2021 OCC Lacrosse | Syracusefan.com

2021 OCC Lacrosse

Chow

Walk On
I heard today the college has decided to pull out of spring sports. I wonder if its the first domino of others in the area ?

Confirmed by NewsChannel 9.

All Spring Sports cancelled.

Last edited:
My god that’s awful and frankly no reason not to play.

My god that’s awful and frankly no reason not to play.

What's OCC's or SUNY's incentive to run kids out there this spring? Sucks for the players though.

If we go through 2021 as we did 2020, it will be interesting to see how the non-revenue collegiate sports landscape shifts. There is not a lot of incentive to field varsity teams at most schools.

What's OCC's or SUNY's incentive to run kids out there this spring? Sucks for the players though.

If we go through 2021 as we did 2020, it will be interesting to see how the non-revenue collegiate sports landscape shifts. There is not a lot of incentive to field varsity teams at most schools.

what’s the incentive any year though? They don’t make any money any year. This nonsense seems to be a New York VT Massachusetts thing. I can’t see non-revenue sports going away in the south. They’re fully invested.

Every other college is planning a season right now - even D3 - I’m not sure what the deal is with the SUNY junior colleges. New York hi school cancellations I’m sure now though are right around the corner.

hopefully this OCC cancellation wasn’t too late and these kids can still transfer in for spring semester somewhere. Can’t believe they’re going to miss both their seasons at juco when they’re trying to get into a four-year school to play ball. This really crushes their ability to do that. They’ll be regulated to walk-on status next year with no film and not having played in two years.

Last edited:
what’s the incentive any year though? They don’t make any money any year.

I mean, this is really it though. Look at the two conferences most aggressively holding out - the Ivy, and the NESCAC. Both conferences include schools who (allegedly) prioritize education. All their schools have substantial endowments. They do not need prospective student-athletes for the purpose of paying full-freight tuition or even for the application fees.

People can debate the level of risk (you know my boys have been participating since summer without issue), but for some of these schools, there is absolutely no reason to take on even a slight amount of risk, let alone the administrative inconvenience.

This is obviously a massive topic, but if the heavy-hitter P5 schools breakaway and do their own thing for football, I could see it triggering a massive reaction where most lower-level and non-revenue sports basically become club, or the NCAA model comes more into line with club competition.

Hopefully the occ admin is conscious how their decision affects student athletes beyond just no games, The structure of sports helps many student athletes in many ways whether that be time management, guidance and monitioring etc. Take that away, throw in remote learning and some will fall through the cracks.. OCC coaches and counselors need to be active with assistance.

As far as Cuselax, once again going to be at a disadvantage in preparation. Tough hearing about others practicing while a team with high hopes is idled. Recall mumps cutting prep short a few years back, had negative impacted but this is worst .A abbreviated fall hindered by a issue still not closed and now a further delay. Be a short window with much catching up to do. Both coaches and players must be going crazy.

Hopefully the occ admin is conscious how their decision affects student athletes beyond just no games, The structure of sports helps many student athletes in many ways whether that be time management, guidance and monitioring etc. Take that away, throw in remote learning and some will fall through the cracks.. OCC coaches and counselors need to be active with assistance.

As far as Cuselax, once again going to be at a disadvantage in preparation. Tough hearing about others practicing while a team with high hopes is idled. Recall mumps cutting prep short a few years back, had negative impacted but this is worst .A abbreviated fall hindered by a issue still not closed and now a further delay. Be a short window with much catching up to do. Both coaches and players must be going crazy.
Disappointing but very wise decision to end season. Witness pro and collegiate sports that play a truncated and contagious schedule. Many athletes infected, games cancelled. I have lost interest in emaciated college and pro seasons. Little if any meaning except to gain TV money. I hope SU follows OCC's fine example.

Disappointing but very wise decision to end season. Witness pro and collegiate sports that play a truncated and contagious schedule. Many athletes infected, games cancelled. I have lost interest in emaciated college and pro seasons. Little if any meaning except to gain TV money. I hope SU follows OCC's fine example.

I 1000% Disagree with everything you said but I don’t want to degrade the thread so I’ll leave it at that.

I mean, this is really it though. Look at the two conferences most aggressively holding out - the Ivy, and the NESCAC. Both conferences include schools who (allegedly) prioritize education. All their schools have substantial endowments. They do not need prospective student-athletes for the purpose of paying full-freight tuition or even for the application fees.

People can debate the level of risk (you know my boys have been participating since summer without issue), but for some of these schools, there is absolutely no reason to take on even a slight amount of risk, let alone the administrative inconvenience.

This is obviously a massive topic, but if the heavy-hitter P5 schools breakaway and do their own thing for football, I could see it triggering a massive reaction where most lower-level and non-revenue sports basically become club, or the NCAA model comes more into line with club competition.

From an academic standpoint I’ve been blown away by the academic support offered to the student athletes, even at the lowly D3 level. Mandatory study halls, free tutors, mandatory gpas that are much higher than ncaa eligibility standards. In a few weeks we’re going to look at a D2 school down south and they just had 26 kids on their team place on the athletic directors honor roll with over a 3.0 gpa. As a parent that makes me feel pretty good. Without sports kids won’t get that kind of support.

I only see non-revenue sports maybe becoming club in the north east. Non rev sports in the south are a full go, always have always will. The facilities at these places are incredible, better than anything I’ve ever seen in NY. Baseball stadiums are better than triple A and these are like 1500 student D2 schools funding 25 non-rev sports including football teams. Sports is the way of life in the south.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom