2018 College football coach rankings: Power Five coaches | Syracusefan.com

2018 College football coach rankings: Power Five coaches

certainly not make or break, our roster was a disgrace by P5 standards when he took over. I certainly think we can get to 6-6 like MS Orange says above, but if not(barring a season from hell), it is certainly not make or break

I don't care so much about wins and losses, just keep getting stronger. Tommy is here for four more years and he will make it happen. ED will be marked as the turn around player when all is said and done. He is the talent milestone.

certainly not make or break, our roster was a disgrace by P5 standards when he took over. I certainly think we can get to 6-6 like MS Orange says above, but if not(barring a season from hell), it is certainly not make or break

Agreed. When you are a new coach that’s starting from absolute rock bottom talent wise(see recent NFL drafts) and in a tough league, it’s at least a 5 year process before you start talking “make or break” seasons. We were already friggin broken. Takes time to put it back together.

I think if we don't go bowling this year, their will be unrest in the fanbase - but not with Wildhack.

They can unrest all they want. If the turnaround is year 4 or year 5, the fans will be back. Happens here, happens there, happens everywhere. Fans do not forever abandon Sam I Am.

it's all context. if we start out strong again and then fold like a chair in November then it would be prudent for people to question what's going wrong late in the year. I don't think anyone should think that Dino Babers is Bill Belichick at this point. I just need to see progress in a meaningful way. It may be 6 wins, it could be 10. Just need to see the meter pointing up in November.

it's all context. if we start out strong again and then fold like a chair in November then it would be prudent for people to question what's going wrong late in the year. I don't think anyone should think that Dino Babers is Bill Belichick at this point. I just need to see progress in a meaningful way. It may be 6 wins, it could be 10. Just need to see the meter pointing up in November.
Agree that we do need to finish strong or else the "weak finish" pattern starts to be looked at as a trend, which might then be perceived as a habit.
Without a doubt Dino needs a minimum of 5 years and short of a total face-plant in year 5, he should be kept on as long as necessary.

I think many of us fall in the "have to win at least 6" category. elimunelson understands we need to not fall off in November. Hopefully we can chalk up the last two, 0-fer-novembers to a lack of our starting QB. Regardless I think winning 6 is very possible even with question marks at WR, OL, and LB.

The OL looks better on paper and somehow someway our WR's will produce in this offense. LB for me is our big question mark but an improved DL and improved secondary can hide some LB flaws.

The answer in getting 6 is having the better QB than 6 other teams. I believe we have a better QB (Dungey - If it's Devito at any point he COULD be better but we just haven't seen him take a snap yet) than 9 teams.

WMU, Wagner, UConn, Pittsburgh, UNC, Wake, Louisville, Notre Dame, and BC

Can Syracuse go 6-3 against those teams? A surprise against FSU, Clemson, or NCST would be huge. I think they get 7 wins this year. I do not want us at 5 wins heading into BC. Who knows what either team looks like by then but a team playing at home with a sound D and a very good running back spells trouble for our boys in Orange.

Let's. Go. Orange. It's out there for the taking

The fall off in November is all due to lack of depth. Every team in college football has injuries, most can plug and play another player and not have a huge drop off. We did not have enough talent at the 2 deep the last few years and that Dino has had a few classes we should be able to survive the bumps and bruises of a season without the huge drop off we've seen the last few years.

The fall off in November is all due to lack of depth. Every team in college football has injuries, most can plug and play another player and not have a huge drop off. We did not have enough talent at the 2 deep the last few years and that Dino has had a few classes we should be able to survive the bumps and bruises of a season without the huge drop off we've seen the last few years.

That's what i'm hoping for. I'm cautiously optimistic we can drive home some wins down the stretch and get bowl eligible.

I don't care so much about wins and losses, just keep getting stronger. Tommy is here for four more years and he will make it happen. ED will be marked as the turn around player when all is said and done. He is the talent milestone.

I agree. That said, we need to see some game breakers in this offense. I believe Babers has turned the OL around and has recruited a talented group of QB's but the WR's have to start showing us more that he has recruited. Will they...I think so but this year his WR recruits have to step up or there are going to be a plethora of defensive players in the box. There is a wonderful opportunity here for them and having an experienced QB and solid RB's will give them more than enough chances to succeed but again, they have to step up as this is Babers second full class as Freshman and Sophs and a touch of his third class as he had to hurry to get that group together so that one is a pass in my eyes.

I don't expect it from the RB's...yet...though Neal is a very good back that is Babers recruit and hopefully they gave him a bit of a grace to load up the backfield which seems to have some very nice potential.

Is there anyone who believes recruiting has not improved under Babers?

That's the main deal. Winning is about talent on the field and Babers' system is attracting the right level of talent.

Depth and balance are coming slowly because it really does take 5+ years to recover from the bottom of the conference.

We have had several talented players to watch during the process and yes, most were Shafer recruits playing in Babers' system. (Same paradigm with every turnaround.) Now, we need Babers players in Babers system.

ED is great, but Babers wouldn't have recruited him as he is not what fits in Dino's system. Great example of the challenges in building a winning program. Best player in decades and he is really the wrong type for the current system. Our point production hasn't really improved enough - we need to be putting up 32 to 35 points. (Last year we were 9th in ACC with 27.4 ppg.) The system is a long way away from reaching its potential.

We are winning some recruiting battles we have not won in 30 years. We have beaten teams we haven't beaten in decades.

Babers' players playing Babers' system in a newly refurbished stadium. Its finally happening in a concerted professional fashion.

We are gaining respect - or should I say regaining - and everyone has to take us seriously.

I can wait.

LGO!