2012-13 Addition | Syracusefan.com

2012-13 Addition

Vzorange

Walk On
I actually see next years team to be a lot like the 09-10 team (maybe better).

• That team had 5 scoring threats on the floor at all times (ok most times). Next year I see something similar especially with DC2 in the middle and improvement offensively from Xmas. Xmas seems like he could evolve into a much more athletic Ricky Jackson.
  • We will have at least 3 'dribble/drive' players (Fair / Triche / MCW) not unlike KJO/Scoop/Wes
  • We will have a low post scoring threat (Coleman).
  • We will have a two/three shooters (Cooney/Southerland/Triche) vs Wes & Rautins
  • Most importantly we will have guards who will pass to any one of the other 4 players on the court at any time. Scoop tended to have tunnel vision (Dion or lob to Fab) ... when guards pass like MCW can (and showed) the other 4 players will be much more active - Triche can also be a great passer.
  • The 'chemistry' was VERY good in 09-10 and a lot of that had to do with Rautins. I think MCW can bring that same chemistry to next years team.
  • We had 7 'starters' that year and next year we could be the same (Cooney/Fair or Southerland).
  • I actually believe as the year goes on Trevor Cooney will be VERY hard to keep off the floor - I hope I'm right because that means MCW/Triche can drive and dish to he or Southerland outside or drop it off to a gifted low post player (DC2/Fair/Xmas). It will be very hard to guard this team next year.
  • Defense was long and active just like next yr could be.
Oh and I didn't mention Noel once ... can you imagine

Next year we are going to be unbelievable. I know, next year, next year. Next year will be the best Syracuse squad ever. I have been reading some of the forums preseason rankings, I'm seeing some having them 10-15 range. LOL, seriously. This team will run the next year.

I don't see it. We have a bunch of role players. The X factor will be MCW. He can be a star and make everyone else around him better. If he is that guy then we can make a run. If he isn't then you can forget about getting past the Sweet 16. As of now that 2010 team has 3 players better than anyone on next year's team.

I don't see it. We have a bunch of role players. The X factor will be MCW. He can be a star and make everyone else around him better. If he is that guy then we can make a run. If he isn't then you can forget about getting past the Sweet 16. As of now that 2010 team has 3 players better than anyone on next year's team.

Ditto. If Carter-Williams is an "it" guy, we'll be real good. If he's simply a decent sophomore point guard, it's 2011 all over again, only with less-accomplished post players.

I'd sign up today for a 23-8 season and a 6 seed in the ncaas.

I'd sign up today for a 23-8 season and a 6 seed in the ncaas.

What???????

With the run we're on right now, you'd really accept falling that far back?

Top 3 seed or bust. All in.

What???????

With the run we're on right now, you'd really accept falling that far back?

Top 3 seed or bust. All in.

Hey I lead the all in pack. Trust me I am hopeful of another great run. I just think (especially if we don't get Noel) that we will take step back. It's not about "accepting" anything. It's reality. Lose 3 starters and your best bench (maybe overall player) and it's going to hurt us.

We are not going 27-4 or better with the CURRENT pieces we have. No chance.

Hey I lead the all in pack. Trust me I am hopeful of another great run. I just think (especially if we don't get Noel) that we will take step back. It's not about "accepting" anything. It's reality. Lose 3 starters and your best bench (maybe overall player) and it's going to hurt us.

We are not going 27-4 or better with the CURRENT pieces we have. No chance.

I know you lead that pack, that's why I'm surprised.

The record prediction may not be that far off, I think you're a little pessimistic on the seed. I'll be dissapointed with anything less than a 3 seed at this point.

I know you lead that pack, that's why I'm surprised.

The record prediction may not be that far off, I think you're a little pessimistic on the seed. I'll be dissapointed with anything less than a 3 seed at this point.

Yea I just threw it out there without really thinking about seed. I can see a 3-4 seed. We certainly will have the talent, just think we may take some lumps early on and get picked off in the non conference as well as some big east games. I do think that experience will help us once we get to the ncaas.

At this point, I don't care what we do in the regular season. As long as we are playing our best in March, I'll be happy. I'm sick and tired of multiple 1-3 seeds with no final fours.

You people are forgetting there will be no other team in the NCAA's with our talent next year. Kentucky will be gutted, & UNC & DUKE are overrated.

It will be tough for this team to repeat only 3 losses in a season, but they should be good enough for less than 6 losses by Big East Tourney time, & a very good shot at the Championship.

We keep getting the top recruits every year now, so I can't believe you are saying we will suck.

You also forget that Southy might actually pick up his game to another level, & we might have a GEM in Coleman.

When it comes to this team, you can always count on the unexpected, & when we least expect greatness, it comes greatly !!!

MCW is that guy. He gets everybody baskets, Keita, Rak, Fab, and gets them fast. He is the real thing. We have a National Championship Backcourt next year even more than this year
They always say "At Syracuse , next year always takes care of itself"
End of 2011, who would have thought we go 34-3 with Rick Jackson gone and Fab looking like he did? You could have said the same thing about role players end of last year too. KJo maybe a bit more than that but not much.
I really think the Tournament run did for Xmas, James and Keita what the NIT run of 2002 did for Hakeem.

Not only that, but with Noel coming in to complement Christmas, We have the "HOLIDAY BROTHERS"

Why does everyone exclude MCW when discussing 3 pt threats? Kid has a sweet stroke.

There's at least one team that will have a ton of returning talent next year: Indiana. That team is going to be scary as I don't think Zeller is going anywhere.

If MCW is the player I think he is, he will be effective and help his teammates get good shots especially for those who don't create their own shot that well. What I'm going to need to see from him is if he can create his own shot like Waiters or Scoop did but as I mentioned his passing ability will clear the lane for him more as teams will have to respect his ability to hit open guys.

Boeheim has some interesting combos that he could put out there in 12/13 and I look for the rebounding to be better. Fair could swing to the guard position if he has too unless Mook comes back. Coleman might have to play center due to his not being able to cover the corners and that will clog up the center position unless X can go back to the 4.

I'm pretty excited about this Grant kid and I think he's going to be a lot better than many people know, especially in the Boeheim system.

There is nobody more optimistic about next year than me. I do tend to agree with Marsh that our record may not approach this years. Could, but I think not. We're going to have a group of players that needs to figure out who they are as a team. I see that as a progression that won't be near it's peak until the middle of January. Once that happens, the sky is the limit. We talk about potential of different players, but even if only two or three of them reach their potential, we have a powerhouse to follow on the train!

Different team different strengths, will miss having the impact of an explosive step on the way to the basket player like Waiters.

What it comes down to for me is this: Scoop/KJo/Dion made plays at the ends of several games that led to wins, and a few players will have to prove they have the big brass stones those guys collectively did in order to come close to repeating the w/l success. This team was a few plays from several losses this year, and those wins could easily be shaved off of next year's outlook. Is Triche capable of being that guy? He still has a lot to prove. They'll still be pretty deep, so the odds are in their favor to have a couple guys step up.

You people are forgetting there will be no other team in the NCAA's with our talent next year. Kentucky will be gutted, & UNC & DUKE are overrated.

It will be tough for this team to repeat only 3 losses in a season, but they should be good enough for less than 6 losses by Big East Tourney time, & a very good shot at the Championship.

We keep getting the top recruits every year now, so I can't believe you are saying we will suck.

You also forget that Southy might actually pick up his game to another level, & we might have a GEM in Coleman.

When it comes to this team, you can always count on the unexpected, & when we least expect greatness, it comes greatly !!!
Read the post
Are you talking newcomers (additions) or next year's team (edition)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

MCW is that guy. He gets everybody baskets, Keita, Rak, Fab, and gets them fast. He is the real thing. We have a National Championship Backcourt next year even more than this year
They always say "At Syracuse , next year always takes care of itself"
End of 2011, who would have thought we go 34-3 with Rick Jackson gone and Fab looking like he did? You could have said the same thing about role players end of last year too. KJo maybe a bit more than that but not much.
I really think the Tournament run did for Xmas, James and Keita what the NIT run of 2002 did for Hakeem.

But that is exactly why we did fail this year. We had a bunch of role players. IMO we need a star to make it to a FF. This year KJo and Dion were potential star guys but neither could fill the void. Next year MCW is a potential star guy. But if he isn't or if he is still another year away, then you can forget about going past the Sweet 16. I think everyone will improve and will get better. I think MCW could be a star. But as of now I cannot expect that we are a FF team next year. I can hope but to expect it isn't fair. Especially with major question marks at the F position.

The team this year just flowed so well at times with MCW out there. He led the charge that steam rolled UConn twice. There was that show he put on in the Garden versus SJU.

Give this guy some regular time, and he will blow away expectations next year.

In my opinion, we have the perfect mix of players for an exciting, top tier team:

Experienced & ready to lead, solid & steady play:
Triche - rising SR, 3 yrs exp, has started all 107 games in career

Experienced & ready to lead, yet still some unrealized potential:
Southerland - rising SR, 3 yrs exp, has upped ppg ~2 & rebpg ~1 each year

Experienced, yet still with decent unrealized potential:
CJ Fair - rising JR, 2 yrs exp, has upped ppg ~2 & rebpg ~1.5 from FR-SO year
Keita - rising JR , 2 yrs exp

Some experience, with major unrealized potential:
Carter-Williams - rising SO with 1 yr exp (Former McDonalds AA)
Christmas - rising SO with 1 yr exp (Former McDonalds AA)
Cooney - rising FR with 1 yr practice exp

Inexperienced, with major unrealized potential:
Coleman - rising FR (Former McDonalds AA)
Grant - rising FR

In today's college basketball, to have 4 players (all integral players) with at least 2 full years of experience is a great thing...

Yet, at the same time, we have 2 former McDonalds AAs with a year of experience each, and a redshirt FR lights-out shooter, who should all make great gains in their play...

And still to have 1 McDonalds AA & another highly ranked recruit coming in to join the rest...

Fantastic mix of experience & raw talent, leadership & those looking to be lead.

This is what I'm thinking. How many teams will be better than us? Maybe Florida if Beal stays. Maybe indiana if Zeller stays

Look at all the top teams that are losing players and who do they have to replace them
Kentucky Most likely losing Davis, Gilchirst, and jones. Miller also gone. Possibly may lose teague and Lamb
Kansas Loses Taylor and most likely robinson
Duke loses Rivers
UNC loses Zeller and probably Barnes and Hensen
Mich St. Loses Green
Ohio st. loses Buford and most likely Sullinger

We lose Scoop but have MCW to replace him
lose Joseph but have Fair, Southerland, and Christmas to man the forward spots
lose Melo but have Keita, Coleman and Christmas to man the center spot

Probably biggest drop off is Waiters off the bench. We will need Cooney to fill that role for the guards.

Seems like we are going to be fine and a lot of teams will be weaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom