Polls for Apr 1: Media #4 / Coaches #4 / USALAX #9 | Syracusefan.com

Polls for Apr 1: Media #4 / Coaches #4 / USALAX #9

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
660aa9ab29883.jpg

Notre Dame is No. 1 in the Men’s DI Media Poll for consecutive weeks after handling a Top 5 matchup against Syracuse on Saturday. It sets up another Top 5 ACC matchup when they travel to No. 3 Duke this coming Saturday.

Virginia survived a scare from Harvard and remains at No. 2 while the Blue Devils follow and the Orange only drop one spot, to No. 4.

Maryland was one of the big winners of the weekend. The Terps dispatched Penn State late Sunday to rise to No. 6.

Penn moves up to 12 from 15, and the most intrigue happened in the back part of the Top 20. Towson (18), Richmond (19) and Saint Joseph’s (20) all enter the Top 20. The Hawks are among the hottest teams in the country winning six-straight games; they doubled up High Point in A-10 play Saturday.

Check out the full Men’s DI Media Poll.

1Notre Dame (6 - 1)478 (22)1
2Virginia (9 - 1)458 (2)2
3Duke (10 - 2)4035
4Syracuse (9 - 3)3973
5Army (8 - 1)3816

Last edited:

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I
MEN’S TOP 20​

1. Notre Dame, 6-1 (Prev: 1)
2. Virginia, 9-1 (Prev: 3)
3. Army, 8-1 (Prev: 4)
4. Duke, 10-2 (Prev: 6)
5. Penn State, 7-2 (Prev: 2)
6. Johns Hopkins, 7-3 (Prev: 7)
7. Georgetown, 7-2 (Prev: 8)
8. Maryland, 6-3 (Prev: 13)
9. Syracuse, 9-3 (Prev: 5)
10. Yale, 6-2 (Prev: 10)
11. Denver, 7-2 (Prev: 11)
12. Penn, 7-3 (Prev: 15)
13. Cornell, 5-3 (Prev: 9)
14. Princeton, 6-3 (Prev: 14)
15. Michigan, 6-4 (Prev: 12)
16. Boston U, 7-3 (Prev: 16)
17. Richmond, 6-4 (Prev: 19)
18. Harvard, 6-3 (Prev: 17)
19. Towson, 7-3 (Prev: NR)
20. North Carolina, 6-4 (Prev: 18)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Colgate (6-4), Delaware (5-3), Navy (6-4), Ohio State (6-5), Rutgers (6-4), Saint Joseph’s (6-3), Villanova (6-4)

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I​

MEN’S TOP 20​

1. Notre Dame, 6-1 (Prev: 1)
2. Virginia, 9-1 (Prev: 3)
3. Army, 8-1 (Prev: 4)
4. Duke, 10-2 (Prev: 6)
5. Penn State, 7-2 (Prev: 2)
6. Johns Hopkins, 7-3 (Prev: 7)
7. Georgetown, 7-2 (Prev: 8)
8. Maryland, 6-3 (Prev: 13)
9. Syracuse, 9-3 (Prev: 5)
10. Yale, 6-2 (Prev: 10)
11. Denver, 7-2 (Prev: 11)
12. Penn, 7-3 (Prev: 15)
13. Cornell, 5-3 (Prev: 9)
14. Princeton, 6-3 (Prev: 14)
15. Michigan, 6-4 (Prev: 12)
16. Boston U, 7-3 (Prev: 16)
17. Richmond, 6-4 (Prev: 19)
18. Harvard, 6-3 (Prev: 17)
19. Towson, 7-3 (Prev: NR)
20. North Carolina, 6-4 (Prev: 18)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Colgate (6-4), Delaware (5-3), Navy (6-4), Ohio State (6-5), Rutgers (6-4), Saint Joseph’s (6-3), Villanova (6-4)
Wow, that’s messed up

GKFIxcaXMAAgNLA

3) Syracuse​

Orange came up short at Notre Dame 14-12. They played in spurts, tied 3-3..then overwhelmed by a deluge down 10-5 and 13-7. SU finished with pride scoring three straight to make it interesting late. Finn Thomson, Luke Rhoa and Michael Leo were the bright spots on offense. Face-off wins and attack production were lacking.

Sophomore #22 Joey Spallina is averaging 5.6 points per game. In five games versus elite opponents, he averages 2.6 ppg. Against lesser foes, he averages 7.1 ppg. With slick sticks and creative minds, this offense can be dangerous, but the lack of initiation from the attack and from behind the goal was baffling. Plug in the UVA at ND 2023 tape and Georgetown 2024 win at Arlotta and you’ll see a ND defense that struggles with the ball at X.

The biggest issue on defense is the short stick group, which was at a physical disadvantage in one-on-one’s all afternoon. SU didn’t want to slide off Jake Taylor. So ND scored unassisted goals.

There are reasons to be encouraged by this loss, the Orange (9-3) persevered showing courage and will, the defense dug in late in the face of a possession disparity and Will Mark never flinched. Fix the face-offs and develop a better offensive plan and the next time we may witness a different outcome.

#HHH goalie Will Mark was my guest on the Quintessential Podcast this week. He was terrific, talking about his career journey from Danville, CA to LIU to Syracuse and the variety of challenges that goalies face.

Otto takes the short trip to Cornell on Tuesday at 7pm. This is a vital game between the ACC and Ivy League. Great to see these NY territorial rivals reunited. I expect SU to score. After Tuesday, Syracuse plays twice in the month of April – North Carolina and Virginia. That’s it. Their schedule is kind of bizarre.

The USA Lacrosse list has had us lower than the others all season. Does anyone know who does this list? Is it a poll of many or a list just one person puts together? Does any media use it? I think ESPN uses the media poll & I saw last night the Big Ten Network uses the USILA poll which I assume is the coaches poll. Thanks.

3 or 4 is right

Nobody has played a tougher schedule. Two ot and 2 two goal road loss against #1

The USA Lacrosse list has had us lower than the others all season. Does anyone know who does this list? Is it a poll of many or a list just one person puts together? Does any media use it? I think ESPN uses the media poll & I saw last night the Big Ten Network uses the USILA poll which I assume is the coaches poll. Thanks.
Is it just Patrick Stevens' list? Surprising if so; he's usually not that anti-Syracuse. Whoever's list it is didn't watch our game with ND and just took into account the first three quarters of the game and assumed we made it close in garbage time. Didn't realize we could have made it closer or even won the game.

GKFIxcaXMAAgNLA

3) Syracuse​

Orange came up short at Notre Dame 14-12. They played in spurts, tied 3-3..then overwhelmed by a deluge down 10-5 and 13-7. SU finished with pride scoring three straight to make it interesting late. Finn Thomson, Luke Rhoa and Michael Leo were the bright spots on offense. Face-off wins and attack production were lacking.

Sophomore #22 Joey Spallina is averaging 5.6 points per game. In five games versus elite opponents, he averages 2.6 ppg. Against lesser foes, he averages 7.1 ppg. With slick sticks and creative minds, this offense can be dangerous, but the lack of initiation from the attack and from behind the goal was baffling. Plug in the UVA at ND 2023 tape and Georgetown 2024 win at Arlotta and you’ll see a ND defense that struggles with the ball at X.

The biggest issue on defense is the short stick group, which was at a physical disadvantage in one-on-one’s all afternoon. SU didn’t want to slide off Jake Taylor. So ND scored unassisted goals.

There are reasons to be encouraged by this loss, the Orange (9-3) persevered showing courage and will, the defense dug in late in the face of a possession disparity and Will Mark never flinched. Fix the face-offs and develop a better offensive plan and the next time we may witness a different outcome.

#HHH goalie Will Mark was my guest on the Quintessential Podcast this week. He was terrific, talking about his career journey from Danville, CA to LIU to Syracuse and the variety of challenges that goalies face.

Otto takes the short trip to Cornell on Tuesday at 7pm. This is a vital game between the ACC and Ivy League. Great to see these NY territorial rivals reunited. I expect SU to score. After Tuesday, Syracuse plays twice in the month of April – North Carolina and Virginia. That’s it. Their schedule is kind of bizarre.
I would say a VERY bizarre schedule.

4. Syracuse
Kinnear’s Vote: 3
There aren’t moral victories at this level but giving Notre Dame arguably its toughest test of the year (outside of the Georgetown loss) must mean something. Notre Dame’s Will Lynch controlled the face-off X, and Syracuse was still able to muster enough to keep it a two-goal result.

Seven-straight losses to the Irish seems like a typo, but it is not.

With all the great offensive players in the ACC – and man, there are a ton of them – it’s been an incredible year for goalies. Will Mark made 15, and that number feels almost like a guarantee.

There’s not much left to say about the program with the biggest spotlight in the land. They’ll get a chance to respond Tuesday night vs. Cornell in yet another Top 10 game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom