2023-24 Coaching Carousel | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

I’d assume Mark Pope, current BYU head coach and former Kentucky national champion is at the top of the list of back up plans.

I’d assume Mark Pope, current BYU head coach and former Kentucky national champion is at the top of the list of back up plans.
Agree. He’s probably Plan G or whatever. Seems like a solid coach but not sure he would definitely deliver them national titles

Down Kentucky’s list we move, further and further down. Tells how entitled, overly critical fans and their administrations who demand immediate results and unrelenting expectations, can even affect a ‘blue blood’ program that offers ridiculous amounts of money and prestige, can make a job not worth it. Interesting times and now KY is looking at a Ky grad.

Appears that more coaches are looking around deciding they have it pretty good now with more realistic expectations, good money and their efforts appreciated. Some coaches previously mentioned probably received bump ups etc in their contracts. Some interesting messages being seen in some of these coaching searches. The state of KY has had quite a year.

Not that he would have left the NBA, but I think Steve Kerr would be a great college coach.

I told y’all.

I could be the one big dumb idiot om this while the mass is correct but I actually don’t think this is a terrible hire at this point into the search(Hurley, drew, oats, Donovan, etc either didn’t or weren’t happening). I know, I know 0 tournament wins, no conference championships, etc but you have to realize the limitations of byu and playing in a one-two bid league with a perennial power house like Gonzaga. You also have to look at the landscape of coaches out there. People were talking about such names at Bruce pearl, slick Rick, etc and to me that just doesn’t make sense. Rick wasn’t gonna go back HES got the perfect set up right at home. Bruce pearls antics with that fanbase would’ve been a show, and both guys don’t have many years left. Pope can connect with the fanbase, has connections to the school alums, and WANTS TO BE THERE. He’s smart, can really in game coach, it’ll be an upgrade on the court and in practice, the biggest factor will be can he get guys there, can he recruit. Kentucky isn’t exactly recruiting for itself it was all cal and his allure. Also, their NIL isn’t exactly up to what you’d think a school like Kentucky would and should be so they’re going to have to and I’d assume, really dig into that. Where they really screwed up was not having “that guy” as an assistant that grew under cal for years to become the next one up like alot of their peers have done.

Kentucky fans are so stupid lmao I don't think Pope is anything close to a homerun hire but the guy can coach his ass off and they'll have the NIL to be just fine in recruiting. There aren't many better offensive head coaches in the sport right now. BYU ran some beauuutiful stuff.