2019 Yankees Thread... | Page 123 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Yankees Thread...

Stanton did go down though and has only played 9 games. Tauchman has been a major player.

I was thinking before Tauchman went down that I'd prefer he stay in the starting lineup, even if it meant not activating Stanton. Tauchman deserved the spot. Hell, Maybin and Frazier both have contributed more than Stanton has. But that's $25M as a healthy scratch, and I'm sure glad I don't have to answer for that. I'm sure before any decision is made that way that Cashman and Steinbrenner both "sign off" on it.

I don't disagree there either, for all three of Gardy, LV and GS have already spent more time than enough on the IL. But that doesn't mean one can't see the potential dilemmas ahead. Take the starting rotation: if LS is ready to go, who sits? CC? That's a problem that's virtually happening right now.

Here's another angle: home field advantage will be very important in the playoffs (Check German's home/away stats :)) Does Boonie use the rest of the month to bring players back so they can get "up to speed" for the playoffs, or does he keep rolling with what he's got so there's no disruption to the team at this point?

And speaking of which, wasn't there a situation a few years ago when a player returned late from the IL, Joe dressed him and sat a player who made a solid contribution most of the year? I seem to recall some drama to that effect. Was it with Sheffield? View attachment 169718
I'm not sure how Severino will be deployed in the postseason, but it likely won't be as a traditional, give me as many innings as possible starter. Sabathia could be the odd man out, even if he returns and is capable of giving this team 90-100 pitches, as there are better options available, and your don't need a five (or even four) man rotation in these short series with travel days.

The whole home field thing is important, and I think they need to play it out and try to grab it. Unfortunately, Houston has the tiebreaker, so the Yanks will need to finish ahead of them.

I was thinking before Tauchman went down that I'd prefer he stay in the starting lineup, even if it meant not activating Stanton. Tauchman deserved the spot. Hell, Maybin and Frazier both have contributed more than Stanton has. But that's $25M as a healthy scratch, and I'm sure glad I don't have to answer for that. I'm sure before any decision is made that way that Cashman and Steinbrenner both "sign off" on it.

Yea, I’m worried about the lineup by salary mentality.

Yea, I’m worried about the lineup by salary mentality.

You and I - and all the other fans here - may not be, but I guarantee you somebody in the organization is. Nobody benches that much money with out support from upstairs.

If Stanton returns healthy and is productive, he's playing.

As much as some of these guys have stepped in and produced, I worry that the magic may wear off for some of them before the year is out, and they will regress to the mean when the money is on the line.

If Stanton is healthy, he starts; not because of his salary, but because of his 38.6 career WARP and a bunch of other offensive numbers.

If Stanton is healthy, he starts; not because of his salary, but because of his 38.6 career WARP and a bunch of other offensive numbers.

Would you have sat Tauchman for him? No offense, just asking.

And the ice in his veins from last year's playoff at bats.

Wait, sorry, not because of that.

Gio's defense not starting at 3rd in the playoffs would be lunacy.
If it is a warm fall, his empty swings may provide a welcome breeze to the spectators.

Love ya, Cow, but you seem to be confusing Mike Tauchman with Mike Trout.

If Stanton is healthy, then definitely. I think because of his build, people underrate Stanton's defense. For his career, he rates as a better than average defender. Tauchman is probably a better defender, but his best offensive year is equivalent to Stanton's worst.

Love ya, Cow, but you seem to be confusing Mike Tauchman with Mike Trout.

Ha! Good one! Just making conversation because it's raining and cold here. I've always been big on loyalty (not to imply anything untoward to anyone else here!). I was much impressed with the job Tauchman did this year and I'm really disappointed about what happened to him. But it's all academic now, either way. I realize in the playoffs it's all about winning, period. Nothing else matters. That's what we're all here for. :)

Ha! Good one! Just making conversation because it's raining and cold here. I've always been big on loyalty (not to imply anything untoward to anyone else here!). I was much impressed with the job Tauchman did this year and I'm really disappointed about what happened to him. But it's all academic now, either way. I realize in the playoffs it's all about winning, period. Nothing else matters. That's what we're all here for. :)
I was impressed, too. Tauchman had a great couple months at age 28, after doing little at the major league level previously, not unlike what Urshela has done at age 27. I'm just not ready to anoint these guys as lineup fixtures for the long term. Maybe they can become that, but it's possible this level of production will be fleeting and they will never approach it again. Guys like Frazier and Andujar, who are younger and reached the majors more quickly, would seem to be just scratching the surface of their potential and could become long term fixtures, and I'm hoping to see that happen in a Yankee uniform.

He’s played 9 games all year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom