2021 NASCAR | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NASCAR

I'd like them, (or Indycar or Formula One) to experiment with a different format.

I don't like the fact that races are more about attrition than racing.
I don't like "the pack" where much of the field parades around at 200MPH and nobody can make a move. If anyone does, the likely result will be an accident that takes a dozen cars out.
Trying to get around lapped cars ads an unnecessary element of difficulty and danger.
I don't like races that end in caution flags.

Use qualifying to pair it down to a field of 32. Seed those 32 drivers and have a tournament consisting of 5 lap match races. No packs, just two drivers trying to pass each other to finish first so they can move on. If there's an accident, a car that's out of that race is out of the event. If the other driver caused the accident, he's DQ'd. No pit stops. No tire or fuel strategy. No caution flags. Clean up between the races. If all races are completed, there would be 155 laps, (16 five lap races followed by 8 five lap races, followed by 4 five lap races, followed by two five laps races followed by a championship five lap race): a full day's entertainment. The drivers do a lot less driving so they are safer. The cars take less ware and tear. Less pollution goes into the atmosphere.

They could do it as a preliminary to the main race., on one Saturday, one on Sunday.
I think it would be a hit.
Sounds awful

What don't you like about it?
If I’m understanding you correctly you want only 2 cars on the track at the same time going 1 on 1? And only that?

That’s not racing.

I'd like them, (or Indycar or Formula One) to experiment with a different format.

I don't like the fact that races are more about attrition than racing.
I don't like "the pack" where much of the field parades around at 200MPH and nobody can make a move. If anyone does, the likely result will be an accident that takes a dozen cars out.
Trying to get around lapped cars ads an unnecessary element of difficulty and danger.
I don't like races that end in caution flags.

Use qualifying to pair it down to a field of 32. Seed those 32 drivers and have a tournament consisting of 5 lap match races. No packs, just two drivers trying to pass each other to finish first so they can move on. If there's an accident, a car that's out of that race is out of the event. If the other driver caused the accident, he's DQ'd. No pit stops. No tire or fuel strategy. No caution flags. Clean up between the races. If all races are completed, there would be 155 laps, (16 five lap races followed by 8 five lap races, followed by 4 five lap races, followed by two five laps races followed by a championship five lap race): a full day's entertainment. The drivers do a lot less driving so they are safer. The cars take less ware and tear. Less pollution goes into the atmosphere.

They could do it as a preliminary to the main race., on one Saturday, one on Sunday.
I think it would be a hit.

They do that now.

It's called "drag racing".

But they run 1/4 mile at a time.

If I’m understanding you correctly you want only 2 cars on the track at the same time going 1 on 1? And only that?

That’s not racing.

That would be nothing but racing, without out the packs, the caution flags, the fuel and tire strategies - just beat the other guy to the finish line.
They do that now.

It's called "drag racing".

But they run 1/4 mile at a time.

This would be for five laps so it be more than just a drag race. it would be two drivers passing each other trying to get to the finish line first.

That would be nothing but racing, without out the packs, the caution flags, the fuel and tire strategies - just beat the other guy to the finish line.

This would be for five laps so it be more than just a drag race. it would be two drivers passing each other trying to get to the finish line first.
Why would you want to watch car 32 go one on one with car 1, car 31 vs 2, etc?... There would be no doubt about the outcome whatsoever.

There’s nothing entertaining about your proposal until we get to the point where 10 or so cars are left... and it’s not that many laps from what you proposal indicates. The amount of time at the edge of your seat would be severely diminished from the way it stands now.

In your earlier post you said that there is no passing with packs of cars. There is plenty of passing going on. Virtually at every moment of the race on Sunday there was passing.

I’m no big proponent of restrictor plate racing - which is what keeps the cars bunched up - but unfortunately NASCAR prefers to reduce speeds for safety concerns. Imo it creates A LOT more crashes because of the bunching and the non stop bump drafting.

Remove the restrictor plates and I think we’d see the racing that we want.

Last edited:
Pack racing only occurs at 2 tracks and without question ends up producing the most exciting finishes of the year. They've made enough changes to ruin the sport already. Having a playoff in racing is an abomination. Stage racing is laughable. They keep making changes to appeal to some theoretical fan that they think they are going to entice and instead just keep making it worse for the actual fans.

Pack racing only occurs at 2 tracks and without question ends up producing the most exciting finishes of the year. They've made enough changes to ruin the sport already. Having a playoff in racing is an abomination. Stage racing is laughable. They keep making changes to appeal to some theoretical fan that they think they are going to entice and instead just keep making it worse for the actual fans.
I’m fine w stage racing for extra purse money for the drivers but factoring it into points is no good and stopping the race arbitrarily like that is infuriating to me. Totally messes with the flow of a race. It changes the sport too much.

Have the stages but don’t stop the race.

Playoffs are tragic really. Cheapens the championships. Ruins generational comparisons. I just hate it.

Ive said before, if they want to change from the original points system then just have the # of wins be a trump card and have everything else sorted out by original points system. I don’t have a problem crowning the guy who won the most races, even if he didn’t accumulate the most points over the season. At least the wins were accumulated over 10 months.

But for there to be such overwhelming weight placed on a few arbitrary/shitty venues just because they happen to be on the calendar toward the end of the season is an abomination, like you said.

Why would you want to watch car 32 go one on one with car 1, car 31 vs 2, etc?... There would be no doubt about the outcome whatsoever.

There’s nothing entertaining about your proposal until we get to the point where 10 or so cars are left... and it’s not that many laps from what you proposal indicates. The amount of time at the edge of your seat would be severely diminished from the way it stands now.

In your earlier post you said that there is no passing with packs of cars. There is plenty of passing going on. Virtually at every moment of the race on Sunday there was passing.

I’m no big proponent of restrictor plate racing - which is what keeps the cars bunched up - but unfortunately NASCAR prefers to reduce speeds for safety concerns. Imo it creates A LOT more crashes because of the bunching and the non stop bump drafting.

Remove the restrictor plates and I think we’d see the racing that we want.

I think 5 laps would not allow one car to put the other too far in their rear view mirror. I think a lot of those 5 lap races would look like this:

That to me is RACING!

Last edited:

That first accident Sunday occurred with cars three abreast and a dozen rows back according to the commentators.

I’m fine w stage racing for extra purse money for the drivers but factoring it into points is no good and stopping the race arbitrarily like that is infuriating to me. Totally messes with the flow of a race. It changes the sport too much.

Have the stages but don’t stop the race.

Playoffs are tragic really. Cheapens the championships. Ruins generational comparisons. I just hate it.

Ive said before, if they want to change from the original points system then just have the # of wins be a trump card and have everything else sorted out by original points system. I don’t have a problem crowning the guy who won the most races, even if he didn’t accumulate the most points over the season. At least the wins were accumulated over 10 months.

But for there to be such overwhelming weight placed on a few arbitrary/shitty venues just because they happen to be on the calendar toward the end of the season is an abomination, like you said.
Last year is a truly perfect example. Everyone with a brain knows that it 2020 was Harvick vs. Hamlin all year long. They absolutely dominated everyone else. Harvick won 9 and Hamlin 7. That's 16 out of 36 races including 13 of 26 to start. Then Chase gets hot late and wins it with Harvick not even in the mix. He's got screwed more than anyone. Would have 4 championships under the regular format and would be nearing legend territory doing this still at 45 years old. Instead he has 1 and is considered a really good driver.

Because of rain in a few corners of the track NASCAR throws a weather caution so that cars can come in and put on rain tires. I don’t think one team that came in for a pit stop put on anything other than slicks.

NASCAR... don’t throw that caution!

Last 5 years of so Jeff Gordon Tony Stewart Dale Jr Matt Kenseth Carl Edwards Jimmie Johnson Clint Boyer

These guys are retiring young too. Compared to growing up guys like Richard Petty or Darrell Waltrip.
You never saw Richard Petty race; he retired in 1992.

for those watching,, the bristol board is 30x63. the su new one is 20x60 but also has 6 ft of ribbin board. so in escence is the same size

speaking of Tony Stewart. hmm

Yeaaa my dad just went on a text rant about how nascar should have held this at Eldora or at least had Tony and his crew come handle the dirt work

Yeaaa my dad just went on a text rant about how nascar should have held this at Eldora or at least had Tony and his crew come handle the dirt work
he is probably ok with it now that i see his Fiancee

what's the deal with the dirt track?

tryning to get a crowd back for the spring race.. covid didnt help that so much though. it was interesting to watch.

Grabbed a pair of tickets for Richmond in a few weeks. Excited to go check out my new home track.