2020 Breakout Candidates | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Breakout Candidates

With the closing speed he displayed in the one game I recall, on defense my vote goes to young Mr. Tuazama. He is fast, and seems to have a bit of a mean streak. Oh, and by the way, he was dressed Saturday, was pacing back and forth throughout, and was very tuned in to the defensive coaching throughout the game.

Tuned in, talented and hungry works for me.

IMG_20191130_125649.jpg

With the closing speed he displayed in the one game I recall, on defense my vote goes to young Mr. Tuazama. He is fast, and seems to have a bit of a mean streak. Oh, and by the way, he was dressed Saturday, was pacing back and forth throughout, and was very tuned in to the defensive coaching throughout the game.

Tuned in, talented and hungry works for me.
Thats a big man

Certainly agree Jordan has another gear we have not seen in a while here. I think you need a creative OC to find ways to get him the rock because when you look at him, at 5’9” 167 pounds that is not an every down back build. Run him on sweeps, reverses, screens and maybe counters and he can get you some chunk gains and tds.

Agree 144%.

Kid could be our version of Tavon Austin, just play him anywhere and everywhere, and get him the ball in space in a variety of ways, where he can use his ‘cuts on dime’ talents to break opponents ankles and hearts.

For true break out (role player/non-existent/non-starter to star)...I'm going with (a

O:
Jordan (plus special teams)
Benson (saw a glimpse - I wonder if his speed size translate better to outside receiver)
Jackson/Hendrix (heard a lot about both...really hope Hendrix comes back...a bit of a guess on this one)

D:
Richards (please get this guy on the field)
Tauzama
Jonathan (already a contributor, but still a non-starter)
HM: Nunn, Jonas, ...please a few more on D :|

BTW, I love this post...gets me pumped for 2020! Can we now have an "impact true freshman" thread? :)

I just want the OL and DL to have good years and the rest will follow.

Jordan, and Benson become great WR to go with T Jackson and Harris.
Iffy and Trill become great lockdown corners. No more 10 yards off line of scrimmage. Every time they did that Saturday it was a complete pass.

Jordan, Jordan and Jordan on O.
88, 13, and 23 on D.
(Jackson one of ACC leading recievers so not a breakout player)
Like Benson and Hackett but will we throw to tight ends frequently, The run blocking by the Oline the last three weeks was very encouraging for next year.

Offense: Jordan, Adams, Benson-Not sure why anyone would want to move Benson to WR. That takes away what makes him special.
Defense: Jonathan, Jones, Trill
Would love to see Richards and Cantin-Arku, our freak athletes on D, break out

I agree Adams has allot of talent, is better catching the rock and he is that “quick twitch” guy but here is the thing, he has only one nice run I can remember this season. Howard has a number of runs I remember and I am pretty sure he was second behind Moe in longest runs from scrimmage. I don’t think this needs to be an either/or discussion but I can say I see Howard getting plenty of touches next year and I would be fine with that.
I don't think we really got to see all of what Adams had to offer this year. I saw more than one good run, one may have been swing pass, and that was when the oline was at their worst. I wish we could've seen him in this last game when we were actually getting some push. I think he has more power and wiggle than Moe with at least as much speed. I think he is an every down type of guy that will team up great with Howard and with Jordan playing the swiss army knife role (the Taveon Austin reference above is exactly what I was thinking).

Certainly agree Jordan has another gear we have not seen in a while here. I think you need a creative OC to find ways to get him the rock because when you look at him, at 5’9” 167 pounds that is not an every down back build. Run him on sweeps, reverses, screens and maybe counters and he can get you some chunk gains and tds.
Double reverse toss back

He should be our “utility knife” guy. Slot, double back sets, RB, WR. Idc, get him on the field. If he is not starting somewhere next season then I will be very perplexed, he needs to be in the game!

I think Jordan is also more physical than his measureables make you think he is. There was that run against Duke where he ran through a couple tackles. He won't run someone over like Howard, but I think he has enough speed and shiftiness to throw a defender off balance and then run through arm tackles.

Edit: that run reminded of Warrick Dunn.

Last edited:
On offense I definitely have to start with Jordan - he has another gear that most guys do not. Bergeron started and the line became a lot better. I know the move of Vet & Servais helped, but he was the 1 new guy and it seemed to make a difference. I also expect Benson to have a big year. Give him more chances to make plays.

Defensively - Mikel Jones - someone has to make tackles. He seems like he can be a leader, and he'll need to with a new LB'ing core. I'll go with Jonathan and Tuazama as my other 2. They'll be the force that Robinson/Coleman were in 2018, or so I can hope!