2020 PGA Tour... | Syracusefan.com

2020 PGA Tour...

Both were getting annoying, and limiting the broadcast.
McCord thought was really good for quite a long time.

I have been watching quite a bit of the season.

It's easier for me follow the PGA tour at this time of year then hard American fans, merely because I have about a half dozen journeyman (the Canadians) that I follow closely.

Good to see a few quality events with OWGR's over 50 over the past week and the next 2 weeks. however.

Beyond the Tiger pick, it will be interesting to see who are the other 3 alternates on the US.
Dustin Johnson
Koepka
Schauffele
Cantlay
Thomas
Kuchar
Simpson
Dechambeau

Options for Alternates Listed based on World Rankings
Finau
Woodland
Reed
Fowler
Na
Reavie
Kisner
Horschel
Watson
Speith

Everyone below Fowler has no shot. I think it comes down to 3 of 4 -- Finau, Woodland, Reed, Fowler.
- Woodland is a highly respected person in the tour and I think they will want to give him the chance to play in a team competition.

Who gets left out amongst Reed, Fowler and Finau.

I think Spieth has no shot. He was not one of the 18 invited to a team meeting in August. He is 40th in the world, and has not played well this year.

Beyond the Tiger pick, it will be interesting to see who are the other 3 alternates on the US.
Dustin Johnson
Koepka
Schauffele
Cantlay
Thomas
Kuchar
Simpson
Dechambeau

Options for Alternates Listed based on World Rankings
Finau
Woodland
Reed
Fowler
Na
Reavie
Kisner
Horschel
Watson
Speith

Everyone below Fowler has no shot. I think it comes down to 3 of 4 -- Finau, Woodland, Reed, Fowler.
- Woodland is a highly respected person in the tour and I think they will want to give him the chance to play in a team competition.

Who gets left out amongst Reed, Fowler and Finau.

I think Spieth has no shot. He was not one of the 18 invited to a team meeting in August. He is 40th in the world, and has not played well this year.
I think Kevin Na could be awesome in a team format but I think you’re right about how low he is

Brendon Todd is turning into a heck of a story. He has won two weeks in a row on the PGA tour (even if they are lower field quality) and could win his third week in a row this week as he is right near the lead.

Entering this year from 2016-2018 he had played 41 events... and missed the cut 37 times. He entered 2019 ranked #2012 in the world

Not sure how he qualified to play 11 events this past year (ending Aug 2019) on the PGA (medical? or past champion). He had modest results - 7 made cuts, and four finishes between 18th and 25th in modest events. It was far from what was needed to retain his card. But it was enough for him to get into the Web.Com playoffs with a chance to keep his PGA card. And by finishing 2nd in one of the 4 play-off events he got his card for this season.

And it seemed to be the same old as this year started.
4 missed cuts to start this year.
Then one 28th place finish, which moved him up to #522 in the world.

And starting at #522 in the world, he may ring up 3 consecutive victories, that will move him right near the #50 spot in the world.

As I was posting the above Todd had moved to within 2 shots of the lead and was at -12.

He finished today with a 62, and is now at -18, and leads by two.

If they had to choose an extra member for the President's Cup team tomorrow, it could be argued he would deserve it.

Dustin Johnson has not played since the playoffs.
11 of the 12 US Presidents Cup team members played in the Hero World Challenge this weekend.

Dustin Johnson will be back next week for the President's Cup.
It seems possible his time away may have been a forced vacation based on past issues (PGA does not publish suspensions)

i thought he was coming off a minor injury?

Good point... I googled and saw his minor surgery.
Then again his first suspension was covered up by an injury.

But I am going to assume the injury is totally legit. Ir is fairly odd that he decided not to play this past weekend, in a fairly stress free environment. If he couldn't go this weekend, he should be withdrawing for injury reasons..

Si Woo Kim has 'hit the cycle' with a bogey, double, triple, and quad on the front nine at the Amex tournament.

BTW, never like Gary McCord, surprised that it took this long to let him go.

Tiger starts next week at Torrey Pines, then in three weeks after that at Riviera.

Some interesting story lines this year for some of the games biggest players.

Phil - Will he bounce back a bit, or is he headed to the Champions Tour sooner rather than later? He has fell all the way to world #79, He actually started 2019 well but since his 18th place finish at the Masters, his best finish is 28th, and in a full field event he has not finished higher than 48th. That is not good. The good is he is probably the best 50 year old golfer the tour has seen in a long time.

Jordan Speith - He has fell all the way to #43. He has had a few OK performances since the last major, but still nothing better than 6th, and two top 10 performances in 8 tournaments? Will he become an elite top 5 player in the world who is a force in majors ever> It will be tough because there are many players that have more talent, and his grinding which may have been the best in the world was based on a likely unsustainable level of success on mid to longer putts. He will recover, but I think his career may have peaked, and he may not reach that elite peak level again.

Tiger Woods - One of the interesting things to track for him this year will be the 2020 Olympics -- to qualify he will need to be a top 4 US player in the world golf rankings in six months time. Currently he is #5 in the US. It will be tough. He doesn't play many tournaments which could hurt him.

Tiger actually struggled last year after the Masters, had an injury tweak, and now is body seems fine (for now). He did however win in November, finished 4th in a strong 18 man field, and was one of the players at the Presidents Cup. Will be interesting to see if he can sustain this recent level so that he is a real threat at the majors... or not.

Finally Brooks Koepka - His success at the majors the last 3 years is truly amazing, Since Jack, the only other player that had a similar run over 10 majors of wins / top 3 finishes was Tiger Woods around 2000/2001.

Can't wait for the Masters and the other majors.

The Koepka vs. Douche-ambeau feud is getting good. Part of me thinks they’re in cahoots on the whole thing. This tweet was savage yesterday

Last edited:
A few random thoughts:

Got to think (hope) that Spieth bounces back. Needs to get his putting stroke back consistently.

Some people despise Tiger, some like him. I like him. Hope he has a good season and stays healthy.

Would really like to see Ricky Fowler win a major this year (his first)! Seems like he is often in contention (in any PGA tournament), then falls off in the last round or 2. Needs to finish stronger and keep being the great putter that he normally is.

There are some fresh, young, really good players coming along just to add to the competition.

Enjoyed watching the playoff between Justin Thomas (from the Ville like me) and Patrick Reed during the Sentry Touranment of Champions in Maui earlier this month. Great finish.

Should be another great Masters. Can't wait.

There are some fresh, young, really good players coming along just to add to the competition.

The graduating college class had as much success as any in their first 3 or 4 months on tour -- Wolff, Murikawa, Hovland. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

The Koepka vs. Douche-ambeau feud is getting good. Part of me thinks they’re in cahoots on the whole thing. This tweet was savage yesterday

Was unaware of this. Good stuff.

Not sure why Bryson is do proud of his bulked up physique. It clearly has not helped him on the golf course -- he missed the cut today by 6 shots in Dubai.

Last edited:
Strong field this week at Torrey Pines with 5 of the top 10 in the world.

Mcilroy
Rahm
Woods
Rose
Schauffele

If Rory wins he will become #1 in the world, for the first time since July 2015. Almost 5 years.

Tiger tees off at 12:40 today eastern time.
I do like these fields where everybody tees off over a 2 hour period (2 courses, both tees). Don't like events where one half of the draw sometimes gets a big weather advantage in the first 2 rounds.

Tiger tees off at 12:40 today eastern time.
I do like these fields where everybody tees off over a 2 hour period (2 courses, both tees). Don't like events where one half of the draw sometimes gets a big weather advantage in the first 2 rounds.
Bad first two holes. Good news he striped the new SIM on both holes.

Tiger's 69 yesterday was on the easier course of the two this week. Nearly a 3 shot difference between the north course and the much harder south course he plays today.

Tiger started with a double on the first hole. Still in 52nd, so inside the cut line

I suspect that he will make the Cut, and perhaps well inside it, but it is something to follow this afternoon after his start.

Tiger's 69 yesterday was on the easier course of the two this week. Nearly a 3 shot difference between the north course and the much harder south course he plays today.

Tiger started with a double on the first hole. Still in 52nd, so inside the cut line

I suspect that he will make the Cut, and perhaps well inside it, but it is something to follow this afternoon after his start.

He’s been -4 since that double bogey and is -5 and in 10th. In good shape.

He’s been -4 since that double bogey and is -5 and in 10th. In good shape.

I was just coming here to post that. -2 on the South Course is a good score.

With Woods, McIlroy, and Rahm all in contention, would like to see a Sunday showdown involving 2 of the 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom