2019 Yankees Thread... | Page 171 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Yankees Thread...

Also if teams call about Sanchez, Cashman should at least listen. It would still have to be a Godfather offer. Three years ago Cashman would have hung up the phone once the word Sanchez was uttered.

Also Chapman can opt out

You just know they will offer Gardner another year.
Give didi a qualifying offer.

Like Romine but he wants to play everyday.

Still have tauchman and Frazier to consider

Make Stanton everyday dh and buy out encarnacion.

Hope florial is ready to contribute

Hit the market for starting pitching
Lots of things to consider, but throwing tons of money at Cole should be the priority. If you can flip the best pitcher from Houston to NY, that is beyond huge.

Gardner - one year at the right price makes sense, but only if discount.

Encarnacion - let him go. To expensive and redundant

Didi - would love to see him stay. Lefty bat, great teammate, and was great in 2018. You could move DJ to 1st, trade Voit, and use Miggy as DH. Also gives you flexibility if anyone gets hurt, or Gio turns out to be a one year wonder. Gio at 3B improves the defense a ton.

Frazier - seems like his destiny is to be traded.

Chapman - if he goes, he goes. He's good but he also blew it in the ALCS

Romine - would like to keep him, and I'm not against trading Gary for the right price. His flaws will only become more pronounced as he ages

Starting lineup
C - Gary
IB - DJ
2B - Gleyber
SS - Didi
3B - Gio
OF - Stanton, Hicks, Judge
DH - Miggy

OF bench - Tauchman, Gardner (?), or Florial
IF bench - Ford (?), is Bird a lost cause?

SP
Severino
Tanaka
Happ ( I would ditch him but he's tied up)
Paxton
Free agent (assuming German is banished somewhere bad)
Have a couple young guys pushing for 5th spot, and you know people don't stay healthy

Bullpen
Try to keep the same as last year, and tell Ottovino he needs to do better in playoffs

I really think this missing piece is the ace, especially if we get Cole away from Houston. And don't leave as many runners on base this time

Lots of things to consider, but throwing tons of money at Cole should be the priority. If you can flip the best pitcher from Houston to NY, that is beyond huge.

Gardner - one year at the right price makes sense, but only if discount.

Encarnacion - let him go. To expensive and redundant

Didi - would love to see him stay. Lefty bat, great teammate, and was great in 2018. You could move DJ to 1st, trade Voit, and use Miggy as DH. Also gives you flexibility if anyone gets hurt, or Gio turns out to be a one year wonder. Gio at 3B improves the defense a ton.

Frazier - seems like his destiny is to be traded.

Chapman - if he goes, he goes. He's good but he also blew it in the ALCS

Romine - would like to keep him, and I'm not against trading Gary for the right price. His flaws will only become more pronounced as he ages

Starting lineup
C - Gary
IB - DJ
2B - Gleyber
SS - Didi
3B - Gio
OF - Stanton, Hicks, Judge
DH - Miggy

OF bench - Tauchman, Gardner (?), or Florial
IF bench - Ford (?), is Bird a lost cause?

SP
Severino
Tanaka
Happ ( I would ditch him but he's tied up)
Paxton
Free agent (assuming German is banished somewhere bad)
Have a couple young guys pushing for 5th spot, and you know people don't stay healthy

Bullpen
Try to keep the same as last year, and tell Ottovino he needs to do better in playoffs

I really think this missing piece is the ace, especially if we get Cole away from Houston. And don't leave as many runners on base this time

Good analysis.

Also, I wonder if Stanton could play first base. It would be less strain on his often-injured legs.

Good analysis.

Also, I wonder if Stanton could play first base. It would be less strain on his often-injured legs.
Good question. He is definitely a liability in LF. Problem is we may have too many people on the long term path to DH (Stanton, Gary, etc.).

16.jpg

Florial wont be close to ready next year, esp to start the season, but expect there to be someone in the OF mix we haven't heard of yet or maybe Andujar if Gardy goes gone. Gardy will prob be back.

I anticipate one of Cash's "at our number" offers that will fail to land Cole in conjunction with a ninja trade to land another "very good" starter with upside. Frazier, Ford and some young pitching probably move out in return. hope whoever we get is more Paxton than Sonny. maybe sign Wheeler or MadBum is the price isn't ridiculous.

big questions in the BP, which even as loaded as it was for us was still 2-3 arms short st the end of the day. I'm reading the Chapman will opt out and I don't think he returns which means we need a closer. If you move Brittian to that role, the bullpen is pretty bare. Do you bring back Betances at big numbers after a lost year? Can you trust Otto? Greene will prob have some aftereffects of how he was used this year so while I 100% love the guy, cant 100% trust him for next year. Kahnle is the only high leverage BP arm I really "trust" at the moment. Cash has to go hunting for at least 3 high quality BP arms this off season, with another lefty thrown in there.

He is not. All of the metrics show him as an above average defender for his career.
I stand corrected on the stats, my fault. Liability is too strong a word there. I was going more off how he looked in the playoffs, which was bad coming off the injury

He may have been an above average defender in RF, but he has a very small sample size in left, a little more than 4% of his total defensive innings and all were in NY. Most of that value is tied up in 2018 where was +4 DRS and -1 this season in only 60 innings. Available defensive stats are terribly imprecise and get less accurate with smaller sample sizes. Typically, they should be relied on with 1-2 seasons or more. Stanton had +49 DRS over his entire career in RF, which is about 1,000 games. Based on that rate, an expected DRS rate in LF could be similar, which works out to be +1.7. Instead, he has +3 DRS, so nearly double the value, mostly from ~30 games in 2018.

I suspect that he's probably a little less than average at best in left, right now, and his injuries are only going to slow him down more. That contract is going to be an albatross going forward for the austerity minded Yankees. They'll have a between a 1/5 and 1/4 of their payroll tied up in Ellsbury and Stanton next season.

The Yankees will nearly certainly re-sign Gardner and Stanton will play mostly DH, while rotating in and out of the OF as needed. The decision will be between Frazier and Tauchman.

I can't believe Ellsbury is 36 years old.
I can't believe the Yankees ever thought that contract was a good idea.

So Francisco Lindor as a trade candidate, what kind of package are folks OK with?
Trade Andujar, Frazier, Florial, German for Lindor?

I can't believe the Yankees ever thought that contract was a good idea.

So Francisco Lindor as a trade candidate, what kind of package are folks OK with?
Trade Andujar, Frazier, Florial, German for Lindor?
I wouldn't.

We really only need pitching. Just focus on that.

Well, Cole's price just came down after last night's performance. :rolleyes:

I hope he gets beaten at least once more in this series, reducing his cost even further. We should then sign him just so we don’t have to face him in the post season next year. If the signing actually works out and he wins games for us it would just be gravy.

Last edited:
I believe Smoltz bascically said thatChapman should not throw the pitch that Chapman threw before Chapman threw that hr pitch. He said it would be better even to walk him cause the next batter was terrible

Well, Cole's price just came down after last night's performance. :rolleyes:

Beating both Cole and Verlander is a near historic takedown. It's my guess the entire team is suffering from a post Yankee letdown. Bregman played ground balls like he was wearing snow shoes. Seriously, they were so amped up to beat NYY they had nothing left. Might be different in DC, but it also might be too late.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom