2018 Fall Camp: Practice #5, Tues. August 7 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Camp: Practice #5, Tues. August 7

"Will be interesting if Bolinsky has to start in the season opener at Western Michigan."

That's not exactly the choice of words I'd use if a freshman walk-on long snapper has to start against WMU.

"Will be interesting if Bolinsky has to start in the season opener at Western Michigan."

That's not exactly the choice of words I'd use if a freshman walk-on long snapper has to start against WMU.
Did you see what Keller is sitting on in that picture? I think I prefer interesting than likely.

The staff recruited him, likely to take over for Keller. Keller and Rodgers before him both started as true freshmen. It will be fine.

The staff recruited him, likely to take over for Keller. Keller and Rodgers before him both started as true freshmen. It will be fine.
We hope as long as "1st snap Mackeys'" don't happen. Just snap the ball and don't get blown up. Hopefully Keller is back by FSU if not sooner.

We hope as long as "1st snap Mackeys'" don't happen. Just snap the ball and don't get blown up. Hopefully Keller is back by FSU if not sooner.
Are you talking about Mackey's not great short snapping in 2010?

I'm guessing the staff only allocates one scholly for LS.. With Keller a Sr. I gotta think he already proved himself, or there would be another LS on the roster. I don't think PWO means anything, in this case.

Are you talking about Mackey's not great short snapping in 2010?

If memory serves, Mackey was brought in to snap because Durand (was it?) couldn't. The first play of the Marrone era was a shotgun snap over the head of Paulus vs Minny, i think. And then Eric Decker took over is what I remember most.

If memory serves, Mackey was brought in to snap because Durand (was it?) couldn't. The first play of the Marrone era was a shotgun snap over the head of Paulus vs Minny, i think. And then Eric Decker took over is what I remember most.
Ryan Bartholemew was the center Macky's freshman year in 2010.

Just don’t party like it’s 1999.

Our punt snaps split more goalposts than our FGs and XPs that year.

Babers said Cisco has been impressive and looks forward to seeing what he can do in more game-like environments. He mentioned the upcoming scrimmage as the first real measuring stick. Again, from what I’ve gathered Cisco will be a day 1 starter.

Another confirmation from Babers is that the change to the 4-2-5 is in fact the result of personnel limitations and it’s fit schematically against more spread offenses we tend to see in the ACC.

For those who have complained about the Tampa-2 at times, myself included, I think this is the most effective approach to stopping an offense in 2018. Teams like Wake Forest, Louisville & even MTSU were able to isolate LB’s against the read option, take advantage &hand cuse an L

Put a DB in there and now you have a better athlete in space who can drop into underneath zones quicker or react to a read-options and RPOs faster than a tradional OLB. The change secures your perimeter defense and helps against the pass. In theory at least.

More from Babers, he hasn’t seen any one side of the offensive or defensive lines really take control of the line of scrimmage. After the first day of pads, it’s fair to wonder if experience on the O-Line is translating into visible improvement. So far it seems it hasn’t.

His last thought on the o-line and run game—Babers said he prides himself on having an offense that can run the football. He noted that all of his successful teams were able to gain yards on the ground. His 2015 MAC champion BGSU team had two RB’s avg over 5yds/carry.

So easy point this season, if SU can run the ball, the offense should be successful, and if it can’t, we’ll likely see more red zone struggles and disappointing drives against good teams.

Last thought: Babers praised his LBs for their efforts so far in camp but made sure to indicate they’re young and still make mistakes. So.. Usually, when you judge a schedule, you look at how many good quarterbacks you play.

But for Syracuse, taking a look at how many good rushing attacks they face this season may be an indication of where their record could end up.

WMU returns four members of last season’s O-Line & both of their top two running backs. A group that finished 21st in the country in rushing offense. Keep an eye on the trenches throughout camp and game 1. Could be very telling about what kind of team Babers has in 2018.

Football knowers - is this drill all about explosion off the line? Not sure I understand why they stay low the whole time.
This is my Johnny drill. Its a fundy drill we do every defensive practice. Mainly for not giving up on a tackle. Chase from behind to lunge out and sweep the leg. Who knows why I call it Johnny?

More from Babers, he hasn’t seen any one side of the offensive or defensive lines really take control of the line of scrimmage. After the first day of pads, it’s fair to wonder if experience on the O-Line is translating into visible improvement. So far it seems it hasn’t.

This might not be a bad thing. If you think the DL is the best we've had in a while and you expect the OL to be the best we've had in a while, then playing even might be the result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom