2022 Hot Seat Rankings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Hot Seat Rankings

If they manage to beat Louisville in the opener in front of a small but raucous crowd, it will slowly get people in the seats. Beating a team that has had Cuse's number will get noticed.

Absolutely. Everything we state here is just speculation.

What isn't speculation is the buzz around the program, ticket sales and Dino's record so far. All of these things are down, down and mediocre. At some point the buzz and ticket sales will have some impact on how Wildhack sees this program moving forward. We talk about these new coordinators like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban came in to fix the offense and defense. They are an improvement but let's not put them in Canton yet.

I need to see real development and then i'll agree with the "Dino is the guy" absolutists. With wins, ticket sales will improve. I just don't think we will see Dino in 2023 if we flounder to a 4 win (with competitive 8 losses) season

Absolutely. Everything we state here is just speculation.

What isn't speculation is the buzz around the program, ticket sales and Dino's record so far. All of these things are down, down and mediocre. At some point the buzz and ticket sales will have some impact on how Wildhack sees this program moving forward. We talk about these new coordinators like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban came in to fix the offense and defense. They are an improvement but let's not put them in Canton yet.

I need to see real development and then i'll agree with the "Dino is the guy" absolutists. With wins, ticket sales will improve. I just don't think we will see Dino in 2023 if we flounder to a 4 win (with competitive 8 losses) season
There are no “Dino is the guy” absolutists here. I know I get tagged as such - but I’m more in the “not sure it’s worth it to blow it up while there’s still a chance that the ship is righted” camp.

By and large the people who have been calling for his head haven’t thought the timeline of his extension and buyout through fully or they think we’re in the SEC along with unrealistic expectations.

Ticket sales coming off a weird pandemic tinged half normal season that we won 5 games isn’t surprising in the least. This isn’t the 90s though - that ACC money makes season tickets less pressing of an issue

We have a heisman hopeful and multiple future 2023 draft picks. But i’d be shocked if we had 35,000+ for the opener.

That is the state of things.

So it’s not just a Dino problem if this season goes poorly

If they manage to beat Louisville in the opener in front of a small but raucous crowd, it will slowly get people in the seats. Beating a team that has had Cuse's number will get noticed.
Agree, It’s funny, what have we seen the last couple months in local media.
-
Articles about hoe Syracuse and ACC are doomed.
-Articles about Dino being on hot seat.
-Articles about negative season projections

And we’re surprised that ticket sales are poor.

There are no “Dino is the guy” absolutists here. I know I get tagged as such - but I’m more in the “not sure it’s worth it to blow it up while there’s still a chance that the ship is righted” camp.

By and large the people who have been calling for his head haven’t thought the timeline of his extension and buyout through fully or they think we’re in the SEC along with unrealistic expectations.

Ticket sales coming off a weird pandemic tinged half normal season that we won 5 games isn’t surprising in the least. This isn’t the 90s though - that ACC money makes season tickets less pressing of an issue

I wasn't marking anyone as anything. I just don't think we can be firmly in the Dino be damned camp with what we've seen over past 3 years. It's been kinda gross in a GERG-ish fashion. I will say GERG, had he made some of these in game snafus, would have been sauteed much worse.

My issue w ticket sales isn't the liquidity of SU Athletics. Far from it. ACC has underwritten any mismanagement in SUAD in perpetuity really if we aren't going to be an SEC like football machine (which i'm glad we aren't). To me the ticket situation is more holistic about how we are perceived by recruits and people who actually are going to play at Syracuse. Our only secret sauce IMO is the history of the program and the unique dome that is a real game changer when it's full. At 22k people it's a lacrosse game.

There’s no way the Notre Dame game isn’t 40k plus, especially with wins under the belt

Dino seems like a good face of the universities football program but we are a P5 program at some point you have to win games and make bowls.
I’m a big Dino supporter but I don’t disagree, and I doubt many will. He has to get us into bowl games real soon.

There’s no way the Notre Dame game isn’t 40k plus, especially with wins under the belt
Itll be 45k and 30k of it will be Notre Dame fans.

Itll be 45k and 30k of it will be Notre Dame fans.
Hyperbole, There will be a lot of ND fans …..probably 25%. But it will be reported on this board as 80 % ND, because that’s how we roll .

Hyperbole, There will be a lot of ND fans …..probably 25%. But it will be reported on this board as 80 % ND, because that’s how we roll .
I was at the G Rob PSU game. That was not over-exaggerated and I see it being much like that

I was at the G Rob PSU game. That was not over-exaggerated and I see it being much like that

Which was 25%.

Which was 25%

Alright fine, either way its pathetic. We’re expecting reasonably similar home attendance measurables to a game that came off a home loss to Akron.

I understand there’s not been much to get excited about winning season/bowls wise. But it feels like a failure by the powers that be that there’s hardly any hype around the team returning players like Tucker, Jones, Williams, Chestnut etc.

Hoping to see more visual marketing for Sean Tucker, Mikel Jones etc around Syracuse as we near the season opener.

Stuff like the Mayor announcing the official start of football season like what was put in place before the 2019 season. I wonder if thats still a thing?

Or rally’s downtown the night before a home game. I know that was an idea in 2019 but not sure it came to fruition.

I wasn't marking anyone as anything. I just don't think we can be firmly in the Dino be damned camp with what we've seen over past 3 years. It's been kinda gross in a GERG-ish fashion. I will say GERG, had he made some of these in game snafus, would have been sauteed much worse.

My issue w ticket sales isn't the liquidity of SU Athletics. Far from it. ACC has underwritten any mismanagement in SUAD in perpetuity really if we aren't going to be an SEC like football machine (which i'm glad we aren't). To me the ticket situation is more holistic about how we are perceived by recruits and people who actually are going to play at Syracuse. Our only secret sauce IMO is the history of the program and the unique dome that is a real game changer when it's full. At 22k people it's a lacrosse game.
My point is that no one is making that case. I don't see anyone saying that we should ride with Dino no matter what and that the past 3 years don't factor in - including Wildhack.

I'm not sure saying the last three years have been Gerg-ian helps your case at all. "If you lop off the successful parts of his career, he compares with the worst coach in our history" is lame.

Chicken and the egg with local interest, ticket sales etc. I don't think if we hired a new guy it would markedly change anything beyond a slight tick up initially. I personally think if your goal is an amped up fanbase and better ticket sales - the opportunity is more likely under Dino this year than a rebuild. It will just have to build as we win ;)

My point is that no one is making that case. I don't see anyone saying that we should ride with Dino no matter what and that the past 3 years don't factor in - including Wildhack.

I'm not sure saying the last three years have been Gerg-ian helps your case at all. "If you lop off the successful parts of his career, he compares with the worst coach in our history" is lame.

Chicken and the egg with local interest, ticket sales etc. I don't think if we hired a new guy it would markedly change anything beyond a slight tick up initially. I personally think if your goal is an amped up fanbase and better ticket sales - the opportunity is more likely under Dino this year than a rebuild. It will just have to build as we win ;)
Isn't this the same post you had last year at this time? Just a copy and paste post...

Alright fine, either way its pathetic. We’re expecting reasonably similar home attendance measurables to a game that came off a home loss to Akron.

I understand there’s not been much to get excited about winning season/bowls wise. But it feels like a failure by the powers that be that there’s hardly any hype around the team returning players like Tucker, Jones, Williams, Chestnut etc.

Hoping to see more visual marketing for Sean Tucker, Mikel Jones etc around Syracuse as we near the season opener.

Stuff like the Mayor announcing the official start of football season like what was put in place before the 2019 season. I wonder if thats still a thing?

Or rally’s downtown the night before a home game. I know that was an idea in 2019 but not sure it came to fruition.
maybe we shouldn't do anything that was done in 2019, that was one hellish season, bad jinx

maybe we shouldn't do anything that was done in 2019, that was one hellish season, bad jinx
We had a lot of issues that contributed to 2019 and snowballed. But community engagement wasn’t one of those issues

We could start with Pitt.

We went from saying we should be a bowl team more years than not to being ok with being a bowl team once every four years so long as 2 of the other 3 had some semblance of competitiveness.

Our brands rapidly depreciated over two decades and as of right now aside from the IPF and building upgrades its hard to argue its stopped its downward trajectory at all.

Ok. Pitt is fair. I just wasn't sure why you didn't want to be UVA level under Mendenhall. First year was terrible (as are first years for a lot of people at new jobs) but then bowl team every year since. Some bowls better than others.

If we can have a bowl level team each year with an exciting offense, I'd take it. That's what UVA appeared to be.

Will be curious to see what happens to Pitt post Whipple. He seemed to be the key that took them to another level.

Ok. Pitt is fair. I just wasn't sure why you didn't want to be UVA level under Mendenhall. First year was terrible (as are first years for a lot of people at new jobs) but then bowl team every year since. Some bowls better than others.

If we can have a bowl level team each year with an exciting offense, I'd take it. That's what UVA appeared to be.

Will be curious to see what happens to Pitt post Whipple. He seemed to be the key that took them to another level.
beggars can’t be choosers, I take it back I’d take UVA too hah

Isn't this the same post you had last year at this time? Just a copy and paste post...
Not sure how that’s possible. 3 years would have gone back to 2018 when you and everyone else was happy as a f clam to root on our team to 10 wins

your general disposition doesn’t seem to shift so maybe it was everyone but you lol

I know everyone loves Dino but when I met him at the spring game I really wasn’t impressed with his personality tbh.
To be fair to Dino, he’s a head football coach not the pope, he’s not going to be rainbows 24/7.