2015 Football Schedule Openings | Syracusefan.com

2015 Football Schedule Openings

GFTakedown

2nd String
I know that it is early but I was looking at our future schedule and noticed SU has two openings for the 2015 season. They are already playing Central Michigan(9/19) and LSU(9/26). They will probably schedule a FCS team again but the list of FBS teams with available openings is interesting. Since we already have 6 home games already + 1 FCS home game then the other game would be away or neutral.

AAC
UConn- playing BYU, would be good for rivalry but don't see the benefits
East Carolina- playing Florida, Virginia tech and BYU
SMU- playing Baylor and TCU
Tulane- playing Duke and Georgia Tech
Tulsa- playing Oklahoma
UCF- playing South Carolina, would be nice to play George O'Leary and game in Florida
USF- playing Maryland and FSU

B12
None

B10
Penn State- no BCS team scheduled yet, with future series can't see this happening

CUSA
FIU- playing Indiana, another game in Florida
Middle Tennessee- playing Vanderbilt and Illinois
Louisiana Tech- playing Miss State and Kansas State
North Texas- playing Iowa and Tennessee
Rice- playing Texas and Baylor
Charlotte- new FBS team, playing Temple, another game in NC

Indep
Army- playing Rutgers and Uconn, would be nice to play close to home but

MAC- good for recruiting but already playing Central Michigan
Bowling Green- playing Maryland and Purdue
Western Michigan- playing Michigan State and Ohio State

Mountain West- don't see the benefits of playing them (remember Wyoming)
Air Force- playing Michigan State
New Mexico- playing Arizona State
Hawaii- playing Colorado, Ohio State and Wisconsin
San Diego State- playing Penn State and California
San Jose State- playing BYU, Oregon State, and Auburn

Pac12
Stanford- already playing Northwestern and Notre Dame
Arizona- RichRod reluctant to play other BCS teams

SEC- tend to only schedule 1 BCS team if that, unlikely to play another SEC team
Kentucky- playing Louisville
Missouri- no BCS team yet
Tennessee- playing Oklahoma
Alabama- playing Wisconsin
Arkansas- playing Texas Tech
Miss State- reluctant to schedule any BCS teams (last time Ok State '13)

Sun Belt- nothing to offer playing these teams since not recruiting area
Texas State- playing Florida State
UL Lafayette
ULM- playing Alabama and Georgia

The 2015 schedule is tough already with away games at Louisville, FSU, NCState and Virginia and home games against LSU, Clemson, Pitt, Wake, and BC. Here is my top choices for 2015 with a FCS team also.

Top Choices
1. Charlotte - (1st year as FBS) good for recruiting areas, for fan base and for the team preparation.
2. FIU- good for recruiting areas, for fan base and for the team preparation.
3. Army- good for NY fans and team preparation
4. UCF- good for recruiting areas and for fan base, interesting to play against O'Leary
5. Missouri- it worked out last time we played them
6. Penn State- good for recruiting and fan base but we already have a series in place
7. UL Lafayette- good for team preparation, top recruiting areas and for fan base located in southern states.
8. Texas State- good for team preparation, top recruiting areas and for fan base located in southern states.
9. UConn- good for rivalry and team preparation, do we want to play at Storrs and give them anything?

I don't like Charlotte. First year FBS team seems too Rutgeresque. Don't want to throw any nuts UCONNs way. Don't need PSU, already have LSU, same with Mizzou. Forget UCF, trap game, looks horrible if you lose, gain nothing if you win. I'd prefer to stay on the coast so Texas State and Lafayette would be 2nd choices. Army and FIU would be the best choices IMO

I know that it is early but I was looking at our future schedule and noticed SU has two openings for the 2015 season. They are already playing Central Michigan(9/19) and LSU(9/26). They will probably schedule a FCS team again but the list of FBS teams with available openings is interesting. Since we already have 6 home games already + 1 FCS home game then the other game would be away or neutral.

AAC
UConn- playing BYU, would be good for rivalry but don't see the benefits
East Carolina- playing Florida, Virginia tech and BYU
SMU- playing Baylor and TCU
Tulane- playing Duke and Georgia Tech
Tulsa- playing Oklahoma
UCF- playing South Carolina, would be nice to play George O'Leary and game in Florida
USF- playing Maryland and FSU

B12
None

B10
Penn State- no BCS team scheduled yet, with future series can't see this happening

CUSA
FIU- playing Indiana, another game in Florida
Middle Tennessee- playing Vanderbilt and Illinois
Louisiana Tech- playing Miss State and Kansas State
North Texas- playing Iowa and Tennessee
Rice- playing Texas and Baylor
Charlotte- new FBS team, playing Temple, another game in NC

Indep
Army- playing Rutgers and Uconn, would be nice to play close to home but

MAC- good for recruiting but already playing Central Michigan
Bowling Green- playing Maryland and Purdue
Western Michigan- playing Michigan State and Ohio State

Mountain West- don't see the benefits of playing them (remember Wyoming)
Air Force- playing Michigan State
New Mexico- playing Arizona State
Hawaii- playing Colorado, Ohio State and Wisconsin
San Diego State- playing Penn State and California
San Jose State- playing BYU, Oregon State, and Auburn

Pac12
Stanford- already playing Northwestern and Notre Dame
Arizona- RichRod reluctant to play other BCS teams

SEC- tend to only schedule 1 BCS team if that, unlikely to play another SEC team
Kentucky- playing Louisville
Missouri- no BCS team yet
Tennessee- playing Oklahoma
Alabama- playing Wisconsin
Arkansas- playing Texas Tech
Miss State- reluctant to schedule any BCS teams (last time Ok State '13)

Sun Belt- nothing to offer playing these teams since not recruiting area
Texas State- playing Florida State
UL Lafayette
ULM- playing Alabama and Georgia

The 2015 schedule is tough already with away games at Louisville, FSU, NCState and Virginia and home games against LSU, Clemson, Pitt, Wake, and BC. Here is my top choices for 2015 with a FCS team also.

Top Choices
1. Charlotte - (1st year as FBS) good for recruiting areas, for fan base and for the team preparation.
2. FIU- good for recruiting areas, for fan base and for the team preparation.
3. Army- good for NY fans and team preparation
4. UCF- good for recruiting areas and for fan base, interesting to play against O'Leary
5. Missouri- it worked out last time we played them
6. Penn State- good for recruiting and fan base but we already have a series in place
7. UL Lafayette- good for team preparation, top recruiting areas and for fan base located in southern states.
8. Texas State- good for team preparation, top recruiting areas and for fan base located in southern states.
9. UConn- good for rivalry and team preparation, do we want to play at Storrs and give them anything?

As you noted with the 2015 schedule as tough as it is already Syracuse would be smart to schedule lightly for the remainder of the schedule. First off a 1AA is an absolute must and to be honest I would hope for an opponent similar to Wagner. It was great to actually sit back and watch a game where SU had it in the bag by halftime and some of the younger guys could play the second half. Not saying Villanova is Alabama by any stretch but when you play good 1AA teams its a no win situation for the Div 1 school and you can end up getting yourself into disasterous trouble.

As for the second opponent I like your idea of scheduling Charlotte, I also wouldnt mind playing Middle Tenn or Bowling Green.

Personally I would stay away from Army or AirForce if for no other reason then the disaster that was our performance against the option last year, it was a disaster. I would also avoid Uconn, thats a no win situation again and Diaco would probably have those guys playing like its there superbowl.

North texas would be a cool challenging small opponent and being in texas does not hurt

Army, Army, Army and Army. And then Tulane, Bowling Green or FIU. Someone we will beat.

I don't have time to google it but last I know, the two remaining games in the series were on a handshake basis. No contract was ever signed.

The series was not listed on a composite schedule of B1G games that was released in October of 2013. But this link even has dates for the two games.

But PSU appears to be trying to play a traditional Eastern rival each season. One has been scheduled for each season from 2016 to 2024. Except for 2020, 2021 and 2022 (I won't count V Tech). So one would think there is an opening for someone from the neighborhood. Maybe they want to keep it open in case the Pitt series works out well and needs to be extended (they are playing them from 2016-2019).

The games were never listed on cuse.com and for that reason and because I heard from a couple of unofficial sources that it is no more, I dropped them from the future schedules link on this web site.

I am not 100% sure what the status is of the series anymore.

This would be an excellent idea for a story for one of the writers at syracuse.com. I am looking at you Stephen Bailey.

I will not be satisfied until we achieve victory against the peds

A new girl started working in my office this week. This morning she put up a "Proud to Support Penn State Football" placard in her cubicle. I really want to rip it down, in front of her.
Ive defriended everyone i know that goes to psu on fb. Their incessant blind support of joepa and the program disgusts me.

Tulane.

1. New Orleans road trip
2. They kinda suck
3. New Orleans road trip

Tulane.

1. New Orleans road trip
2. They kinda suck
3. New Orleans road trip

I think I would use the SU game to get me down there, but I'd be willing to bet that I never actually show up at the game. When we played them a couple years back, there had to be no more than 500 people in that whole place. Would really bring the mood down. Might as well just stay out at the bars.

I would try to lock down Alabama just so we could say we played them and LSU in the same season. It's only one year and 2 losses.

I think I would use the SU game to get me down there, but I'd be willing to bet that I never actually show up at the game. When we played them a couple years back, there had to be no more than 500 people in that whole place. Would really bring the mood down. Might as well just stay out at the bars.

I would try to lock down Alabama just so we could say we played them and LSU in the same season. It's only one year and 2 losses.

With Tulane's new stadium, I think there is a renewed enthusiasm in NOLA for Tulane football. They will get 1,500 per game moving forward.

The ragin cajuns would be fresh

The Penn State series is going to go away because the B1G is going to 9 conference games. I am not upset if if goes away either as they played us in a true neutral site game at MetLife last year.
If I was SU I would sign a 2 for 1 deal with Charlotte. Our fans would show up and they will stink for a while. Maybe even get them to play us at BoA.
We got 3 games LSU, CMU, 1-AA all home games so we can play that fourth game on the road.

The Penn State series is going to go away because the B1G is going to 9 conference games. I am not upset if if goes away either as they played us in a true neutral site game at MetLife last year.
If I was SU I would sign a 2 for 1 deal with Charlotte. Our fans would show up and they will stink for a while. Maybe even get them to play us at BoA.
We got 3 games LSU, CMU, 1-AA all home games so we can play that fourth game on the road.

I think Charlotte or FIU make a lot of sense.

Tulane.

1. New Orleans road trip
2. They kinda suck
3. New Orleans road trip
For this same reason I'd love to play at Memphis or Vandy. Perfect excuses to knock those cities off my partying bucket list.

Temple would be another team I would consider a series with. We recruit PA/NJ they are a team we should beat most years. I would give them a home/home before UCF.
Our ideal non-conference schedule should be like this year if ND was at home.
3 of 4 games at home
1 challenge game LSU/Penn State/Notre Dame/USC type
1 peer school Northwestern/Vandy/Maryland/Purdue/West Virgina
1 2 for 1 MAC/Sun Belt/ or 1/1 Temple type
1 1-AA school

Never play UConn unless they will take a 1 game series at the Dome or MetLife. We should never play another FB game in the state of CT.

Even with a 9 game BiG schedule, PSU will still need OOC games in 2020 and 2021. Right now they have only LSU in 2020 at a neutral site, and nothing on the books for 2021.

I've changed my mind.

I'd like to play UConn, in my backyard.

In true Syracuse fan style though, I'd only be 50/50 on attending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom