2019 All-ACC Team | Syracusefan.com

2019 All-ACC Team

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

First Team: Sterling Hofrichter (P)
Second Team: Andre Cisco (S), Trishton Jackson (WR)
Third Team: Andre Szmyt (PK), Lakiem Williams (LB)
Honorable Mention: Alton Robinson (DE)

Last edited:
Stating the obvious here but Sterling Hofrichter is going to be greatly next year.

I know punting is relatively low priority in recruiting but you'd think that with the Dome and with the recent history of successful Syracuse punters that Dino wouldn't be depending on a walk-on next year to handle punting.

That is a lot of teams and HM - is that standard for most leagues?

Can't believe Cisco was 2nd team. I must be watching a different sport.

But the press is good, and hopefully he has a refocused monster year in 2020.

Good for Lakiem. Ward wasn't bad at developing linebackers. Remember the monster year Guthrie had in 2018. I'm a big believer in the Peter Principle. I think both Lynch and Ward are victims of it.

Thinking Trill and Meli will each be in first team talks next year.

First Team: Sterling Hofrichter (P)
Second Team: Andre Cisco (S), Trishton Jackson (WR)
Third Team: Andre Szmyt (PK), Lakiem Williams (LB)
Honorable Mention: Alton Robinson (DE)

Both Surratt brothers made first team.

The ACC has a number of outstanding place kickers.

I would have honored Coleman over Robinson as well.

Can't believe Cisco was 2nd team. I must be watching a different sport.

But the press is good, and hopefully he has a refocused monster year in 2020.

65 tackles, 5 INT, 1 FF, 1 TD in 9 games. He was on pace to equal or best his 2018 production in which he played the entire season.

65 tackles, 5 INT, 1 FF, 1 TD in 9 games. He was on pace to equal or best his 2018 production in which he played the entire season.

I guess the stats look good, but being the free safety on a defense that gave up so many yards and points and big plays in the games he played seems counter-intuitive.

I don't mean to bash him, but he so often took bad angles and was just burned terribly in coverage. Was the risk-reward worth it?

He's still young, and learning, so I hope he becomes a better overall safety without losing the ball hawk skills.

I guess the stats look good, but being the free safety on a defense that gave up so many yards and points and big plays in the games he played seems counter-intuitive.

I don't mean to bash him, but he so often took bad angles and was just burned terribly in coverage. Was the risk-reward worth it?

He's still young, and learning, so I hope he becomes a better overall safety without losing the ball hawk skills.

Burned terribly? Safeties aren't supposed to check a man one on one. They're literally the last line of defense. Once someone is past the second level, it's a toss up. There's a lot of risk reward due to the offense's inability to score. Julian Whigham mentioned this on the podcast in the middle of the season. They're being asked to make plays because the other side of the ball can't. As a result, you are going to try to jump routes and strip the ball as opposed to putting on a form tackle, something of which he's good at.

Burned terribly? Safeties aren't supposed to check a man one on one. They're literally the last line of defense. Once someone is past the second level, it's a toss up. There's a lot of risk reward due to the offense's inability to score. Julian Whigham mentioned this on the podcast in the middle of the season. They're being asked to make plays because the other side of the ball can't. As a result, you are going to try to jump routes and strip the ball as opposed to putting on a form tackle, something of which he's good at.

This is our strategy? It sounds horrifying. Maybe we didn’t go far enough by just firing the DC.

But at least the ACC media recognizes and doesn’t punish us at award season.

Good for Lakiem. Ward wasn't bad at developing linebackers. Remember the monster year Guthrie had in 2018. I'm a big believer in the Peter Principle. I think both Lynch and Ward are victims of it.
I disagree completely. Ward wasn’t good at all developing guys. Guthrie was a good lb and once they went too the downhill style he improved cause that was his game. It was natural for him to do that and he played low to the ground and would dip and rip bye big oline guys and make plays. Did u see any of our guys do that this year. Actually I saw Williams a few times. He doesn’t teach good technique in my opinion.

Believe Ward was the coach who recruited Guthrie and Williams from jucos.

Anyone on the staff now with a history of recruiting from jucos? Asking because we could use help for the 2020 defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom