2022 Under Armour All-America Games: July 28-31 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Under Armour All-America Games: July 28-31

saw only one extended bit of play on spallina and was impressed at times but not blown away in a h.s. game

of course these are all-star games, but he did look better.

he's not going to run by a lot of people, so it's possible teams may try to make him do it without slides. he'll likely be loads stronger in a college weight program and in the above case it'll matter if he can win the 5x5 with guys.
- don't think much yet of his left (and maybe neither does he) but if guys try to keep him from his right, he's developed a decent option off his back when on the left side.
- he's of course smart and times his passes to cuts/space well.
- again all-star games so maybe just screwing around, but his btb passes... are not canadian. this is just random... he does have gg as a coach now.

cuse needs a fogo. duh. really surprising a year and 2 transfer cycles, + 6 months to flip '22s... and the offense may not be able to be developed fully bc they can't get the ball (and maybe press). in their 6 conference games alone, tough to see how they'll fare well there. if they have maryland again, goodnight.
Oh you wont need to worry about the btb passes. I have seen some quite promising footage on that front in recent years. The off hand is a funny thing these days as there are a lot of top guys who basically do not use it at all levels. Still think it is important to have a passable offhand shot in your arsenal, no matter how good your btb antics are.

Spallina is certainly a ball dominant player. In the Mt Sinai games I watched, defenses would constantly try and shut him off, and come hell or high water other Mustang players would make sure he got the ball. It was actually pretty impressive. He does put up a lot of shots in all his games.

I do wonder how that will translate to his new team. A lot of the offensive players on SU right now do not need the ball in their stick for long to make an impact. A lot of these players are Canadian so I think that’s a big reason why, but Leo played in a motion offense in high school, Rhoa is a time and room shooter, Birtwistle has a very Canadian style game. So I wonder will all those pieces compliment Spallina, or will he be a cog in the machine? I truly believe he’ll work well with all his other teammates but I think he’ll have to adjust a bit.

That said it is pretty amazing the amount of nit picking the poor kid gets. He set the Long Island scoring record without playing his sophomore season. He puts up points in every game he plays. He lost one game all season and still had something like five points despite not seeing the ball due to losing faceoffs. He is not the perfect player but he’s really freaking good. He’s really strong, he’s fast enough, he’s got great stick skills and can shoot the daylights out of the ball. Plus he’s a tremendous passer so the ball doesn’t die in his stick. I think he’s going to be a really good college lacrosse player.

That said it is pretty amazing the amount of nit picking the poor kid gets. He set the Long Island scoring record without playing his sophomore season. He puts up points in every game he plays. He lost one game all season and still had something like five points despite not seeing the ball due to losing faceoffs. He is not the perfect player but he’s really freaking good. He’s really strong, he’s fast enough, he’s got great stick skills and can shoot the daylights out of the ball. Plus he’s a tremendous passer so the ball doesn’t die in his stick. I think he’s going to be a really good college lacrosse player.

I find myself over analyzing his game too (mostly the athleticism piece), then I remember that he has been a mainstay in LI since 8th grade, the LI scoring record holder, played up on one of the most dominate club teams in history, coach's kid, professional bloodline, unanimous #1 player in class, and pretty much is the alpha at every all-star event. The kids know who the best is. They defer to Joey.

Who's the comparison player? He's a ball dominant X who is not overly athletic. Nichtern? Someone thought Ryan Powell?

Man ppl do nit pick this kids game. He's legit a great player and will be a great college player. Anyone who thinks otherwise just has an issue with him for some reason. The kid can shoot and pass with the best of them so no matter what he's gonna be a great college player. Will he be the best idk maybe but even if he isn't he's gonna be damn good. Someone mentioned a Chris Gray type of player and even tho he is bigger and stronger I can see that with his shooting and passing. One of the biggest things he has is how much of a competitor he is. The kid dominated LI lacrosse since he was 13 yrs old. He just won MVP vs the best players his age who are all going to big time schools. Ppl can nit pick all they want but when he collects his All American honors and helps bring back a championship to Cuse they will be silent and it will turn their stomach which I can't wait. Haters will always hate

I find myself over analyzing his game too (mostly the athleticism piece), then I remember that he has been a mainstay in LI since 8th grade, the LI scoring record holder, played up on one of the most dominate club teams in history, coach's kid, professional bloodline, unanimous #1 player in class, and pretty much is the alpha at every all-star event. The kids know who the best is. They defer to Joey.

Who's the comparison player? He's a ball dominant X who is not overly athletic. Nichtern? Someone thought Ryan Powell?
Nichtern was a whole other level as far as strength goes. Believe he was a good deal taller than spallina too. His dodging reminds me a lot of Connor fields in college, as well as rehfuss in his later years. His bread and butter move where he bodies up the guy and then goes behind the back is also right out of the Miles Thompson playbook.

Man ppl do nit pick this kids game. He's legit a great player and will be a great college player. Anyone who thinks otherwise just has an issue with him for some reason. The kid can shoot and pass with the best of them so no matter what he's gonna be a great college player. Will he be the best idk maybe but even if he isn't he's gonna be damn good. Someone mentioned a Chris Gray type of player and even tho he is bigger and stronger I can see that with his shooting and passing. One of the biggest things he has is how much of a competitor he is. The kid dominated LI lacrosse since he was 13 yrs old. He just won MVP vs the best players his age who are all going to big time schools. Ppl can nit pick all they want but when he collects his All American honors and helps bring back a championship to Cuse they will be silent and it will turn their stomach which I can't wait. Haters will always hate

To be honest the only people nitpicking his game are non SU fans over at fanlax and randos on Twitter. Any SU fan concerned about Spallina or Thompson or Leo at this level is a fn idiot

Spallina is certainly a ball dominant player. In the Mt Sinai games I watched, defenses would constantly try and shut him off, and come hell or high water other Mustang players would make sure he got the ball. It was actually pretty impressive. He does put up a lot of shots in all his games.

I do wonder how that will translate to his new team. A lot of the offensive players on SU right now do not need the ball in their stick for long to make an impact. A lot of these players are Canadian so I think that’s a big reason why, but Leo played in a motion offense in high school, Rhoa is a time and room shooter, Birtwistle has a very Canadian style game. So I wonder will all those pieces compliment Spallina, or will he be a cog in the machine? I truly believe he’ll work well with all his other teammates but I think he’ll have to adjust a bit.

agree with most of this. I am always fascinated with trying to determine what makes a smaller player like Gray into an almost unstoppable scorer and passer. No matter the size of his defender or defenders, he stays just around their outside shoulders long enough to loose a quick strong accurate shot. To do it he and Spallina have very low centers of gravity, very strong and agile hips, wide bases, exceptional balance, and strong hands and wrists. All this does not explain the legerdemain, yes even the magic of their passes. Inscrutable, a lot of it. What keeps me watching.

To be honest the only people nitpicking his game are non SU fans over at fanlax and randos on Twitter. Any SU fan concerned about Spallina or Thompson or Leo at this level is a fn idiot
I always keep a little dollop of skepticism myself. The Terps have had a number of top attack recruits who haven't really panned out over the years. Then there is also the level that the players reach.

I don't really see it as nitpicking. He is the consensus #1 recruit so naturally a lot of eyes are on his game and how it will translate at the next level. He has also been arguably the most hyped recruit in the history of the sport and he and his family have played into that, and are not shying away from it whatsoever, so some healthy skepticism is perfectly appropriate. It'd be one thing if he avoided the spotlight but that hasn't really been the case. Regardless, the vast majority of commentary I've seen about him has been positive. He's going to be an impact attackman if he stays healthy, the question is just how impactful. His floor is guaranteed but the question is his ceiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom