2018 NYSPHSAA Boys Lacrosse Championships | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2018 NYSPHSAA Boys Lacrosse Championships

Ward Melville FB live coverage stream!

WM - 10, WG - 2
2nd quarter

The guy streaming just said Messere made a player do 15 push-ups on the sideline for doing something wrong
Ouch. Sad to see them lose so badly

Very interesting. I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what Messere said but he probably should have kept his thoughts to himself. Tough tho after an embarrassing loss. Seems like the interviewer went out of his way to get some controversy going here.
Yeah better to just move on instead of "blast" your team(s) like that.
the three kids that got interviewed weren't happy and that obv showed and I'm pretty sure a lot of the other players weren't happy with it neither.
A lot of stuff here should've been kept in house and not said.

Wonder if any of the insiders heard anything about the dynamics of the team or anything else.

Retiring coach tells team playing in state final that they quit a long time ago.

Wow. I’m shocked by that WG post game article.

I have no connection to that program and what little I’ve heard stuns me that Messere made those comments.

Messere sounds right especially when you read the player comments. And then the all leave, total lack of respect. Howes is proud with the way they played ...they got lambasted. Kids today just no words. Starts with the parents though.

Messere sounds right especially when you read the player comments. And then the all leave, total lack of respect. Howes is proud with the way they played ...they got lambasted. Kids today just no words. Starts with the parents though.

Right or not it’s probably best to just keep it in house. Not sure what blasting the kids to the media accomplishes.

Right or not it’s probably best to just keep it in house. Not sure what blasting the kids to the media accomplishes.
I don't know. He has earned the right with 40 years of excellence. Probably could have worded it a little better but I'm sure he has had enough of meddling parents wanting to know why little Jimmy doesn't see the field enough etc.

Being sarcastic but perhaps LI parents raise their kids better since those kids obviously listen and follow instruction of their coaches. In all seriousness, have no clue about WG situation but sounds like an old school lame duck coach imposing old school ways but not getting the same reception. Perhaps the coach should have considered retiring years ago despite his success if he did not like the evolving environment. Most kids today are respectful when treated respectfully so I would not throw the baby out with the water. Having a kid do push ups on sidelines may appeal to some but Im an old man and found that to be an unnecessary spectacle to be frank. Thought his comments were in poor form and the kids comments when questioned about it were actually restrained. Understand that past players and generations may defend old ways but societies evolve for better or worse and some adapting is needed when dealing with others. Times are what reshapes norms for all ages and groups. Reality is that even in the pro ranks teams are hiring coaches who can relate better to players .Call them soft, self absorbed etc but this generation for all its perceived flaws also has some strengths .

In 30+ years of following Section 3 LAX, I have never seen WG on the wrong side of a running clock.

Especially in a state title game.

West Genesee superintendent defends lacrosse players against charge that they quit

"As Coach Mike Messere's legendary tenure comes to a close, I did want to comment about this season. First, we wish Coach Messere and Coach Deegan well in their retirement, and the process to secure replacements will begin right after graduation. As the Superintendent, you never know where your next challenge will come from, and one of those challenges came from the lacrosse season this year.

"When you have a legendary multi-generational coach, public opinion about 'how things should be,' really varies, and it can make for divisive conversations. It also puts kids in the middle. I have known our senior players since they were in second grade, and the underclassmen even longer. I know their character because I have watched them develop it. I have watched them succeed, fail, and learn for a long time. I was not there for the interview after the game because I did not have a field pass, but somewhere in that interview, the players were characterized as being quitters. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I strongly disagree.

"I think there was a disconnect for sure between the players and coaches, but the fact that the kids had every opportunity to say something negative when they had their time with the media and didn't, says a lot. It speaks to their character. They took the high road. They also had to endure the intense pressure of trying to win with the watchful eyes of prior generations on them constantly. No other group of kids will be asked to do that. They were given a challenge, accepted it, and showed their heart all season. I wish them the very best, and they have plenty to be proud of.''

Penn Yan players must have quit also or maybe it's simply downstate lax >upstate lax

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom