2019 Football Camp: Practice Day #13, Friday 8/16/2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Football Camp: Practice Day #13, Friday 8/16/2019

With all these o line banged up, seems like the defensive line is doing some damage

I'd be perfectly happy if Servais, Adams, Black, Ruff, Robinson and Coleman sat out the scrimmage.

I think they're rotating all the oline to see who can be ACC ready for NC State and who can help in the first two weeks. Clemson is the big fish but I think HCDB will hold off on starters if they aren't 100% and think they can be by NCST.

guys get hurt all the time.. but you can control some of what happens in practice more than you can in a game simulation.

I bet less injuries happen in scrimmages actually. Less reps comparably.
144 reps in the scrimmage. Maybe 30 minutes worth(guessing) in the other 5 or 6 practices? Cumulatively, you may be correct, but the scrimmage is non stop hitting.

144 reps in the scrimmage. Maybe 30 minutes worth(guessing) in the other 5 or 6 practices? Cumulatively, you may be correct, but the scrimmage is non stop hitting.
But not all the players are playing at the same time. I would think the coaches slant it more toward the players they have question marks about, not established starters.

guys get hurt all the time.. but you can control some of what happens in practice more than you can in a game simulation.
We have no way of knowing, but it doesn't sound like these are injuries where someone rolled up on a leg in the middle of a pile. They sound mostly like wear and tear injuries.

Do you think the coaches are dumb enough to put their known starters at risk unnecessarily? They're not holding scrimmages without reason. Also, with the absence of preseason games, scrimmaging is the only way to prep the team for continued game speed.

I think they're rotating all the oline to see who can be ACC ready for NC State and who can help in the first two weeks. Clemson is the big fish but I think HCDB will hold off on starters if they aren't 100% and think they can be by NCST.
Coaches don't think like that. You're ready, you play. You're not you won't. Dino has always said the medical staff clears people I don't.

Schrodinger’s scrimmage
EXACTLY.

Schrodinger’s-cat-walks-into-a-bar.jpg
Schrodinger’s-cat-walks-into-a-bar.jpg

the pros value scrimmages so much they barely play important guys 1 full game total over the whole preseason.. there are always guys you need to see compete and there are always some plays best seen in a real play environment.. but its all give and take.

the pros value scrimmages so much they barely play important guys 1 full game total over the whole preseason.. there are always guys you need to see compete and there are always some plays best seen in a real play environment.. but its all give and take.
Yeah, they're pros. They've done it in college for 3-5 years and participate alot in preseason stuff early in their careers. It's the veteran starters that have their participation limited. Even with all that, I believe it's pretty common for most of the starters to play a good chunk of the 3rd preseason game. Comparing college athletes to seasoned veteran professionals doesn't make sense.

you play guys when you want to learn things.. you dont play guys when you value them more than the learning.

if injuries are a concern you dont scrimmage.. the same reason you dont play a spring game if you are down in numbers.. if the coaches need to make decisions then they scrimmage if they dont then they wont becuase its value is less than the reward.

pros play the 3rd game because they need to be conditioned for the season for those that they know how they fit on the team

you play guys when you want to learn things.. you dont play guys when you value them more than the learning.

if injuries are a concern you dont scrimmage.. the same reason you dont play a spring game if you are down in numbers.. if the coaches need to make decisions then they scrimmage if they dont then they wont becuase its value is less than the reward.

pros play the 3rd game because they need to be conditioned for the season for those that they know how they fit on the team
Obviously the coaches aren't concerned about injuries and need to make decisions then, because they're scrimmaging.

You're talking about scrimmaging and injuries like you're part of the medical staff and that the coaches are going to tell the injured guys to suck it up and scrimmage through the pain. Do you have knowledge about the player's physical status that the coaches don't?

It's easy to think they will limit or maybe hold out the veteran players that are dinged up while taking a longer look at the younger guys they have questions about. They're a bunch of morons. That does not mean you cancel the scrimmage. It's the best way to see who is ready to contribute in a game.

With regards to the pros, those coaches have a lot more time to evaluate personnel with OTA's and more practices during a longer preseason. They also have less annual turnover, especially among starters. As I said before, comparing college to pro makes no sense.