beat Nova after that...
that would be icing on the proverbial cake, but not imperative by any means

How many pre-conference losses do you feel we can afford to have and stay off the bubble? I think 4 would be too many and 3 would be no guarantee, unless we really turn things around in conference.

SWC75 said:
How many pre-conference losses do you feel we can afford to have and stay off the bubble? I think 4 would be too many and 3 would be no guarantee, unless we really turn things around in conference.

3. If we have 4 losses before ACC starts we're gonna be a bubble team.

3. If we have 4 losses before ACC starts we're gonna be a bubble team.

Virginia lost 4 games OOC last season and wasn't a bubble team. Nothing is set in stone, the team is young we just have to watch and see what happens. They may be a protected seed or they may be sweating on the bubble.

St. Johns and LSU both have only 1 lose. Villanova is ranked. So 2 loses in those three aren't killers is SU finishes #5 maybe 6 in ACC. 2 loses to Ranked teams and 3 total before conference play, IMHO, not a big deal. No bad loses.

St. Johns and LSU both have only 1 lose. Villanova is ranked. So 2 loses in those three aren't killers is SU finishes #5 maybe 6 in ACC. 2 loses to Ranked teams and 3 total before conference play, IMHO, not a big deal. No bad loses.

Correct. Its the bad losses to non NCAA teams, specifically at home that get you.

We can't lose to unranked teams at home. We can afford to lose games to good teams road/neutral but we gotta take care of business at home. "Bad losses" are killers in march if you're a bubble team.

I think we are so used to breezing through the non-conference, and struggling at the end of the conference season, many people expect the same story to be written year after year, and with two losses, they still expect the end of the regular season to be bad. So that is what has people uneasy. It doesn't have to be.

The good part of the schedule, while hard is we get 4 of the 7 remaining ranked teams on our schedule at home. We will win some of those. I really like the way we match up with Carolina again. Thats a good team I can see us beating on the road. I think we will beat Virginia at home as well. They've never been to the Dome. That's a huge advantage for us.

The good part is outside of Kentucky, maybe Wisconsin and Duke we can beat anybody and who knows by Valentines day we might be ready to beat Duke.

Also, if the past two nights proved anything, it proved the ACC on the whole stinks.

We can't lose to unranked teams at home. We can afford to lose games to good teams road/neutral but we gotta take care of business at home. "Bad losses" are killers in march if you're a bubble team.

Yet there is no proof we are a bubble team. We don't even know if losing to St. Johns at home will be a bad loss when they have only lost to Gonzaga which is a very good team. We don't know a heck of a lot about the college basketball season yet so making blanket statements about how many losses we can take OOC and still make the tourney is jumping to conclusions. We could lose 5 OOC and then shoot lights out the rest of the way and win the ACC and get a 3 seed much like Virginia. We could win out OOC and then go 10-8 in the ACC but not beat any of the better teams and be on the bubble. Way too much to happen to say what we must do or must not do. I think beating St. Johns is important but I'm not ready to say its a must win or our NCAA hopes ride on it. Just like I'm not conceding a loss to Nova. I actually really like our chances against Nova after another couple weeks of practice and a lot of time between games before we play them to work against that 1-2-2 Jay loves to use on us.

Doesn't matter since we'll sail through the ACC tourn.

Is Cal not a bad loss? I know it was early, but that one could flash on the screen as a bad loss come March.

Last year's team seemed almost burdened with their undefeated status. Towards the end of the streak they looked like they were playing not to lose. Thankfully, this year's team will not be burdened with perfection.

Is Cal not a bad loss? I know it was early, but that one could flash on the screen as a bad loss come March.

Why? I'm guessing they'll finish in the top four of the Pac12. That won't be a "bad" loss.