2011-2012 Season | Syracusefan.com

2011-2012 Season

skurey

Living Legend
Had a Facebook memory of "31-1" for today so I went down memory lane.

The 31st win was in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament over UConn. I guess this season started a week later.

We were 30-1 in the regular season. We lost 1 time. Over a whole season. And that was @ND without Fab.

A down year for the Big East helped with our record. We only played 4 ranked teams with 5 games total.

Only 5 games were within 5 points. Marshall was actually one of our closest games with only a 6 point margin.

Kris Joseph was our leading minute man at only 32 per game. 5 others were in the 20s with another 4 in the 10s.

145th in 3P%.

2nd in blocks 4th in steals. Our defense was great.

Joseph was our leading scorer at only 13.4 per game! Crazy how balanced we were.

We lost to Cincy in the Big East semis. Joseph was just 2/6 from the field, all 3 point attempts. We shot 35% from 2 and 56% from the line in a game we lost by 3. Waiters went off for 28 including 7/10 from 3.

1st round of the tournament we only beat UNC Asheville by 7. I remember people being upset at some calls that wanted to see the upset. Thank you Virginia for erasing this forever.

2nd round we beat Kansas State easily.

Sweet 16 was the crazy Wisconsin game. They were 14/27 from 3. Can you imagine a college team shooting such a high percentage on that many attempts? ;)

And finally the Elite 8 game vs Ohio State. 28 fouls called against us. We averaged 16.4 per game. Waiters fouled out in 20 minutes. Southerland fouled out in 11. They shot 17 more free throws than us. What an absolute shame of a game. Aaron craft did foul out surprisingly...in the last minute.

We should’ve won the national title that season. Fab’s situation was a mess. We should’ve played him and let the NCAA strip the title later if they wanted.

And the first half of the Ohio State game was the most crooked screw job I’ve ever seen. Tim Donaghy was ashamed at how crooked the reffing was.

And to think... We had the 2014 NBA Rookie of the Year riding pine all season. That's how deep we were.

Made it slightly farther without our starting center than two years earlier, but still couldn't overcome the loss. I was at the UNC-Asheville game but didn't have a whole lot of fun. Really looked like we were going to lose.
It would be very interesting to look back at this board from that season. Despite the ridiculous record, I seem to remember lots of complaints about the team (why isn't Waiters starting? Waiters can't shoot. KrisJo isn't dominant enough, etc.) We were pretty spoiled back then.

My senior year at SU. Could not have asked for a better regular season.

This team wasn’t appreciated as much as it should have been.
I remember the Sunday game at Rutgers that year we won by 6 I think and this board was killing the team for style points.
Oh I yearn for the stupid style points threads as we were just rolling up the wins.
That team went 10 deep when JB gave MCW minutes and it pressed.

Made it slightly farther without our starting center than two years earlier, but still couldn't overcome the loss. I was at the UNC-Asheville game but didn't have a whole lot of fun. Really looked like we were going to lose.
It would be very interesting to look back at this board from that season. Despite the ridiculous record, I seem to remember lots of complaints about the team (why isn't Waiters starting? Waiters can't shoot. KrisJo isn't dominant enough, etc.) We were pretty spoiled back then.
Go to the front page of the basketball board, then into filters and sort by last message in ascending order. You'll be back in late summer of 2011, when this version of the board began. Then you can easily scroll through the threads from that season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom