2019 Masters | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Masters

If the top-5 are the only ones with a chance (based on historical results) to win, here's what I think a win will mean to their legacy:

T-5
Simpson: Lock HOF'er w/ 2 majors & a Players (That's kinda amazing to say. Would be similar to Kaymer w/ out the 2012 Ryder Cup kicker)
Poulter: Virtual Lock HOF'er w/ 1 major & stellar Ryder Cup record
4th
Koepka: Approaching legend status w/ 3 legs down and wins in 4 of last 7 major starts; Possibly moves to #1
T-2
Woods: 15th major; 81st win (1 back of Snead I believe); Might break the internet
Finau: Long-time coming; Hard to fathom he's one only 1 time (on a opposite field event in P.R. iirc); More raw talent than all but 4-5 guys perhaps
Molinari: Lock HOF'er: A career like Kaymer's but actually improving (2 majors, 1 WGC for each; Ryder Cup warriors, Players (Kaymer) vs. BMW (Molinari); Should move into top-4 in OWGR.
I've always been a big Tiger guy and obviously rooting for him to win but I will say that I never thought he was going to win another major. He has been through so much mentally and physically that it seemed impossible. Now it still might never happen, but except for the inconsistant flat stick, he is doing very well. Besides that I would be rooting for anyone but IJP.

I'm sure there are plenty of haters out there. Personally my frustration has never been with Tiger, he's phenomenal, but rather with certain parts of the media. ESPN is at the top of the list. There are so many great players out there that deserve praise and attention. But ESPN, and CBS to a lesser extent, is hellbent on All Tiger all the time.

One of the CBS analysts today made a remark with a sense of revelation about the incredible strength of the leader board. Hey honey, you see that in almost every major these days. The talent is out the wazoo on the tour.

The depth of talent is so good it's scary. In the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s etc... almost every "great player" (save Monty & perhaps Donald/Westwood) eventually got their major. Not so sure that will be the case with this generation.

I'm sure there are plenty of haters out there. Personally my frustration has never been with Tiger, he's phenomenal, but rather with certain parts of the media. ESPN is at the top of the list. There are so many great players out there that deserve praise and attention. But ESPN, and CBS to a lesser extent, is hellbent on All Tiger all the time.

One of the CBS analysts today made a remark with a sense of revelation about the incredible strength of the leader board. Hey honey, you see that in almost every major these days. The talent is out the wazoo on the tour.

There was plenty of comments about the great leaderboard yesterday, how there was 5 major champions tied for first , and they were asking when was the last time the top 5 were all major winners.

After yesterday it was a historically great leaderboard heading into the weekend (and Tiger helped it of course.

The Masters leaderboard is typically stronger (name wise) because they don't have the depth of field that the other majors have to get outsiders hanging around.

I have also noted that "harder" majors tend to have weaker leaderboards -- logically its the opposite of what is expected.

If the top-5 are the only ones with a chance (based on historical results) to win, here's what I think a win will mean to their legacy:

T-5
Simpson: Lock HOF'er w/ 2 majors & a Players (That's kinda amazing to say. Would be similar to Kaymer w/ out the 2012 Ryder Cup kicker)
4th
Koepka: Approaching legend status w/ 3 legs down and wins in 4 of last 7 major starts; Possibly moves to #1
T-2
Woods: 15th major; 81st win (1 back of Snead I believe); Might break the internet
Finau: Long-time coming; Hard to fathom he's one only 1 time (on a opposite field event in P.R. iirc); More raw talent than all but 4-5 guys perhaps
Molinari: Lock HOF'er: A career like Kaymer's but actually improving (2 majors, 1 WGC for each; Ryder Cup warriors, Players (Kaymer) vs. BMW (Molinari); Should move into top-4 in OWGR.

I don't know if the concept of "first eligible" HOF'er exists for the world golf hall of fame,

What hurts Webb is that he only has 5 career victories. Yes he has some great ones, but I think he needs to get some more victories ... I would suspect he will have to wait a while. I think (and could be wrong) that Mark OMeara had to wait a long time to get in the HOF and he also had 2 majors and more than 5 victories.

I saw Tony Finau play about 6 holes at my home course (as a junior) back on the Canadian Tour in 2013. The places he was putting the ball were just unbelievable.

Molinari likes moves to #3 with a win.. I think the only thing that would stop it looking quickly at the numbers would be if Koepka ended up in second or maybe third alone.

T-5
4th
T-2
Wouldn’t say Simpson is a lock.

I am really hoping Woods can pull this off... the problem being Molinari is sturdy as a rock... Won’t cramp at all I believe.

I was reading an article on the internet... it seems that the minimum standards for consideration into the hall of fame are

a) 15 wins on a significant tour (PGA our Europe), OR
b) 2 majors or Players

Webb does hit #2, so he can get considered, but I wonder if his being so far from criteria #1 will hurt him (as of now of course)

I don't know if the concept of "first eligible" HOF'er exists for the world golf hall of fame,

What hurts Webb is that he only has 5 career victories. Yes he has some great ones, but I think he needs to get some more victories ... I would suspect he will have to wait a while. I think (and could be wrong) that Mark OMeara had to wait a long time to get in the HOF and he also had 2 majors and more than 5 victories.

I saw Tony Finau play about 6 holes at my home course (as a junior) back on the Canadian Tour in 2013. The places he was putting the ball were just unbelievable.

Molinari likes moves to #3 with a win.. I think the only thing that would stop it looking quickly at the numbers would be if Koepka ended up in second or maybe third alone.

You have to be 50, that's probably why O'Meara waited. You need 15 wins OR 2 majors (Players counts as a 5th major). If Couples could get in with 1 major and 2 Players, I think 2 majors and 1 players gets the nod (once he's 50 or retired for 5 years of course).

There was plenty of comments about the great leaderboard yesterday, how there was 5 major champions tied for first , and they were asking when was the last time the top 5 were all major winners.

After yesterday it was a historically great leaderboard heading into the weekend (and Tiger helped it of course.

The Masters leaderboard is typically stronger (name wise) because they don't have the depth of field that the other majors have to get outsiders hanging around.

I have also noted that "harder" majors tend to have weaker leaderboards -- logically its the opposite of what is expected.

My point is that now there are so many great players that every major is very likely to have several studs at or near the top. This Masters is no exception. And it would be great if some of the media outlets woke up and realized it.

I don't think Tiger has ever come from behind starting the final round to win a major, right? I'd be surprised if Molinari let it happen today. He looks really solid.

These modern graphics for the Masters leaderboard are disappointing.
I always loved the fact they used the old cheesy 1980s graphics.
Atleast they kept the music.

Upper Canada?

Finally a Patrick Cantlay sighting on tv. I have him in a pool and he's been tearing it up - shot 64 yesterday and is already three under today. Wasn't sure he'd ever get a mention.

This isn’t the Masters, it’s Tiggers round and we all better be rotting for him or CBS will be mad.

This is ridiculous, fluck tigger.

This isn’t the Masters, it’s Tiggers round and we all better be rotting for him or CBS will be mad.

This is ridiculous, fluck tigger.

They have showed every shot of every one in the final group, and every Koepka shot, Not sure what you are expecting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom