2018 Fall Ball Thread... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Ball Thread...

With fall ball all done I wanted to revisit our starting roster. (This is not necessarily my preferred starters just what I predict they will be) with there IL recruiting rank in ( )

Attack:
Brad Voigt (84)
Nate Solomon (57)
Stephen Rehfuss (unranked)
(4th attack) Griffey Cook (25)

Midfield:
Jamie Trimboli (34)
Tucker Dordevic (27)
Brendan Curry (49)

David Lipka (unranked)
Brad McKinney (60)
Lucas Quinn (13) or Jacob Buttermore (unranked)

FO:
Danny Varello (unranked)

SSDM:
Peter Dearth (63)
Dami Oladunmoye (unranked)

LSM:
Brett Kennedy (unranked)
Jared Fernandez (68)

Defense:
Tyson Bomberrry (41)
Marcus Cunningham (unranked)
Nick Mellen (30)

Goalie:
Drake Porter (unranked)

Very had to argue with these 1st lines. Will be interesting to see who runs with the 2nd line. Do you expect any freshmen other than Cook to see the field?

Very had to argue with these 1st lines. Will be interesting to see who runs with the 2nd line. Do you expect any freshmen other than Cook to see the field?
It's hard because the second best freshman is probably Mangan but for sure in my mind 5 of the 6 midfield spots are taken. I can't see him beating Quinn or Buttermore out. For that matter the third line will probably include McKinney, Quinn or Buttermore, and Osullivan With such a young midfield I would like to see all the freshman middies redshirted as only two spots will open up the next few years. Injury to a defenseman could put the younger Kennedy in line for a shot. But even that would be surprising. If we tried to avoid a Wisnauskus situation players like McKinney and O'Sullivan should probably be left off the third line in favor of young players. However I'll always say the best players should play regardless of feelings.

You basically have to attend IL events a few times to be ranked , some players do not. Might be case with Cunningham. Refhuss was 135 pounds in his sr year before growing and filling out, just keeps getting better. Forgot Helmer on list, likely first line dm and #63 . Dami was outside top 100 but #31 IL middy. List also missing capt. Fusco who was #58 by IL in 2014. Kennedy ranked 60th by Xanders RR before high school injury. Others, DiPietro will be on field in some capacity and #40 IL. Klan competing for G spot with Porter and Strang and was #24 IL., fared well in fall as have the other two.
Expect Carlin to start on second line . He was a leading multi sport athlete. OSullivan may see some runs there , he was IL #73. Buttermore bit overshadowed by hs teammate Moore now at UVA but stats matched. The assembly of good talent is present

As far as other potential frosh, Magnan missed some with mild strain, maybe puts self into convo in January. Kims showed well in various scrimmages , could garner closer look vs first stringers in January scrimmages

You basically have to attend IL events a few times to be ranked , some players do not. Might be case with Cunningham. Refhuss was 135 pounds in his sr year before growing and filling out, just keeps getting better. Forgot Helmer on list, likely first line dm and #63 . Dami was outside top 100 but #31 IL middy. List also missing capt. Fusco who was #58 by IL in 2014. Kennedy ranked 60th by Xanders RR before high school injury. Others, DiPietro will be on field in some capacity and #40 IL. Klan competing for G spot with Porter and Strang and was #24 IL., fared well in fall as have the other two.
Expect Carlin to start on second line . He was a leading multi sport athlete. OSullivan may see some runs there , he was IL #73. Buttermore bit overshadowed by hs teammate Moore now at UVA but stats matched. The assembly of good talent is present

As far as other potential frosh, Magnan missed some with mild strain, maybe puts self into convo in January. Kims showed well in various scrimmages , could garner closer look vs first stringers in January scrimmages
Agreed on Carlin I edited my post my mind mixed him and McKinney up. Helmer still listed as LSM will be interesting to see what happens with him and Murphy. I strongly dislike how Fusco plays... he doesn't deserve time based on how Kennedy and Fernandez played last year. Fusco leads the team in penalties every year. Sometimes I think he get playing time because he is a great leader and firery guy. That doesn't make you a good lacrosse player. Kennedy and Fernandez take the ball away from the other team. They deserve the playing time

With fall ball all done I wanted to revisit our starting roster. (This is not necessarily my preferred starters just what I predict they will be) with there IL recruiting rank in ( )

Attack:
Brad Voigt (84)
Nate Solomon (57)
Stephen Rehfuss (unranked)
(4th attack) Griffey Cook (25)

Midfield:
Jamie Trimboli (34)
Tucker Dordevic (27)
Brendan Curry (49)

David Lipka (unranked)
Edit: Pat Carlin (I mistakenly put McKinney)
Lucas Quinn (13) or Jacob Buttermore (unranked)

FO:
Danny Varello (unranked)

SSDM:
Peter Dearth (63)
Dami Oladunmoye (unranked)

LSM:
Brett Kennedy (unranked)
Jared Fernandez (68)

Defense:
Tyson Bomberrry (41)
Marcus Cunningham (unranked)
Nick Mellen (30)

Goalie:
Drake Porter (unranked)[/QUOTE

Fusco is solid and #11, he'll be in lsm rotation. Kennedy talented, could be moved around for certain matchups, likely given ones if Mellen ever out. Helmer versatility is a real asset , good dm and probably needed there most but can play all and any if needed. He appears to be healthy and moving well Fernandez has to return to field, expect him to be dressed come January but may take some time to hit stride. Enjoyed contemplating your list , my groupings add and slightly deeper, Fusco at lsm, Helmer at dm , OSullivan at 2nd mid , DiPietro at CD, Phoup at fogo and Strang at goalie .

Based on the 4 decomitts SU might try and red-shirt as many guys as possible to essentially put them in the 2019 class.

Based on the 4 decomitts SU might try and red-shirt as many guys as possible to essentially put them in the 2019 class.
That will probably cause some transfers and exacerbate the issue. Tough spot for Desktop.

That will probably cause some transfers and exacerbate the issue. Tough spot for Desktop.

Yup its a gamble either way, gotta find guys who are ok with it. I think a guy like Fiorini is a perfect Redshirt candidate same with Aburn. Seems unlikely Magnan will redshirt at this point but it wouldn't be the worst idea especially if a lot of the young middies take that next step ie Quinn, Buttermore, Lipka etc. In retrospect, we should have redshirted a few of the guys last year who barely played (Seebold + Lauder) but as you noted financial considerations and potential transfers may have played a role. Tough spot for sure.

Not really a fan of designating the short stick ssdms. It just seems awkward and unnecessary. Guys like Murphy could very well end up playing short stick or LSM. I was thinking Helmer was definitely going to play short stick at some point so it looks weird to see them officially designated otherwise. A guy like Dearth who was a 1st line offensive middie to start the season and someone we are thinking of using as an old school 2 way middie is now officially listed as SSDM. Why box them into specific categories like that? Kinda seems to go against getting back to the old school cuse lax ways to have these specific labels.

Not really a fan of designating the short stick ssdms. It just seems awkward and unnecessary. Guys like Murphy could very well end up playing short stick or LSM. I was thinking Helmer was definitely going to play short stick at some point so it looks weird to see them officially designated otherwise. A guy like Dearth who was a 1st line offensive middie to start the season and someone we are thinking of using as an old school 2 way middie is now officially listed as SSDM. Why box them into specific categories like that? Kinda seems to go against getting back to the old school cuse lax ways to have these specific labels.

I think it's an improvement from the days when all the FOGO's, O-Mids and D-Mids were just listed as "M".

"Official" designations are meaningless once the game starts.

Fernandez is listed as a Sophomore, so it appears as though he was not granted a redshirt?

I was also under the impression that Jerry Staats only played one year at OCC, so shouldn't he be a Sophomore instead of a Junior?

Fernandez is listed as a Sophomore, so it appears as though he was not granted a redshirt?

I was also under the impression that Jerry Staats only played one year at OCC, so shouldn't he be a Sophomore instead of a Junior?

SU will sometimes list players under their academic years versus what their athletic eligibility is, I wouldn't read to much into it.

It's time to stop the Helmer and Murphy SSDM trial. They both played okay but looked absolutely terrible with the ball in their sticks. That takes away from transition and they turned the ball over several times. With 2 starting long poles graduating after this year we need these guys to have a long pole in their hands all year.

Syracuse last year had to cancel its fallball because of a mumps outbreak. Practicing this fall will pay huge dividends. “There were some young guys that didn't really understand what our fallball consisted of,” Nick Mellen said. “You know fallball's intense, and makes us the team that we are in the spring. I think having fallball is greatly beneficial to our team.” At a Syracuse practice, transition offense and playing fast was the name of the game — something the Orange are excited about heading into 2019. “Definitely run and gun, get back to the old Syracuse way,” said Nate Solomon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom