2013 vs. 2016 | Syracusefan.com

2013 vs. 2016

How are you guys feeling about our chances today relative to how you felt before the Michigan game in 2013? I feel a lot more confident today than I did then ... for several reasons

Anyone else agree with me?
I was confident in 2013 and I am confident today.

I felt more confident in 2013 only because I think UNC is better then Michigan was. I really expected to beat Michigan. I think the core of our team now has more substance then it did in 2013 though. The good thing about this year is the team still hasn't played great together...eventually that has to happen. Hopefully it will this weekend.

Not very confident today, was more confident in 2013. UNC is a load, and are playing their best ball of the season. I'm nervous it could be a blowout. Of course, I'm like this for every big game. I think it's a defense mechanism so I go in with my expectations low and feel pleasantly surprised if anything good happens. The flip side to that would be really thinking we were going to compete with these guys, then we get our doors blown off, and my fist ends up making a nice hole in my living room wall, where a new light sconce will go. DIY thanks to March Madness is not my idea of a good time.

So don't listen to me, is what I'm saying.

I did not feel good about 2013 because of Burke and Hardaway.
Gaurds win in March/April... I'll take my chances against a better front court.

How are you guys feeling about our chances today relative to how you felt before the Michigan game in 2013? I feel a lot more confident today than I did then ... for several reasons

I agree 100%. I mentioned this I think after the UVA game but it may have been a couple of days later.

I think overall the 2013 team was probably "better", but better teams don't always win the title. Hot teams, teams that can light it up from outside, well coached teams (obviously same coaching), high iq teams.

I think if you have the 2013 team play this team I think the 2013 team wins more games best of 10. All that said the 2013 team had flaws that just kept it below a top tier, this current team has he talent and the playing style to play solid defense and be great on offense that it can rise to a another level, above and beyond what we saw from the 2013 team.

You read this recap and it's spells out exactly what we need to do. We were so close to winning this game in 2013. I think if we keep it close in the first half, it will definitely improve our chances to win. We should have completed the comeback against Michigan. Unfortunately the refs didn't give us the opportunity. Today we can't afford that. It's always going to be a game of runs but today if we can keep it under ten, we will have a great chance. I think overall we have better shooters and guys that can get to the hoop. We play smart and we can do this.

Michigan won this game in the opening 20 minutes, doing exactly what it needed to do against Syracuse's suffocating 2-3 zone: knock down open 3s, crash the boards, and work the ball inside and out with crisp, rapid-fire passes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=330960130

IMO the best thing SU has going for themselves heading into this game is that's hard to go 3-0 against a decent team in a single season. On paper it's hard to make an argument as to how SU wins this game, but games are not played on paper. Just beat a 1 seed in the last game, it can surely happen again.

Felt better in 2013

UNC is much better then Michigan was back then

IMO the best thing SU has going for themselves heading into this game is that's hard to go 3-0 against a decent team in a single season. On paper it's hard to make an argument as to how SU wins this game, but games are not played on paper. Just beat a 1 seed in the last game, it can surely happen again.

Pitt beat us 3 times and I think we're better than decent.

I get it may be an outlier but playing good basketball and making the right adjustments as we have the past few games is what's going to win the game for us. We knew what they were the first time we played them, same the second game and we know them going into this game. I think we can say the same about Pitt.

I'm not sure. Probably a little more confident today. I think Beilein is a better coach and they had better shooters.

Personally I think that 2013 Michigan team could absolutely hang with UNC. I could see it being either 4-3 them or UNC in a seven game series. McGary was a beast and they certainly have the guard edge in Burke/Hardaway/Stauskas.

2013 - SU had a much better team that year. This year's team has been fun, but let's face it, they are a fluky final four team as a 10 seed. The 2013 team dominated excellent teams in Indiana and Marquette to get to the Final Four, and had Louisville on the ropes in the Big East tournament. They were a 4 seed playing another 4 seed. Hard to compare to a 10 seed playing a 1 seed.

Honestly, like the UVA game, I think there is a 1/3 chance we lose by 10+ points, a 1/3 chance we lose by 4-9 points, and a 1/3 chance it is decided in the final minute, perhaps on the final possession.

Like the Gonzaga and UVA games, I fully expect us to get down 10+ points early. We will then have to rely on them getting complacent or defensive, then we may claw back. If we can stay within 5 with < 10 minutes to go, then I like our chances.

Last edited:
2013 - SU had a much better team that year. This year's team has been fun, but let's face it, they are a fluky final four team as a 10 seed. The 2013 team dominated excellent teams in Indiana and Marquette to get to the Final Four, and had Louisville on the ropes in the Big East tournament. They were a 4 seed playing another 4 seed. Hard to compare to a 10 seed playing a 1 seed.

That's the spirit!

Btw, you think we had Louisville on the ropes in the BET that year? They absolutely blew us out in the second half, 56-26.

Honestly, like the UVA game, I think there is a 1/3 chance we lose by 10+ points, a 1/3 chance we lose by 4-9 points, and a 1/3 chance it is decided in the final minute, perhaps on the final possession.

This is where I'm at.

I know the fanfare of that Indiana team but I'd take the Virgina team we beat this year over them and I'd take Gonzaga over Marquette.

Fluke? Maybe, but we only beat one cupcake.

We got to the FF in 2013 by playing fanatical defense, giving up 50 points a game, very similar to what we've done this year. We also got most of our offense from high ball screens and long drives to the basket. . We let up in the first half vs. Michigan and they scored 36. We revved the D back up again in the second half and gave up only 25 points but couldn't overcome the deficit, (and the bad officiating). I relaly expected to be playing Louisville of the national championship.

This UNC team is much better than Michigan and playing much better than they were when we last faced them. Our defense has to be 'on' for 40 minutes and everyone has to be playing well to stay in this game. I'll be, (pleasantly) surprised if we are in the title game.

I was more confident in 2013, but I am a lot more confident today than I was last Sunday.

That's the spirit!

Btw, you think we had Louisville on the ropes in the BET that year? They absolutely blew us out in the second half, 56-26.

Syracuse led 45-29 with 15 minutes left. Yes, that to me is having a team on the ropes.

I did not feel good about 2013 because of Burke and Hardaway.
Gaurds win in March/April... I'll take my chances against a better front court.
Exactly...If Paige and Berry go off, we will be cooked. If they don't we will be ok. Johnson and the boys may indeed eat us up, but Tyler lights up against UNC from my memory and DaJuan looks almost fully functional now (remember Brower in '87?"

HurleyForHeisman said:

Lol marquette was not an excellent team. When we beat indiana we basically made the f4. I was 100% confident we were beating marquette.

This years virginia team was better than both indiana and marquette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom