2019 NIT Season Tip-Off | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 NIT Season Tip-Off

It’s not a great field right now but it satisfies the NYC alumni for a year we don’t have any other games near NYC.

Hopefully the 4th team is an elite team.

Yeah, gets us in NYC and gives us an opportunity to get two solid wins - regardless of how big of names the opponents are. We know they all should be quality teams. So if we go there and hopefully gets two W’s, that’s the important thing.

Certainly more exciting from a fan perspective when there’s a big name opponent that really moves the needle. That year when we beat UNC at MSG really got the SU fanbase fired up. That was a lot of fun.

It’s not a great field right now but it satisfies the NYC alumni for a year we don’t have any other games near NYC.

Hopefully the 4th team is an elite team.

I would be stunned if the 4th team is not an elite team, especially for an ESPN event. I love college basketball and even I find this field a bit uninspiring so far, although I don't know much about Oklahoma State and how good they might be. They made the tourney last year. It will be interesting to see how Boynton does there.

Yeah, gets us in NYC and gives us an opportunity to get two solid wins...
That's what we said this year.

It's important the Orange play in the city.
The many alumni want it and the team get a little more media attention out of it.
But one game a year isn't enough.

The Big East days had the Orange in the area for some combo of St.John's, Rutgers and Seton Hall...plus often a pre-season tournament and the BE tourney.
I know...those days are gone and maybe I'm spoiled.
But it seems to me an annual 4-team "Beast of the Northeast" event with SU, G-town, UConn and Nova or SJU would pack the place, get a lot of attention and be a lot of fun.

JB just won't travel for early season tourneys. Maui once every 10 years. Maybe. Not optimistic about the team next year if we lose Battle and Brissett so just as well.

We should've kept the series with Nova and dumped UConn 3 years ago.
The only Big East team we should schedule is Villanova. Especially for the recruiting presence in Philly. Playing UConn and Georgetown does nothing for us

Location...good. Those opponents don’t excite me at all though.

Let the 4th be Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, or UCLA please.

This is pretty much the same line i heard uttered about UConn, Iowa, and Oregon. That being said, agree re another higher end team rounding out the field.

FWIW- coming from NJ, wish it was at MSG. Barclays is a royal pain to get to.

This is pretty much the same line i heard uttered about UConn, Iowa, and Oregon. That being said, agree re another higher end team rounding out the field.

FWIW- coming from NJ, wish it was at MSG. Barclays is a royal pain to get to.

Not only a pain, but it’s hard with the game the night before Thanksgiving. A royal pain for me.

Boring. Let's raise the ante and get into a better, tougher tournament. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Barclays is a joke and needs to be avoided at all costs. MSG only. We had a great crowd this year for uconn.

That's what we said this year.

It's important the Orange play in the city.
The many alumni want it and the team get a little more media attention out of it.
But one game a year isn't enough.

The Big East days had the Orange in the area for some combo of St.John's, Rutgers and Seton Hall...plus often a pre-season tournament and the BE tourney.
I know...those days are gone and maybe I'm spoiled.
But it seems to me an annual 4-team "Beast of the Northeast" event with SU, G-town, UConn and Nova or SJU would pack the place, get a lot of attention and be a lot of fun.

What extra media attention do we get?

I'm sorry but stupid forced preseason NYC tourneys against teams like okla state, temple, or oregon are the most overrated thing in Syracuse basketball. and frankly we suck in them especially compared to our successes elsewhere.

a 4 team beast of the east is a good idea though.

Villanova is playing in some Myrtle Beach thing, w/ Memphis, Baylor also there.
Florida, Xavier, UConn - Charleston Classic
Duke, Georgetown, Texas, Cal in the Wounded Warrior
UCLA, Mich ST, Kansas in Maui
Michigan, Oregon, UNC, Gonzaga in Atlantis
Arizona in the Wooden
Washington in the Diamond Head

Looks like the best names remaining are Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa and...Kentucky

Here's the breakdown

Villanova is playing in some Myrtle Beach thing, w/ Memphis, Baylor also there.
Florida, Xavier, UConn - Charleston Classic
Duke, Georgetown, Texas, Cal in the Wounded Warrior
UCLA, Mich ST, Kansas in Maui
Michigan, Oregon, UNC, Gonzaga in Atlantis
Arizona in the Wooden
Washington in the Diamond Head

Looks like the best names remaining are Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa and...Kentucky

Here's the breakdown

With Ole Miss in the tournament that would remove fellow SEC team Kentucky from consideration.

The fourth “marquee” team probably won’t be from a major conference. Could be BYU, UNLV, San Diego State, Cincinnati, etc.

The fourth “marquee” team probably won’t be from a major conference. Could be BYU, UNLV, San Diego State, Cincinnati, etc.
Cincy, BYU, St. Joe's, Nevada, WKU, St. John's, Dayton, Wichita, Butler, Seton Hall, Temple, Marquette, Providence, VCU, Houston are all committed.

Big East teams still with an opening: Creighton, DePaul
I doubt UNLV or SDSU are going to be in an event at MSG.

I predict Indiana. They are by far the best option remaining.

Why is there no beer? There was beer at the tournament a few weeks ago in NYC

Why is there no beer? There was beer at the tournament a few weeks ago in NYC

The NIT is owned by the NCAA. They don’t allow beer at NIT and NCAA tournament games.

Kermit Davis has Ole Miss headed in a good direction this year, but can't say that's the most inspiring field I've ever seen. I'd like to think we can win that.

Why even bother playing in something with this field? I know our brand is as low as it's been, but is it really this bad? We haven't played in a Tourney with a marquee opponent in how long? UNC in 09-10?

I guess with UNC, Duke, UVa, Louisville (maybe more?) ahead of us in the pecking order for the top tourneys, we are getting pushed to those with mediocre fields.

Why even bother playing in something with this field? I know our brand is as low as it's been, but is it really this bad? We haven't played in a Tourney with a marquee opponent in how long? UNC in 09-10?

I guess with UNC, Duke, UVa, Louisville (maybe more?) ahead of us in the pecking order for the top tourneys, we are getting pushed to those with mediocre fields.

Because it's in NYC.

Didn't we just play Kansas last year?

You can’t play in the same tournament every year,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom