2018 Mets thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Mets thread

Conforto wanted to get called up so he could face Strasburg, now he's homered off him. Love it.

Great start wondering with conforto back If you think about playing lagares in center and moving Bruce to 1b.

Anyone else watching this April classic tonight? Mets have played some ugly baseball tonight while the Nats seem to be totally locked in... but somehow we are in extra innings. Win or lose, tonight has been one of the most impressive performances of the year for the Metsies. Sends a message that if the Nats want the division this year they'll have to work for it.

Great great win... as they say you can’t win a division in April, but you sure can lose them. When Murph gets back though, the Nats will be scary.

Mets need to win the series against Miami to keep the good times rolling. The starters are worrying me as they have not been able to go deep. I’m not sure what everyone is watching but Harvey looks like he’s toast... he has no movement on his pitches, no velocity and limited control. He can’t overpuwer even average hitters and pitches to way too much hard contact. Mets need more arms basically. But if everyone stays healthy this is a playoff team.

Anyone else watching this April classic tonight? Mets have played some ugly baseball tonight while the Nats seem to be totally locked in... but somehow we are in extra innings. Win or lose, tonight has been one of the most impressive performances of the year for the Metsies. Sends a message that if the Nats want the division this year they'll have to work for it.

What a gutsy win. Some solid and ballsy managing too. Liked loading the bases on purpose and using the good ole sac bunt. It's funny how much it has gone out of style despite how many good Marlin teams lived off it alongside stealing every base in sight.

Only frustrating thing so far is how much we are relying on the pen. Be nice to get a 7 or 8 inning outing for a change to give the pen a rest.

Great great win... as they say you can’t win a division in April, but you sure can lose them. When Murph gets back though, the Nats will be scary.

Mets need to win the series against Miami to keep the good times rolling. The starters are worrying me as they have not been able to go deep. I’m not sure what everyone is watching but Harvey looks like he’s toast... he has no movement on his pitches, no velocity and limited control. He can’t overpuwer even average hitters and pitches to way too much hard contact. Mets need more arms basically. But if everyone stays healthy this is a playoff team.

Agree on Harvey, kinda surprised he didn't get rocked for 8 or 9 runs the way he was throwing...

Yep a few more starts like that and I'll be concerned with Harvey. Good news is we have good depth this year with Lugo and Gsellman in the pen, when both are starters and can step in for Harvey. Not too mention Wheeler in AAA.

Starters going deep is not a reason for concern at this point. The bullpen has been fantastic thus far. I think he is trying to save the starters arms and pulling them fairly early when pitch counts are high.

Lets Go Mets

Harvey just cant spot his pitches right now for more than an inning at a time. Still if he fields a grounball he leavs after 5 with 3 ER and gets the win..

If thats all he can get is 5+ i could live with that if he cant keep it to 3 runs a game.

Harvey just cant spot his pitches right now for more than an inning at a time. Still if he fields a grounball he leavs after 5 with 3 ER and gets the win..

If thats all he can get is 5+ i could live with that if he cant keep it to 3 runs a game.
The question I have is given Harvey's performance to date... should he be the reliever and have Lugo be the 3rd starter. Lugo looks amazing out there and is a true pitcher who doesn't rely on velocity to get outs. Whereas Harvey fades very very quickly after the 1st or 2nd time through the order... I also wonder if he was limited to one or two innings whether his velocity would tick up again. The positive thing is I can say for the first time in a while that I trust the Mets manager to make the right decision. I loved Collins as a person but I questioned whether the Mets won because of him or in spite of him... I don't question that with Callaway.

I also want to point out how sad it is to see Harvey become such an average guy... when he first came on he was a force of nature that I've only seen with a very select few guys like Kershaw, Baumgartner, Pedro, etc. Man it sucks that injuries have taken such a toll on his game.

Yep a few more starts like that and I'll be concerned with Harvey. Good news is we have good depth this year with Lugo and Gsellman in the pen, when both are starters and can step in for Harvey. Not too mention Wheeler in AAA.

Starters going deep is not a reason for concern at this point. The bullpen has been fantastic thus far. I think he is trying to save the starters arms and pulling them fairly early when pitch counts are high.

Lets Go Mets

Wheeler isn't much of an upgrade of Harvey. They're virtually at the same point. The only difference is that Wheeler has never done anything to prove he belongs at the MLB level when with the Mets and there wasn't a better option. Harvey has his old reputation that's giving him life support. I do think he's better suited for the pen at this time in his career. When you see all of the losses the Mets racked up when he was in his prime, his fall from grace sucks that much more.

Look at the Met's starting pitchers April 9-14:

New York Mets 2018 Schedule - Mets Home and Away - ESPN

FINALLY!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first time that these five will have been part of the same active, scheduled rotation?

Granted, Harvey and Wheeler apparently aren't Harvey and Wheeler anymore, but it's still neat. Somewhere Paul Wilson, Jason Isringhausen, Bill Pulsipher, and Bobby Jones are sighing wistfully.

I so much tried to find someone i vegas to get money down on the mets at 35-1 before the season started.. by the time i get there in june the odds may be totally changed.

Travis d'Arnaud has to be the most frustrated guy in the world, (unless that's Sandy Alderson when he thinks of d'Arnaud.)

Mets' d'Arnaud to DL with partial UCL tear

He's already missed 286 games in the his four full seasons as a Met.
The Mets need to move on from d'Arnaud... even when his arm was healthy he could not throw anyone out. I also have not been a huge fan of how he calls games. Given that d'Arnaud is in the last year before some sort of free agency he might have played his last game as a Met. Unfortunately I don't think that Plawecki is much better... no idea how Nido is but I hope his arm is better than TDA and he can actually throw someone out. Might be time to find a free agent catcher.

The Mets need to move on from d'Arnaud... even when his arm was healthy he could not throw anyone out. I also have not been a huge fan of how he calls games. Given that d'Arnaud is in the last year before some sort of free agency he might have played his last game as a Met. Unfortunately I don't think that Plawecki is much better... no idea how Nido is but I hope his arm is better than TDA and he can actually throw someone out. Might be time to find a free agent catcher.

My impression of Plawecki is that the's a good defensive pitcher handler, who has played a role in bringing the staff along and anything he could with the bat is just a plus on top of that. Throwing out runners is mostly on the pitcher and our staff just isn't much good at that.

10-1 pretty damn good start. D'Arnaud to the DL hurts but gives the Mets a chance to see what's going on with the AAA catchers. He does get injured way too much.

I'm very happy overall with the season so far.

10-1 pretty damn good start. D'Arnaud to the DL hurts but gives the Mets a chance to see what's going on with the AAA catchers. He does get injured way too much.

I'm very happy overall with the season so far.

If you weren't very happy with the season so far, I wonder what it would take. :cool:

He is pitching for a contract I wouldn't be shocked if he had a big year.

I just don't think pitching for a contract is going to make his arm any healthier.

How about Wheeler though??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom