2022 Men's DI Midseason All-Americans

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
FPMWb-FXoBEh6aw

Third Team
ATucker DordevicSyracuse
Honorable Mention
MBrendan CurrySyracuse

If Tucker keeps up his current play, I think he will be up to 2nd team or maybe even 1st team at the end of the year. Attack is such a talented position - tough to give players the credit they deserve.

I think leaving Matt Moore off the team is a bit of a joke. Moore has been a little banged up but 26 points in 7 games is pretty good. It's about the same average as O'Neill who has 45 points in 12 games.
I would actually put Cormier on the honorable mention list also.

If Tucker keeps up his current play, I think he will be up to 2nd team or maybe even 1st team at the end of the year. Attack is such a talented position - tough to give players the credit they deserve.
He is going crazy this season. Great to see as there have been some doubters in his earlier years. He could definitely move up to second team, but 1st team might be coronations rather than a contest this year unfortunately.

I think leaving Matt Moore off the team is a bit of a joke. Moore has been a little banged up but 26 points in 7 games is pretty good. It's about the same average as O'Neill who has 45 points in 12 games.
Yeah having neither at least make the honorable mention list is indeed a joke. Duke guys always get an inflation in stats that never is properly acknowledged. Moore is a way better player than ONeill at present.

Skalniak from Navy is a kid I believe who was once committed here. Stings losing that along with the countless other former commits/transfers playing well in D1 right now.

Agree 100%! Of course, these lists are always up for debate. Keegan Khan is probably overshadowed by Wisnauskas and Donville. Zach Cole's fogo stats and Brett Dobson's goalie stats are tremendous but against weaker competition - it's so hard to make comparisons across conferences let alone each team's strength of schedule.

I'm not sure why I spent so much time on this, but I thought it would be intersting to look at all of the offensive players and how the lined up against each other when it came down to points per game. It's not a perfect deciding factor obviously, but a lot of the time I think people just look at total points and say, "that is guy better". Or get in based on name recognition. If you chose the offensive positions just by PPG, the first three teams would look like this:

1st Team
Attack

Nichtern - 6.44
Gray - 6.33
Shellenberger -6.25

Midfield
Handley - 5.17
Campbell - 4.63
Skalniak - 4

Second Team
Attack

Nolting - 6.22
D'Alto - 6
Brandau - 5.67

Midfield
Strough - 3.78
Curry - 3.63
Bundy JR - 3.63

Third Team
Attack

Wisnaskas - 5.63
Dordevic - 5.25
Myers - 5.22

Midfield
Reid - 3.44
Hannah - 3.33
Donville, English, Blake - 3

Look at those attack numbers. Just absurd how much guys are scoring this year. Players like Kirst (5.13) and Scott (4.9) aren't far behind. And most of those guys are doing a lot heavy lifting for their teams. Brandau is almost single handily carrying Yale offensively. Even Wisnaukus is averaging two extra points per game than the next highest scorer on his team (Khan at 3.25). Nichtern has 30(!) more points than the next leading scorer on Army. Cormier and Moore are having good seasons but they're "only" averaging 3.71 and 3.5 points per game. Nowhere close to what other attackmen in the country are doing. Not one school has more than one attackman named on this All American list. Has that ever happened before?

Trying to figure out what positions certain players fit into is really hard - Handley has played most of the year at attack but moved to middie in Penn's last game. I think Campbell for Nova moved to attack in their last game but is listed as a middie. That seems a little unfair to normal middies.

Strough and D'Alto are the two guys who probably are benefitting from easer schedules, I think the best team either has faced is Harvard. That is a perfect example of why you don't factor in just points to these things. But again, it is interesting to look at.

I think Dordevic should at least get second team. His points per game line up, he's the defense's number one mark each game but it doesn't matter. The turnovers for him are high 1.5 per game, but I think that comes with the territory. And that's nowhere close to what Gray (2.67) and Nichtern (2.78) are averaging per game. I would actually keep the IL version for attackmen, but move Dordevic to second team and Myers to third.

Guys who looked like outliers to me before looking at numbers were guys like Montgomery, Tevlin and Long. The numbers didn't seem to back them up - Montgomery is averaging just 2.75 points per game. Long and DeMaio are at 2.5 and 2.38. I'm sure they are getting a bump since Maryland is so good, but Long at third team? Zach80, am I missing something? I'm guessing Tevlin is having a really good defensive season, he's scored just 11 points in six games and is shooting just 15% on the year.

Zawada has put up a lot of points, but is averaging just 3.9 points per game against an extremely easy schedule. I'm not sure I would have him on this list.

Besides SOS, midfield numbers are also affected by the amount of time the midfielder stays on. Maryland has been playing their 2nd midfield quite a bit. Maryland has also had a number of one-sided games, where the first midfield hasn't played the whole game. Maryland went to the reserves for the 4th quarter against PSU and at halftime against Albany.. It's also fair to note that Wisnauskas seemed to sit by the halfway point of the 2nd quarter against Albany.
- So going just with point scoring average has its problems.

As for Kyle Long, given his dodging ability, he usually gets the opponent's lsm, while DeMaio and Donville usually get ssdms (which are match-ups that one wants to take advantage of). Another thing with Long, is that Tillman has decided to go with the big shot of Murphy on man-up instead of Long, so Long has no man-up goals or assists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom