2 years in a row now our center play has removed a critical piece of the offense | Syracusefan.com

2 years in a row now our center play has removed a critical piece of the offense

OrangeFoo

All American
Last year we couldn't go into a shotgun because of our center, this year we can't run a QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and short because our center is to small.

How does this happen to an AQ team? Hell even D2 teams can run both the shotgun and the Qb sneaks. Again this is where my faith in the Marrone regime starts wavering. Remember we had some pretty good olinemen transfer for reasons unknown last offseason.

I see Macky being quick off the ball and going downfield as a plus. You have certain things you can add or take away from most players and the scheme of SU seems to be guys that can move on the line.

Last year we couldn't go into a shotgun because of our center, this year we can't run a QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and short because our center is to small.

How does this happen to an AQ team? Hell even D2 teams can run both the shotgun and the Qb sneaks. Again this is where my faith in the Marrone regime starts wavering. Remember we had some pretty good olinemen transfer for reasons unknown last offseason.
I don't remember any sneaks under Marrone.

And you don't have to go over the center on a sneak. The most famous sneak in football history: Ice Bowl, Green Bay wins NFL championship on sneak by Bart Starr over his RG, Jerry Kramer.

I see Macky being quick off the ball and going downfield as a plus. You have certain things you can add or take away from most players and the scheme of SU seems to be guys that can move on the line.

If he has no DT over him or has no DT slanting toward him, sure. But if either happen he needs to at the very least assist on that guy before going to the second level, if not pick up the DT all together. There are times where a G and C will switch and the G will release based on how the DT plays. If Mackey is just releasing every time it makes the block for the G very very difficult.

If he has no DT over him or has no DT slanting toward him, sure. But if either happen he needs to at the very least assist on that guy before going to the second level, if not pick up the DT all together. There are times where a G and C will switch and the G will release based on how the DT plays. If Mackey is just releasing every time it makes the block for the G very very difficult.

It depends on the call and execution of his responsibilities. I'm sure the staff grades the players and I'm sure they have Macky doing what he has to be doing...pulling, assisting or power/pass blocking along with his snaps and center calls.

It's on Marrone for not having a better option than Macky. I find it ridiculous that they can't develop one of the other linemen just for the sole purpose of being able to call a QB sneak in those very short yardage situations. Substitute Macky for plays that are obvious running/sneak situations. Inexperience should not matter if you only have to get practice reps for one friggin' play.

When you only have to move the ball a few inches, it's a 95% success rate for any other BCS team. For us it's a hail mary. I have no idea how the statistical efficiency compares to last season or to the rest of Division 1, but the entire philosophy of a pro-style attack is ball control mixed with short passes to produce short yardage situations which, amusingly, makes the coaching staff stuff their pants.

If we are still beating out Hofstra and UConn for recruits even after we move to the ACC - Marrone will quickly be viewed as the next Edsall, minus the girly spasms.

Aren't Trudo and Allport hurt?

Crazy suggestion but why not try Eric Crume under center for short yardage? He is used in running situations specifically for his ability to gain leverage and knock his lineman back.

:)
Then you might have snap issues. How about Crume at tailback?

I hate to say this but the problem is DM and his love of Mac Senior. Lets hope that Mac junior grows into the position as we are going to have him at center for the next four years

Lets hope that Mac junior grows into the position as we are going to have him at center for the next four years

Two and a half at this point. Dude didn't redshirt.

Hey lets hope that he continues to improve grows and adds strength. Im all for the kid doing well just hope that the other players like Allport and Trudo get a fair shake from DM

We didn't run any qb sneaks last year with Bart so it's not the center, it's the coach/OC who doesn't want to run them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom