2020 Schedule Building Thoughts

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Ok the known:

• 09/12 - at Rutgers
  • 10/17 - Liberty
We host Georgia Tech along with Florida State, Louisville, and NC State
We play at Pitt, Wake Forest, BC and Clemson
All the ACC dates will be released in January 2020.

This late in the cycle and Syracuse doesn't have an opening weekend date set suggests that the ACC is going to plug in a conference game there.

However, if they don't here are some teams available ranked ordered by me for 9/05 and my opinions:

1. Akron (also available 9/26) Pros: easy drive and close to NE Ohio recruits Cons: None I can see
2. FIU (also available 9/19) Pros: Should be a victory and close to recruits Cons: Small Stadium and Hurricane season
3. Air Force (also available 9/26) Pros: Should count as a P5, unique setting Cons: Distance and possible loss
4. Coastal Carolina Pros: Should be a victory and in a state we like to recruit now Cons: Small stadium
5. Western Michigan (also available 9/26) Pros: Kinda close to MW recruiting areas, nice area to visit Cons: Possible upset
6. Troy (also available 9/26) Pros: Kinda close to FL n GA recruiting and alumni Cons: kinda remote and a chance of an upset
7. Ball State Pros: Easy win and somewhat close to Midwest recruiting areas Cons; Small stadium and not easy to get to
NM St (not considered for an away game)
UL Monroe (not considered for an away game)
Troy (not considered for an away game)

Misc: Toledo available 9/26 (but are their panties still in a bunch with the blown XP call?)

I wouldn’t mind a season opening home game on the ACC Network against Georgia Tech.
They will only be in year 2 of their coach’s regime and he won’t have the personal yet to run what he wants with the roster being 3/4s recruited by Paul Johnson’s option attack and either new freshman/sophomore players.

Give me Georgia Tech week 1 if possible.
9-4-20 Georgia Tech
9-12-20 @ Rutgers
9-19-20 D-1 AA tomato can
9-26-20 MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt team
Conference play till Liberty week. Prefer playing Liberty the week before either Florida State or Clemson to allow for rest in the 2nd half.

Alsacs...2020 is the season of the roof replacement. There is a 99.5% chance we open on the road the first two weeks.

If we are on the road Boston College has an opening week 1.
Open the 2020 in Boston on Labor Day weekend.
If MLB would schedule Yanks at Sox that weekend we could get a daily double.

At BC 9-4-20
At Rutgers 9-12-20
Bye week
Tomato can home game 1
Tomato can hone game 2

By playing in Boston week 1 our fans could make that into a de facto neutral site game.

I looked at BC...that would make great sense from our perspective but it looks like the ACC wants to put that game later...we'll see. The ACC Network is breaking some rules in game placements.

@BC>@Wake in Week One for 2020 for the reasons you stated.

Edit: Alsacs...you are correct I made a mistake there on Wake being available in Week One

Last edited:
I looked at BC...that would make great sense from our perspective but it looks like the ACC wants to put that game later...we'll see. The ACC Network is breaking some rules in game placements.

@BC>@Wake in Week One for 2020 for the reasons you stated.
Wake has a game at Old Dominion week 1.
BC is open week 1 now they need
A conference game as there 4 non conference games are scheduled after week 1.

Old BE schools and new AAC schools I'd like to play

UConn (due to easy wins and close road trip)
Rutgers (see above)
Both above have the most obnoxious fans around and victories are always nice

Cincy (wouldn't mind a home n home sometime in the next 5-10 years)
USF (recruiting and lots of fans in FL)
UCF (see above)
WVU (maybe in 5-10 years for a home n home (but I'd rather beat them in a bowl game LOL)
Memphis (sometime in the future for a home n home for a trip to Beale St)
Tulane (Yes please, great road trip)
Navy goes without saying but their OOC schedule is filled with USAF, Army and Notre Dame every season

Last edited:
Would love a game in Cincy but that’s not an easy or guaranteed win. Personally a game in the Midwest would be awesome for me but also for our recruiting efforts there.

I figured if these schools already scheduled two OOC away games they would prefer to host. I looked at the Indies, American, CUSA , Sun Belt and MAC so far. I left out the MWC for now...

9/19 week teams available
Tulsa (probably like to host)
SMU (probably like to host)
Old Dominion (already playing 3 ACC schools)
FIU (probably like to host)
Southern Miss (probably like to host)
LaTech (probably like to host)
UTSA (probably like to host)
Louisiana (SWLa) (probably like to host)
Coastal Carolina (probably like to host) However, I think we could convince them to travel to Cuse
Ga State (probably like to host) However, I think we could convince them to travel to Cuse
ULM (probably like to host) However, I think we could convince them to travel to Cuse

9/26 week teams available
UCF (already playing 2 ACC teams)
SMU (probably like to host)
LaTech (probably like to host)
Akron (open to host or away)
Toledo (probably like to host)
WMU (probably like to host)
Louisiana (SWLa) (probably like to host)
Troy (open to host or away)

USF needs a 4th game in Oct or Nov

I did some analysis for late September. If we open the new Dome on 9/19 do we want an ACC team, G% team or FCS?

I think is is a no brainer to try to get a 2 for 1 contract on Sept 26 and host Akron or Troy as a back up)

UCF would be a intriguing game cause of how good they been the lAst couple years I would just love to shut them up very early in the year

Coastal Carolina would be a great road game with oceanfront lodging in North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach !!
I agree...I know they seat 15K right now. I think it should go to 20K shortly. They would definitely fall into a 2 for 1 deal. Not a bad location for Cuse fans to travel to once. We'd have to negotiate a hold back of at least 1000 tickets.

Why in 5-10 years? We have beat them 4 straight times, the last 3 of which were beatdowns by us.

Basically fit them in down the road when they would be the one designated P5 school on our OOC portion of the schedule. I figure it would be 5+ years out. I would be cool with a H/H...but it is more fun beating them in Bowl games.

I agree...I know they seat 15K right now. I think it should go to 20K shortly. They would definitely fall into a 2 for 1 deal. Not a bad location for Cuse fans to travel to once. We'd have to negotiate a hold back of at least 1000 tickets.

Here is a story from the Myrtle Beach newspaper.

“Coastal Carolina University’s Brooks Stadium on the Conway campus is the proposed host of the bowl game, McMurphy told The Sun News on Monday. The stadium expanded to 15,000 seats for the 2017 season and is expected to increase its seating capacity to more than 20,000 for the 2018 season.”

Boy do I wish we could schedule something soon with FAU. They have a great little stadium basically next to the beach. $5 beers inside. Plus: Lane.
And direct JetBlue flights from Syracuse to Fort Lauderdale.

9/26 @WMU
I could see that. I am guessing that it was no accident Liberty was scheduled in October. I don't think we want to play a home game in the Dome in September of 2020. If we play a game on 9/26, it will be on the road.

I really hope we do not have a bye in September. A bye that early is pretty much useless and might do more harm than good.

If we don't play at home in September and the AC isn't ready it wouldn't be as huge an issue.

Bees how confident are you about WMU on 9/26?

If we don't play at home in September and the AC isn't ready it wouldn't be as huge an issue.

Bees how confident are you about WMU on 9/26?

99%

Which begs the question? Could the first home game be the first Saturday of October?

don't know. that 9/5 game depends on reno sked right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom