2018 Australian Open | Syracusefan.com

2018 Australian Open

ScrabbCuse

Starter
Haven’t seen a thread posted on this yet.

On the men’s side, it looks like Federer’s title to lose. No Rafa, Djokovic, Dimitrov, Thiem ...
Only one American guy left and his name is Tennys. Glad to see his career is catching up to his name. The guy from South Korea, Chung, looks like the real deal. I could see him winning a bunch of grand slams in the future. There’s also a British guy not named Murray in the semis. Strange tournament this year.

Nadal lost last night?! I knew I should have stayed up.

Federer's match Sunday night was pretty awesome to watch, that 2nd set was narley as heck.

Read a deadspin article on Tennys. Dude sounds like a real tool.

Nadal lost last night?! I knew I should have stayed up.

Federer's match Sunday night was pretty awesome to watch, that 2nd set was narley as heck.

Read a deadspin article on Tennys. Dude sounds like a real tool.

Nadal injured himself and had to retire down 0-2 in the fifth set.

Heard the same thing about Tennys. Some posters here would have a field day about his views on the OT Board.

Crazy amount of parody this year, especially on the women’s side. Feel bad for Nick K. He played a helluva match early Sunday morning and blew it on the easiest overhead he’ll ever see. If I’m lucky enough to have a child, I would have no problem having him Tennys.

watched the britt vs the Cilic this morning. The britt was not in the same league as the other guys left. I think Federer is going to have some trouble with Cilic. Chung just doesn't get enough easy points off his serve to threaten Fed. He likes long rallies and Fed will either 1. not let it happen.
2. Go along with him and do it better.

My girlfriend's a huge Federer fan. I've been pulling for Chung a bit, and mentioned that I'd pull for him tonight. She looked me straight in the eyes and said "If you root for Chung, I'll root for Georgetown the next time they play Syracuse"...

Lets Go Federer.

watched the britt vs the Cilic this morning. The britt was not in the same league as the other guys left. I think Federer is going to have some trouble with Cilic. Chung just doesn't get enough easy points off his serve to threaten Fed. He likes long rallies and Fed will either 1. not let it happen.
2. Go along with him and do it better.

I don’t think Chung can knock off Federer just yet but of all the young players, I like his game the best. Guys like Thiem and Zverev are good but I have a feeling in 10 years, when Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc are all retired, Chung is going to be the guy everyone is gunning for.

I don’t think Chung can knock off Federer just yet but of all the young players, I like his game the best. Guys like Thiem and Zverev are good but I have a feeling in 10 years, when Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc are all retired, Chung is going to be the guy everyone is gunning for.

What a no show.

I'll take that bet. Them, Zverev, Dimitrov, and Shapovalov are all legit. Chung has some technical difficulties in his stroke that are going to make life hard for him on the injury front IMO. BTW - the next 10 years are going to be fun to watch. We're about to see an American resurgence.

really need some americans to step it up and get the sport back again.

What a no show.

The guy is 21. Let’s see how he progresses in the next few years. This is like an NBA rookie defending Lebron the first month of his career. Doesn’t really mean much yet.

Congrats to Wozniacki on her first slam title. Was a pretty entertaining match. 6-4 in the third set is almost as good as it gets. I feel bad for Halep as she is still winless in the majors, but she played a great tournament. I’ll be cheering her on in the French.

Federer...GOAT.

Outside of the French Open, where he’s only won once, I think I’d be bored with winning if I were him.

I’d really like to be bored with winning. At something. Anything really.

Federer...GOAT.

Outside of the French Open, where he’s only won once, I think I’d be bored with winning if I were him.

I’d really like to be bored with winning. At something. Anything really.

I think he just loves playing the game of tennis itself. He has nothing left to prove but the passion for the sport is still there. Really quite remarkable. The only question left is whether he will play another two years to try to win the only thing he’s never won - an Olympic Singles Gold Medal.

Vince Carter turns 41 this week and is still ballin' in the NBA, 40-year-old Tom Brady's getting ready for another Super Bowl and 36-freakin-year-old Roger Federer wins his 20th career slam and is still going strong (and, soon, 36-year-old new mommy Serena is back, too). Aging has been redefined, altered -- in a good way.

50 parting thoughts from the 2018 Australian Open

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom