2010 vs 2014 a simple comparison | Syracusefan.com

2010 vs 2014 a simple comparison

Gabjon

All American
All of this talk about player/team offensive efficiency made me want to compare this team with the 2010 team which was our most efficient team in recent memory. I don't think it is fair to look at the stats until the season is done even comparing non-conference to non-conference is probably not fair giving how much harder our non-conference schedule is this year compared to that year. But if you just look at the players and how the teams were built the similarities are apparent.
2010 2014 Advantage
Andy Trevor Andy
Brandon Ennis Ennis
AO DC2 AO
Ricky Xmas Push
Wes CJ Wes
Scoop Mike G Scoop
Kris Jo Grant Grant
Riley Baye Baye​

I know people like to compare Trevor to Gmac but he has always been more of a Andy type player to me. Giving Trevor's huge jump from last year to this he may pass Andy and possibly do it this year, but Andy as senior was great and head and shoulders head of Trevor on the defensive end IMO. Ennis is amazing and comparing him to a freshmen Brandon is no contest IMO and senior AO over DC2 is an easy call as well. Junior Ricky vs Xmas is very close call. Ricky had a better offensive game but Xmas is a much better shot blocker athlete if I had to choose I may go with Ricky but not confidently senior Ricky was much better. I love CJ but Wes was special. Scoop played about half the time and he made more of an impact than Mike G who needs to start shooting more. Sophomore Kris Jo is very similar to Sophomore Grant except Grant is bigger stronger faster and a better rebounder and shot blocker. Riley is only list because of the AO injury that broke our collective hearts Baye is 1000xs better than Riley.

Last edited:
Trevor > Andy

I mean, if he holds to current pace through 35 games he will have shattered SU made 3point FG records.

Shattered.

He means just as much if not more to this team than Andy did in 10

Andy did way more than hit threes

I love how this team is shaping up but I'm not willing to compare it to the team that won a much tougher conference by two games. Were probably going to make it through the non con undefeated, but almost every Boeheim team I remember gets through with max one loss.

And I think having a reliable post scorer is just huge.

Let's look at the best 5 from each:
Andy Trevor Andy
Scoop Ennis Ennis
AO Keita AO
Ricky Grant GrantWes CJ push
2010 subs 2014 subs 2014

wes cj is not a clear wes by any means.

Ricky Xmas Push​

I don't see this as a push. I think Rick was a much better player than Christmas in virtually every facet of the game.

Am I the only one who finds it a little questionable to compare players from a team that has already played through the conference/NCAAT to one that hasn't even finished the noncon part of the schedule?

I don't see this as a push. I think Rick was a much better player than Christmas in virtually every facet of the game.
Ricky made a big jump between his junior and senior years. Ricky shot 50 from the line that year Christmas is shooter 70% from the line and 75% from the field...he needs to shoot more!

Am I the only one who finds it a little questionable to compare players from a team that has already played through the conference/NCAAT to one that hasn't even finished the noncon part of the schedule?

no you're not? but waiting to the end of the year is no fun!

Unfortunately my memory of Jackson Jr year is heavily shaded by his Butler performance.

For whatever it's worth, right now, we have the #1 offensive efficiency in the country. (We must have jumped up like 5/6 spots after Saturday). Nova has the #3 defense (after Saturday) and we shredded them for 78 points in 64 possessions. The 2010 team finished 9th in the country in offensive efficiency. The Pomeroy numbers are adjusted for opponent, so theoretically you should be able to compare them at different points in the season, but we should probably wait for some more games.
The 2010 team was second in the country in effective FG%; this year's team is 68th. The big difference is the turnovers, in 2010 we turned the ball over a lot, 235th in the country, right now we're 37th. (Andy got a lot of love for his passing, but he tried a ton of risky passes. He and Brandon had really high TO%, around 25%.) Tyler, Trevor, and Jerami pretty much never turn the ball over.

The 2010 team was second in the country in effective FG%; this year's team is 68th. The big difference is the turnovers, in 2010 we turned the ball over a lot, 235th in the country, right now we're 37th. (Andy got a lot of love for his passing, but he tried a ton of risky passes. He and Brandon had really high TO%, around 25%.) Tyler, Trevor, and Jerami pretty much never turn the ball over.

That really was the 2010 team's Achilles heel. Because otherwise they were superb offensively, sans that fatal flaw.

That really was the 2010 team's Achilles heel. Because otherwise they were superb offensively, sans that fatal flaw.

Yeah. I mean they did pretty well anyway, but you had a freshmen PG in Triche and Andy, who was willing to try for tough passes, and Scoop wasn't quite the sure handed PG he became in 2012.

Of course when you make 57% of your 2 pointers, you can afford an extra turnover here and there.

But the 2012 team ranked just ahead of the 2010 team in offensive efficiency, because they were 6th in the country in TO rate. It's still early in this season, but Tyler having a turnover % below 10 is just freakish. Trevor having a low TO% isn't a huge surprise cause he does a lot of catch and shoot, but Tyler has the ball in his hands all the time. Jerami has basically the same TO% as Tyler, which is a little less impressive cause Tyler always has the ball, but Jerami drives a lot, so for him to be under 10% as well is pretty amazing.