3. Tyler Roberson
4. Tyler Lydon
5. Matthew Moyer

Guards
6. Frank Howard
7. Tyus Battle
8. John Gillon

Possible 9. Malachi Richardson

We now have 9 soft scholarship players and 8 hard scholarship players for next year.

Are the odds more probable than not we will fill these last 2(3)scholarships for next year? If so are we looking at more likely another 5th year graduate player, real transfer, or HS kids?

Yes, we will fill at least one with a big (Taurean Thompson possibly) and we are also interested in Mike Bibby Jr as a guard.

That seems like the perfect 8 man rotation for JB. If we take any more kids this class, IMO they should be projects. Concentrate on getting 4-5 top kids for the year after. If you bring in five Top 100 kids next year that will give you 8-10 players for 2017-18 depending on who leaves. I don't see where Thompson fits next year unless Moyer is willing to redshirt.

We are in the thick of things for a lot of elite 2017 guys that I don't see us taking anyone who would jeopardize one of the elite 2017 guys from coming here. This is a solid roster IMO.

HRE Otto IV said:
That seems like the perfect 8 man rotation for JB. If we take any more kids this class, IMO they should be projects. Concentrate on getting 4-5 top kids for the year after. If you bring in five Top 100 kids next year that will give you 8-10 players for 2017-18 depending on who leaves. I don't see where Thompson fits next year unless Moyer is willing to redshirt.
Moyer isn't gonna shirt...

An 8 man rotation is VERY different than an 8 man roster. Filling out with projects? That is why got us to where we are at...guys left early and the projects realized they were not going good to play so we are left holding an empty bench.
I do agree that we have a solid 8 man rotation. With Gilson on board. But injuries happen. Do we really want a project or walk on in our 8 man rotation? Don't worry about 2017. Roberson, Coleman and some combo of Mali and/or Lydon will open up schollies. Thompson at least is a need for 2016. We can survive without him but I'd rather have him pushing to be part of the rotation. JB will play more than 8 if they are good enough.

There will be plenty of roster spots for 2017. Also being in the mix for elite talent doesn't mean that they'll commit to SU.

No need to kneecap yourself for someone that might not ever go to SU.

An 8 man rotation is VERY different than an 8 man roster. Filling out with projects? That is why got us to where we are at...guys left early and the projects realized they were not going good to play so we are left holding an empty bench.
I do agree that we have a solid 8 man rotation. With Gilson on board. But injuries happen. Do we really want a project or walk on in our 8 man rotation? Don't worry about 2017. Roberson, Coleman and some combo of Mali and/or Lydon will open up schollies. Thompson at least is a need for 2016. We can survive without him but I'd rather have him pushing to be part of the rotation. JB will play more than 8 if they are good enough.

Top 100 players are not going to be happy being the 9th or 10th guy in an 8 man rotation. We need more bodies for sure. But those bodies need to be guys who don't expect to play right away. Those types are 4 years players. That is what we have been missing lately and why our roster is messed up. The "projects" who left early were pushed out due to the scholarship restrictions.

nope, no more project bullchit. were syracuse, not seton hall

Injuries are a concern, especially in the backcourt.

One injury and we're left with only two guards.

Thompson would be ready to start as a sophomore and give us some experience at PF.

I can't imagine there's many teams in college hoops with only 8 players.

It's playing with fire.

Who's left from 2016 that is going to add value to the program long term besides Thompson and maybe Bibby? I don't see anyone.

Top 100 players are not going to be happy being the 9th or 10th guy in an 8 man rotation. We need more bodies for sure. But those bodies need to be guys who don't expect to play right away. Those types are 4 years players. That is what we have been missing lately and why our roster is messed up. The "projects" who left early were pushed out due to the scholarship restrictions.

Who said a top 100 guy would be the 9th or 10th guy.

If we get a guard he'd probably start or worst case split minutes with Howard. If it's a forward it might be a little more iffy but to be totally honest I'm not completely sold on Moyer. And at center nobody knows what's up with Colemans knees or if 72 will even be effective enough to play big minutes.

We nab a top 30-40, he gets minutes.

We nab a top 30-40, he gets minutes.

I agree with that. We are talking about Thompson who is currently ranked 79/84/90. So who would he be getting mins from? JB isn't playing 9. Are you going to have three Cs split the 40 mins? Same with guard. We have Howard and Gillon. Will we have 3 guys split the time? This is all assuming Mali is gone. If he comes back then there is even less mins to go around.

nope, no more project bullchit. were syracuse, not seton hall

The 9th, 10th, 11th guys should be guys like Southerland. That is what I want. The 9th-11th scholarship isn't a Top 100 recruit ANYWHERE. I don't want a guy in the 8 man roation as a project. I want a guy who can be in the 8 man roation as a JR, and that isn't going to be a 4 star kid.

You could not be more wrong. The guys who left were not pushed out having anything to do with the scholarship limitations. They left for playing opportunities. And at Syracuse many many top 50 recruits come in and play limited minutes their freshman year.

The 9th, 10th, 11th guys should be guys like Southerland. That is what I want. The 9th-11th scholarship isn't a Top 100 recruit ANYWHERE. I don't want a guy in the 8 man roation as a project. I want a guy who can be in the 8 man roation as a JR, and that isn't going to be a 4 star kid.

I agree with you 100%, there are different types of projects I guess. A guy like Southerland while not what I would call a project, but an athlete with a solid skill "three point shooting", that seems to be more successful than taking an athletic guy with zero basketball skill.

You could not be more wrong. The guys who left were not pushed out having anything to do with the scholarship limitations. They left for playing opportunities. And at Syracuse many many top 50 recruits come in and play limited minutes their freshman year.

I don't buy the push out comment. Players that left wanted more PT than they were going to get. Which is weird because some of those guys would have been very good players on a big stage if they just waited in year or two.

tell that to kansas, kentucky, duke etc... you know, the programs that have won big

Injuries are a concern, especially in the backcourt.

One injury and we're left with only two guards.

Thompson would be ready to start as a sophomore and give us some experience at PF.

I can't imagine there's many teams in college hoops with only 8 players.

It's playing with fire.

Couldn't you have said the same about this year in the frontcourt?

If Lydon had went down this year we would of been in the CBI.

tell that to kansas, kentucky, duke etc... you know, the programs that have won big

Well you would be wrong. I swear our fans live in a bubble sometimes. I am not going to go through each team and each recruiting site but will give you this for Duke's last title team:

Eight Top 70 kids, one transfer non Top 100, and two walk ons

They did not have ten or eleven Top 100 kids. Kentucky loses like 5 kids a year. I highly doubt the have 10 or 11 on their roster.

Well you would be wrong. I swear our fans live in a bubble sometimes. I am not going to go through each team and each recruiting site but will give you this for Duke's last title team:

Eight Top 70 kids, one transfer non Top 100, and two walk ons

They did not have ten or eleven Top 100 kids. Kentucky loses like 5 kids a year. I highly doubt the have 10 or 11 on their roster.
Yes, Syracuse fans do live in a bubble. So do all fan bases. KU, UK, and Duke are also bringing in four or five 5-stars each season. SU does not. Verbal commits is a good site to go through different teams and see what they have. A team doesn't need ten 5-stars, but 4-5 go along way and teams that don't get three to five 5-stars every season tend to stock up on a lot of 3-star talent who develop into Jr./Sr starters. Very few teams go into a season with fewer than 10 scholarship players.

Cusefan0307 said:
Couldn't you have said the same about this year in the frontcourt? If Lydon had went down this year we would of been in the CBI.

Sure.

It will always be an issue when you have a small roster.

But we wasted a lot of energy worrying about scholarship reductions when we have difficulty filing 9 or 10 scholarships.

Scholarship reductions are the least of our concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom