2013-15 Recruiting update | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2013-15 Recruiting update

You have to keep options open and do your due diligence when it comes to all kinds of prospects. Just because a database which probably hasn't been updated in months or a year has a kid listed at 5'11, doesn't mean he hasn't grown. Saintil could be 6'1 or 6'2 by now for all we know. SU offered a PG name Jaylen Brantley who was only 5'9 last summer. He's now close to 6 feet now and who knows where he'll max out at.

All you need to know about Jerami Grant's game is in the link below
http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-jerami-grant-highlights.html
Love the highlights, wish Beejay Anya was taller than Grant though, don't think he can play the 5 in our zone at his current height.

Love the highlights, wish Beejay Anya was taller than Grant though, don't think he can play the 5 in our zone at his current height.
Anya might not have the ideal height that you want to play the middle, but with a freakish wingspan that stretches out to 7'9, then you can definitely get away with it. Which is why so many programs are intrigued by him.

Anya might not have the ideal height that you want to play the middle, but with a freakish wingspan that stretches out to 7'9, then you can definitely get away with it. Which is why so many programs are intrigued by him.

Francis are we recruiting Nick Madray at Findlay Prep? We were at some point, right?

Francis are we recruiting Nick Madray at Findlay Prep? We were at some point, right?
There was some interest last year but I haven't heard much about him lately. Seems to be more of a plan b option.

I have watched him play a few times and I think BJ is soft personally do you think that's an unfair stance?

Awesome stuff Francis, thanks! The playing time thing is actually worries me with Ennis though. It is entirely possible that MCW leaves after next year - but if he doesn't you're looking at a back court of a Jr. MCW and a redshirt Soph. Cooney. Ennis would start in his Soph. year (assuming there is no way MCW stays 4 years).

That is also assuming we don't bring in another guard late for the 2012 class. I know you are high on Daquian Walker and I am as well. Walker would fill a tremendously important role next year as another slashing primary ball handler - but of course that makes the 2013 back court even more crowded with essentially two Juniors and a Soph. Walker (or any other out of left field guard that we may bring in).

Any thoughts on the playing time situation with respect to Ennis? Thanks again for all the tremendous info.
You guys crack me up with your crowded rosters stories! You're probably one of the guys worried about having only 3 prime time guards next year. :rolleyes:

I have watched him play a few times and I think BJ is soft personally do you think that's an unfair stance?
Not unfair and you're entitled to have an opinion about him whether positive or negative. I think he's still a work in progress but I do like his upside, and I think he can be coached up to have a Arinze like career/impact(minus the injuries). Staying in shape and offensive development in the post will be key moving forward.

Not unfair and you're entitled to have an opinion about him whether positive or negative. I think he's still a work in progress but I do like his upside, and I think he can be coached up to have a Arinze like career/impact(minus the injuries). Staying in shape and offensive development in the post will be key moving forward.

Francis apologize if you've said this before, but do you know why we backed off Amile Jefferson, or rather he backed off us? It seems we were much more into Grant, but Jefferson is being recruited by the big boys now, Duke, UK, and is in a prime recruiting location for us. Did we see bigger upside in Jerami?

Francis apologize if you've said this before, but do you know why we backed off Amile Jefferson, or rather he backed off us? It seems we were much more into Grant, but Jefferson is being recruited by the big boys now, Duke, UK, and is in a prime recruiting location for us. Did we see bigger upside in Jerami?
It was kind of a first come, first serve situation. Amile was going to stretch things out till the spring and the staff had no choice but to close the deal on Grant. Amile has a better motor and is better skilled at this point, but Grant is the better athlete with a much higher upside and better measurables for the zone.

It was kind of a first come, first serve situation. Amile was going to stretch things out till the spring and the staff had no choice but to close the deal on Grant. Amile has a better motor and is better skilled at this point, but Grant is the better athlete with a much higher upside and better measurables.
Totally agree if you watch Grant in his high school games he will not show up certain games however when he does put it together he is almost impossible to guard. The last high school tournament to end the year for Dematha he was the MVP and carried the team in that tournament. If you ask any of the Grant family members who is the best athlete out of all the brothers they will all say it's him. The Dematha team is the only school I really have a connection to so take it for what it is worth

It was kind of a first come, first serve situation. Amile was going to stretch things out till the spring and the staff had no choice but to close the deal on Grant. Amile has a better motor and is better skilled at this point, but Grant is the better athlete with a much higher upside and better measurables for the zone.
Is that Triche reacting after the bogus charge call vs. OSU?

Yup
That much of a response from someone as stoic as Triche is a clear indication of what a horrible call it was. That (and the various missed lay ups) was the opportunity to get some daylight with Sullinger not on the court.

Of course, had we been up 6-8 at the half, and were able to hold on in the second half, all we would have heard for the last week is how the refs paved our way to the FF. (That's my whiny Orange alter ego speaking.)

You guys crack me up with your crowded rosters stories! You're probably one of the guys worried about having only 3 prime time guards next year. :rolleyes:

The issue is that Ennis is concerned with immediate playing time. He has repeated this as a prerequisite for a college choice. Just saying that greater numbers may hinder our chances in nabbing him - not that it would be a bad thing.

I am slightly concerned with not having another primary ball handler. We don't really have a forward that can take pressure off of our guards. Joseph could at least take a rebound and dribble the length of the court. If CJ develops better long range dribbling it would help - but other than that we may have issues.

Obviously we have an embarrassment of riches at guard next year but a quick quard with handles like Daquian Walker would be a nice fit. I'm not going to lose sleep at over it but we are one injured guard away from not having a backup on our entire roster who can actually dribble.