2016-17 Hoops Statistics | Syracusefan.com

2016-17 Hoops Statistics

Louie and Bouie

Starter
Was doing some research with game by game stats and found one that caught my eye due to its uniformity. I don't have some big analysis but thought I would share it with the board.

During the 2016-17 season we were 17-0 when we shot > 45% from the field and 2-15 when we shot < 45% from the field. That was a pretty clear line of demarcation for the season offensively.

As an add-on stat we were 13-1 when we made 9 or more 3's and 6-14 when we made 8 or less 3's.

While I firmly believe our defense led to a majority of our problems and losses this year I thought these two offensive stats were interesting.

Interesting data.

Here are some other stats that stood out to me upon examination -- taking these into account, you would have thought we'd have a much better season:

• We shot 38% from three point range this year, which is really impressive. We had two players hit better than 40% of their three point attempts -- Gillon at 41.9% and White at 40.3%. Lydon just missed the cut at 39.5%. Battle was fourth with a respectable 36.6%.

• Team shot 74% from the free throw line. That's got to be some kind of team record. And again, we had a big four leading the way. Three guys shot well over 80%. Gillon shot 86%, White shot 83.7%, barely edging out Lydon at 83.6%, with Battle shooting an impressive 79.8%. What a weapon being able to hit FTs was for us this year -- a welcome change.

• Gillon tallied 184 assists [tied for 15th best in program history for single season], against 72 turnovers -- a 2.5 : 1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

• As a team, we only had 160 blocks for the season--one of the many disappointing aspects of our team defense.. Lydon led the way with a paltry 4. TT had 33 and Roberson had 27. Surprisingly, Chukwu had 14 in only 7 games. Level of competition was probably a factor, but hope he can replicate that next year.

Those first two RF I have pondered myself. Really amazing numbers anywhere, certainly for the Boeheim era. Perhaps the best numbers all-time in his regime?

I'm not going to look it up but I think SWC's post recently highlighed the 2pt FG% numbers. The percentages in the losses were dreadful and I would bet that this year could be one of the worst all time for Boeheim and/or maybe the worst of any major program in terms of actual total number of 2pt FGs. Layups, dunks, easy baskets were at an all-time low. It seemed awfully tough to get easy baskets or we just settled for jumpers. I guess when this happens and the defense is so bad then you have an NIT team despite those blistering numbers from 3 and the charity stripe. Really difficult to wrap my mind around.

Interesting data.

Here are some other stats that stood out to me upon examination -- taking these into account, you would have thought we'd have a much better season:

• We shot 38% from three point range this year, which is really impressive. We had two players hit better than 40% of their three point attempts -- Gillon at 41.9% and White at 40.3%. Lydon just missed the cut at 39.5%. Battle was fourth with a respectable 36.6%.

• Team shot 74% from the free throw line. That's got to be some kind of team record. And again, we had a big four leading the way. Three guys shot well over 80%. Gillon shot 86%, White shot 83.7%, barely edging out Lydon at 83.6%, with Battle shooting an impressive 79.8%. What a weapon being able to hit FTs was for us this year -- a welcome change.

• Gillon tallied 184 assists [tied for 15th best in program history for single season], against 72 turnovers -- a 2.5 : 1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

• As a team, we only had 160 blocks for the season--one of the many disappointing aspects of our team defense.. Lydon led the way with a paltry 4. TT had 33 and Roberson had 27. Surprisingly, Chukwu had 14 in only 7 games. Level of competition was probably a factor, but hope he can replicate that next year.

Regarding free-throw shooting, it's not crazy to say we'd have had a losing record with a typical Syracuse free-throw percentage. Florida State, Virginia, all the buzzer-beaters. We needed every point.

I posted about this on the 23rd and SU managed to improve after that game: from .722 to .74 for the year. Awesome. Strange as it is to believe, it's not Boeheim's best: 1984, .751; 1981, .749.

But this season is very, very impressive. In addition to the top two, there were .715 seasons in 1985, 1994, and 2001. Every other year was worse, with a low point of .600 in 1988. So that's a big positive for 2017.

Those first two RF I have pondered myself. Really amazing numbers anywhere, certainly for the Boeheim era. Perhaps the best numbers all-time in his regime?

I'm not going to look it up but I think SWC's post recently highlighed the 2pt FG% numbers. The percentages in the losses were dreadful and I would bet that this year could be one of the worst all time for Boeheim and/or maybe the worst of any major program in terms of actual total number of 2pt FGs. Layups, dunks, easy baskets were at an all-time low. It seemed awfully tough to get easy baskets or we just settled for jumpers. I guess when this happens and the defense is so bad then you have an NIT team despite those blistering numbers from 3 and the charity stripe. Really difficult to wrap my mind around.

Net Points Etc Part 3: Awards and Team stats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom